Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just treated myself to a CBR300 for my birthday - can't wait to ride it (literally arrived a few hours ago, but stuck at work)!

I have ridden on and off since my teens but never seriously. Got a CB125e to keep at my parents place in the country to ride around on weekends, and after riding my partners CBR250 a few times decided it was a good bike to start me off in the city. By the time I got the cash together the 300's were out.

Looking forward to getting my personalised plates on it, getting comfortable with it and possibly making a few modifications to make it my own!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
as you would expect, honda has designed and
manufactured a new crankshaft, conrod and
balancer for this engine, not just to increase
stroke thus add 36cc, but for the overall
increase in rideability this creates..

extra usable power/torque is available at
lower rpm and thru the rev range..
engine spins smoothly and relatively
quietly for this type of engine..

once you take her somewhere quiet and
introduce yourself to her then go thru
some basic riding skills practice,
it just gets better from there...

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
The black is definitely the most underrated exterior for this bike. Very aggressive, classic, and will never grow old.

Have fun with it. Looks like you made a wise choice by trying out your friend's first... And then saving up the cash without rushing into it. Smart man.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had a couple of rides finally once the rain let up, liking the bike a lot already :D

The throttle was VERY touchy to begin with, but it seemed to relax a bit after a while (or maybe I relaxed a bit haha). I notice that unless I'm stopped or going very slow facing uphill it's very easy to start off again in 2nd gear - the 250 was a bit more reluctant to do that. After adjusting the gear lever up a couple of notches so I could get my toe under it without getting calf-cramp it changes very easily, happy with that. Also liking the narrower sitting position compared to the 250 - I'm not short but begin able to grip the bike tighter and have my legs straighter when stopped just makes for easier riding.

We noticed that the 250 actually has a slight metallic in the black, whereas the 300 doesn't...not a big deal, just interesting. The black plastic on the sides that goes from beside the tank to under the seat has a 'weave' pattern stamped into it...nice touch considering the 250 just uses flat black on the equivalent bits.

I did actually like the idea of getting a black 250 and adding some silver highlight fairings which seemed to be readily available online - just to personalise it a bit. No such luck with the 300 this far, seems it's too new? I have seen a couple of sites that sell every single fairing piece as spare parts though, so I guess the option to buy them and get them painted properly is there, if I really want something unique.

Would love to mimic the yellow decals on the matte black SE version (but in silver or gunmetal) - but that's a big project...would need some sheets of good quality film and lots of patience to get the shapes right and applied well. I wonder if Honda would give me the template ;)

Definitely want to get a fender eliminator and new indicators - not fussed with those. Already have a personalised black plate with silver lettering so that will match nicely :) Still deciding on the carbon-fiber look fenders, cowl and tank cover from Honda...probably need to see them in person.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
all black is also more, visible, to drivers facing the sun
and in similar situations where a solid mass stands out
more than broken visual elements.. [anti 'white-out effect']

even yellow, red or orange stand out more
when combined with black..
not just as in a frame for an image
but as in poisonous snakes, wasps etc,
which we recognise as 'danger'..

thru watching motogp/2/3 the many colour combos