Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi yes I have a Honda cb300f and I know that I have a little bit too big of a tire on my motorcycle but that’s how it was given to me whenever I got it bought it. I have ordered a new tire but I’m having some issues with my chain, rubbing my rear tire, it’s only in one spot, and if I rotate the tire and the chain, there’s one spot where it gets real close to the to the tire. How do I fix that with the rest of the chain and the rest of the chain doesn’t even get near close to that to the tire, any advice would be very helpful because I can roll that the tire and roll the tire and rubber tire and the chain never get close to the tire put in one spot. It just gets real close to the tire and it’s starting to eat my sidewall of a tire. Please help.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi yes I have a Honda cb300f and I know that I have a little bit too big of a tire on my motorcycle but that’s how it was given to me whenever I got it bought it. I have ordered a new tire but I’m having some issues with my chain, rubbing my rear tire, it’s only in one spot, and if I rotate the tire and the chain, there’s one spot where it gets real close to the to the tire. How do I fix that with the rest of the chain and the rest of the chain doesn’t even get near close to that to the tire, any advice would be very helpful because I can roll that the tire and roll the tire and rubber tire and the chain never get close to the tire put in one spot. It just gets real close to the tire and it’s starting to eat my sidewall of a tire. Please help.
Sorry hope that makes sense I’m super tired I only have my motorcycle as my main way of transportation so please i have tried to align the tires and the chain just moves over in one spot and hits the sidewall of the tire

· Super Moderator
5,735 Posts
What's the gap between the chain and the tyre 180 degrees opposite from where it touches at? Tyres are never perfectly concentric but maybe your rim is not perfectly straight too.
Do you have a rear stand to lift the rear wheel off the ground? If you do then put the back end of the bike up on the stand and spin the rear wheel with the bike in neutral and observe how true the tyre runs at its out side edges.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's the gap between the chain and the tyre 180 degrees opposite from where it touches at? Tyres are never perfectly concentric but maybe your rim is not perfectly straight too.
Do you have a rear stand to lift the rear wheel off the ground? If you do then put the back end of the bike up on the stand and spin the rear wheel with the bike in neutral and observe how true the tyre runs at its out side edges.
Hey thanks for the reply yes I have it up on a rear stand and I have spun the Tyre a bunch and in about a 4 or 5 inch section the chain gets pretty close and I have noticed that it hits the tire after I ride it down the road but all I have done was align the tires with a string and the chain is straight but the chain in the 4or 5in section gets close and has been hitting my tire but only in the same spot on the tire

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks for the reply yes I have it up on a rear stand and I have spun the Tyre a bunch and in about a 4 or 5 inch section the chain gets pretty close and I have noticed that it hits the tire after I ride it down the road but all I have done was align the tires with a string and the chain is straight but the chain in the 4or 5in section gets close and has been hitting my tire but only in the same spot on the tire
The chain looks straight and then the section of a few inches moves in towards the tire like the place the chain moves over is two or 3 inches from the sprocket it does like a slight ( towards the tire and then the chain straightens out and I spin the tire and it looks good and then I get to the spot and it moves towards the tire

· Super Moderator
5,735 Posts
Well if you've got an oversize tyre on there then you may just need to trim 1/8th of an inch off the side of the tyre where it rubs with a box knife. Is it a 150 or a 160 size tyre?

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well if you've got an oversize tyre on there then you may just need to trim 1/8th of an inch off the side of the tyre where it rubs with a box knife. Is it a 150 or a 160 size tyre?
Well the owner before me had but a 160/60/17 on the rear and he had already took a box blade or something but the marks where it is hiting is a little higher than the side wall like I can get a picture of it if that will help

· Super Moderator
5,735 Posts
The problem has been created by the PO fitting that oversize tyre so you'll just have to live with it and trim more rubber off where required or fit a 140.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's hard for me to visualize something I can't see, so this site is helpful to me. It allows you to plug in different sized tires to be compared.
Tire Size Comparison
[/QUOTE
I understand that but I found the problem my rim is bent and my bearings are messed up and my sprocket is bent in one spot on the rear, so looks like I’m gonna have to go ahead and buy a full rear end for this motorcycle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts