Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my CBR300 for commuting. They were going for $4970 incl ORC. Hard to say no at that price.

It's my first bike in 18 years! 18 years ago, I sold my last bike to the wreckers and took the bus home. Sad day. So last week I made sure to catch the bus to pick up the new bike. And when I got on the bus in my bike jacket, the bus driver noticed and asked my if that's what I was doing. Turns out he was a bike nut and we talked bikes for the 1/2 hour bus ride.

My last bike was a YZF750SP with an FZR1000 engine squeezed in. Did a few races on it at Lakeside Raceway. These days I'm a little more sensible...

I settled on the black CBR in the end, with the help of my 9yo: "Because black is more menacing dad" LOL. Yes mate, yes it is.

Not sure if I'll mod the bike at the stage, although I would like some kind of GPS. You take GPS in cars for granted. I've got a Garmin Edge 810 cycling computer which is nice and small. Trying to work out how to mount that next to the dash somehow.

Things I've noticed so far:
- The speedo is under reading about 10%. Checked against GPS.
- 6600rpm at 100km/h (62mph)!!! From a single!!
- It's got a clock and a fuel gauge. Unheard of in 90's sports bikes.
- Seat slopes forward and I end up against the tank if my pants are slippery.
- Pegs are too far back. I'm 178cm (5' 10"). Rear brake lever is too high.

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
Welcome to the forum TSH, great user name. :D

The CBR300's are even more of a bargain over there than here in NZ, great price.
Yes the singles are a lot higher revving than they used to be, a heap of us have fitted a 15 tooth front sprocket to lower the revs a bit when cruising in top gear. You can drop a couple of teeth off the rear sprocket as well if you want.
Your bang on with your observation of 10% speedo error. This seems peculiar to the km/hr models only tho.
Interesting that you found the pegs a bit rear set after the YZF you had last. I have just ordered rear sets for mine.

Anyways, enjoy your return to motorcycling. :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Welcome TSH. hope you enjoy what goes on around here. My speedo is in MPH and I'm about 1 for 1 in top gear so 6000 rpm equals 60/62 mph.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Hi Spam.

You'll find the 300 is pretty popular with older riders. Like you, I've had bikes for many years. At 59yo though, and with slowly worsening arthritis, I was finding large bikes hard to push around and so decided to go for something light. I couldn't walk past the CBR3R at $4990 OTR.

My impressions so far are that it's an extremely good bike for the money. Obviously, given the price, it is essentially a low-spec road bike, but Honda have managed to give it a real touch of style and of course Honda's usual build quality is (mostly) still there.

I originally planned a few mods, starting with an exhaust, but after listening to a few with louder cans, changed my mind. A small 4T single isn't going to sound cool no matter what you do! I also thought about a fender eliminator, but slowly the OEM has grown on me. Now, I rather like the idea that I have a brand new bike that cost me bugger all, so probably I'll leave it alone.

Oh, I did make one small mod - I fitted rear swingarm spools and bought a paddock stand, to make adjusting and oiling the chain easier.

I don't ride very far at all - mostly just 50 - 100kms each trip - but at least I still have a bike in the garage :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi JNO and all. Yep have a paddock stand in order. About $30 from Torpedo7 (bike stuff is so cheap these days!)

Agree with all you said about quality and value.

Unfortunately fender eliminators /tail tidies are illegal in Australia (happy to be proven wrong though!) Stupid Australian design rules.

And yeah a 286cc 4Stroke is what it is. At one time I had plans for an RGV250 chassis with a Husqvarna 410 single fitted in. Now that would've sounded fine.

As for the speedo, I believe it's because of more stupid Australian design rules. Every late model car I've driven has been the same.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Welcome TSH!

Dang* that was a good deal. I got mine about 5 weeks ago and thought I'd haggled well. Was it on a special or did you just beat them down?

*very sensitive obscenity filter. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome TSH!

Dang* that was a good deal. I got mine about 5 weeks ago and thought I'd haggled well. Was it on a special or did you just beat them down?

*very sensitive obscenity filter. :)
Thanks rexxy. Yeah there is a sale on. But I just went in looking purely on price. Asking about how much service and insurance cost, etc. as I want to use it mostly for commuting. And they were really keen to get these things out the door. Not sure when 2016 models drop. But they had a heap of these 2015s in stock. I basically could have had any colour combo, with or without ABS I wanted (including the limited edition black/yellow). That was in the 300 and from what I could tell the 500 too.

Hard to go past. I originally wanted a naked bike, but even for the CB400 they wanted $11k! I could get a very decent Ducati monster for that.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
worth every penny..

get a decent aftermarket horn..
fiamm 'freeway blaster' horns sound more like
a buick or small truck than fridge door alarm..
probably their high and low tone combo
[with relay] best, but the low tone alone
[plug and play] works ok for about $20
from amazon..

like kiwi i also installed a yoshi rear set bracket
[up and back two options] which for me made it
easier to move back against the seat stop etc..
try moving around on her deliberately
including use of arms/upper torso etc..

black is obviously motorcycle colour..
[with matching leo vince evoII carbon slip on ]

watch out for the nutcases mate...
theres another generation of them out there now,
playing with their mobile phones, checking facebook,
emails, playing computer games[!] and otherwise
distracted driving..

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
....Hard to go past. I originally wanted a naked bike, but even for the CB400 they wanted $11k! I could get a very decent Ducati monster for that.
And for just another $11K, you could keep it running for a year! :devil:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
get a decent aftermarket horn..
Haha forget to mention about the horn. The horn button is GIGANTIC. I keep hitting it when I go for the indicator. The guy from the dealer did the same thing when we went for a test ride. And I was watching a YouTube review of the bike and the guy said the same thing.

If I got a massive air horn the results could be hilarious. Especially in car parks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi JNO and all. Yep have a paddock stand in order. About $30 from Torpedo7 (bike stuff is so cheap these days!)

Agree with all you said about quality and value.

Unfortunately fender eliminators /tail tidies are illegal in Australia (happy to be proven wrong though!) Stupid Australian design rules.

And yeah a 286cc 4Stroke is what it is. At one time I had plans for an RGV250 chassis with a Husqvarna 410 single fitted in. Now that would've sounded fine.

As for the speedo, I believe it's because of more stupid Australian design rules. Every late model car I've driven has been the same.

Tail Tidies are legal in Queensland. There is even mention that it is ok to have the integrated tail lights as it mentions this in the modification rules.

Just look up QLD Road law specifically as they are illegal in other states

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
And for just another $11K, you could keep it running for a year! :devil:
Now are you suggesting Ducati's are not reliable?? :eek::(

I know I'm coming across as defensive here as a owner of two Dukes previously.... but I will carry on regardless :D
Neither of my Ducati's left me stranded on the side of the road.
I did do some engine work on my 900 but heck, it was born in 1977 and had well over 100,000kms on it!
My 750 I bought near new and sold with 40K trouble free miles on it's clock.
I was also in the Ducati owners club for about five years. Only once can I remember a bike being trailered home on a wkd run.
Facts, not fiction :)
End of rant.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Now are you suggesting Ducati's are not reliable?? :eek::(

I know I'm coming across as defensive here as a owner of two Dukes previously.... but I will carry on regardless :D
Neither of my Ducati's left me stranded on the side of the road.
I did do some engine work on my 900 but heck, it was born in 1977 and had well over 100,000kms on it!
My 750 I bought near new and sold with 40K trouble free miles on it's clock.
I was also in the Ducati owners club for about five years. Only once can I remember a bike being trailered home on a wkd run.
Facts, not fiction :)
End of rant.
He He He :devil:

In fact, I have only known a couple of Ducati owners but both had terrible trouble with their bikes. One was a 888 and the other a 916. The 916 in particular was a bugger, to the point where he almost always showed up for rides on his old Honda CX500 rat bike, because the Duke was busted again. It was never the same problem twice, so he never got it sorted out in the two years I knew him. I heard that he sold it and bought an MV Agusta though, so it obviously didn't put him off expensive Italians.

Reactions: kiwi rider
1 - 14 of 14 Posts