Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, I was riding home today on my CB300F and when I got off the bike I noticed that the back tire had a nail in it. My bike is my only form of transportation so without it I literally have no way of getting to work or school. What can I do to fix this problem.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Tires can pick up nails and not lose pressure but, if you've got a flat, head to an auto parts store by cab, bus, walk, and get a patch kit and patch it. It's a simple process and the kits aren't expensive. Pick up a pump too, if the kit you purchased doesn't have a CO2 cartridge meant to re-fill the tire.

I'd avoid fix-a-flat and items like that...though that's just my personal opinion.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Here is a picture of the nail. Hopefully it just needs a plug and not a new tire entirely. The fastest I go is only about 60-65mph
Do not use a plug... motorcycle tires should only be patched from the inside.

From your photo it looks like that tire is pretty squared off in the center area of the tread, and it's getting close to replacement time, so you might want to consider just getting a new one at this point... the labor cost to dismount, install a patch, remount the tire and balance it will be about the same as the labor to mount and balance a new one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
With all due respect to Moto, I would plug and wear out the tire by riding it. The nail is in the middle of the tread, should take a plug (mushroom type if you can find it}with no worries!

·
Registered
295 Posts
With all due respect to Moto, I would plug and wear out the tire by riding it. The nail is in the middle of the tread, should take a plug (mushroom type if you can find it}with no worries!
If it were up to me i'd rather go the way Moto recommended, safest way to do it.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
picked up a woodscrew in 250 mid rear tyre
which after the 'pop' and feel of it bedding in
a few rotations, held its air, incl after checking,
so it was rideable, yet even so, she was approaching
new tyres, esp rear, so used the excuse for new
pirelli sd's..

= new start to tyre life, nice tyres,
and bonus peace of mind..

plenty of riders have used plugs
esp middle of tread..
we plugged my sons emergency scoot
[pizza deliveries] which he abuses
[rides it like a dirt bike] and yet
its still out there couple years
later with its plug intact
with no pressure loss..

imo if you can afford new tyres,
its an easy decision..

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
we plugged my sons emergency scoot
[pizza deliveries] which he abuses
[rides it like a dirt bike] and yet
its still out there couple years
later with its plug intact
with no pressure loss..
Ah... the fool hardiness of youth eh :laugh:

When I was 21 I rode a Kwaka 900 from Adelaide to Perth 2,700km across the Nullabor desert road with a nail in the rear tyre that I knew full well was there.
My thinking was that the nail was doing a fine job of blocking the hole!

I made it...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I actually got a screw in the center of my back tire on the way home from the dealership. Almost every motorcycle shop just wanted to plug the thing. I ended up finding instructions on the 250 forum on how to remove the back wheel. Then I took it to a motorcycle shop where they removed the tire. Next I took the tire down the street to a tire shop where they did a sealed vulcanized patch from the inside and didn't even charge me. Then back to the motorcycle shop where they remounted and balanced the wheel.

All said and done it took me a couple of hours and about $30. Taking off the rear axle was easier than I expected, once I had the tools.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts