Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day all, I just purchased a CBR300R non ABS in February this year. They were selling them for $5600 AUS ride away with six months rego so I thought what the heck it will save me on fuel to and from work. Apart from some minor dramas with the workshop from which my bike was purchased the bike has run well. Thought I would join this forum to tap the brains of those more knowledgeable than I with these bike.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So good things I've found with my bike:

-getting about 310km from 9.5 litres of fuel
-comfortable for the 25km drive to work each day
-handling was very easy to get a feel for

Cons
-It has that vibration noise above 6000rpm
-On delivery from the workshop the rear right large wheel securing nut wasn't tight.
-After first service at same workshop the locknut for the rear left chain tensioner was missing. (pointed it out to the workshop the following day and they replaced both sides with nyloc ones).
- I seem to get a lot of false neutrals coming down gears, I put this down to possibly not taking my foot all the way off gear leaver between shifts. I do seem to have to twist my foot back quite far to get it all the way off, not sure if there is an adjustment.
-Fuel cap seems to be in a really shite spot that stops you from filling the last litre and a half.

May seem like a lot of complaints but I really am happy with the bike, I'm always the harshest critic of my own gear.

·
Registered
188 Posts
You should be riding with the ball of your foot (just behind the toes) on the foot peg,only moving the foot forward to change gear.

The gear lever can easily be adjusted up or down on the linkage if you prefer.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi mate i have a bike the same as yours and i did not have most of those problems but with the vibration that is common on single cylinder engines. And with the lock nut missing on the chain tenioner they may have forgot to tighten that one up. Because when the bikes are shipped around they do that with the chains lose from factory

·
Registered
295 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
What bikes have you owned in the past?

Have you already decided on what modifications/accessories you want to go for?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi My name is Mark. The modification i was thinking about were putting a 150/60/17 on the rear. A fender eliminator. Getting rid of the rear handles. And setting up the muffler the same as the 300/1000 look alike bike. The only bike i have had are, the cbr 150r and 250r

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
The modification i was thinking about were putting a 150/60/17 on the rear.
Heck, we may have to add the 150 width rear tyre to the 'Wish list for next model' thread, sure does seem to be a popular option. :devil:

·
Registered
178 Posts
yes i was going to do it last time but i think you cant get that size in the sports demons im not 100% but i was told that, would that be right? I could only get it in the pirelli rosso. If that is the case, im going to try the rosso on the back. And see how it feels. I'm expecting to feel no difference as i dont really go over 140km and im easy on the corners

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Yeah your right, the 150 Sports Demon only comes in the 70 profile, need to get the Rosso if you want the lower 60 profile. I'm no tyre guru but I'd imagine its prob better to have your rear the same profile as the front for good handling?
140kph eh, are you in Aussie?

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Ive never tried as I find the 140 width just fine and dandy but heaps of guys have fitted them to the 250R's which have the same rear end.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes i know a lot people same stick to standard. But i do like the fat look. When i looked at that 300 that looks like the 1000. I am going to go for that look. I am going to do this by moving the muffler closer to the engine the same as what he has done. And by getting rid of the rear hand bars and fender it would look very much similar. I dont really see the point of changing the swing arm.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I plan to put a slipon exhaust on, just for a little noise as the bike is far to quiet, when the air filter needs a new one ill throw a knn in. ive been looking at retuning the bike for a nerd fix but need to research a good ecu/kit

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
S was approached at work by a mate who informed me that I had a large screw poking out of my rear tyre. Managed to get it to a tyre joint without it going flat and used my tyre insurance to replace the rear with a same size Pirelli sport demon tyre. Unfortunitly we got over a hundred millimetres of rain that night and the ride home was one of the scariest ever. I was ready for the braking and took it very easy however I wasn't ready for the bike to lose traction every time I down shifted coming up to a set of lights. Only just managed to stay on the bike and keep it upright. Bike is now staying firmly in the garage until the weather clears up and I can get that top layer off the tyre.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Weather has cleared up after getting almost 200mm of rain in one day. Took the bike to work yesterday and today and the Pirelli sport demon rear tyre feels awesome compared to the stock irc. The shape of the tyre feels more stable, it is far more stable leaning over. and when it starts to give the tyre feels like it is gently slowly sliding. The irc's to me felt like a very chattery bounce from the back when it was about to let go.

from my limited experience the Pirelli's sport demons are the way to go is if only replacing the rear tyre and you are putting cross ply tyres front and rear. (irc's are cross ply) which I still have on the front.

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just purchased a oil change kit for my cbr300r for a total cost of $45 (including oil). They didn't actually have a kit per say but they put one together and charged me what it would have cost. Interestingly they struggled to find the gasket and the gentlemen behind the counter said it wasn't the end of the world and that they didn't always need replacing. He was a bit miffed that I wouldn't leave without one. My reply was that how do I know they didn't just reuse the gasket on the last service they did. The last thing I want is a leaky oil filter gasket on what is currently my only mode of transport. (my wife had the timing belt snap in the car on her). I checked my receipt for my last service and I hope they didn't reuse mine as they charged me for it.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Mate, don't lose sleep over the gasket. I haven't replaced one yet with not a hint of a weep let alone a leak. I'm not saying this is best practice, just that you don't have to change it every oil change.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So, most recent updates on the bike.

I need to replace the chain because I have hit max adjustment. Because of this I have ordered a new chain, stock 36t rear sprocket and a 15t front sprocket. All up this cost me $189.

I picked up a yoshimura r77 slipon for a 250r for $50 and modified the exhaust header at work to make it fit. If anyone has a noise insert for one of these up for grabs I would be very keen as mine did not come with one and its pretty loud.

Next pay is a power commander V.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
So, most recent updates on the bike.

I need to replace the chain because I have hit max adjustment. Because of this I have ordered a new chain, stock 36t rear sprocket and a 15t front sprocket. All up this cost me $189.

I picked up a yoshimura r77 slipon for a 250r for $50 and modified the exhaust header at work to make it fit. If anyone has a noise insert for one of these up for grabs I would be very keen as mine did not come with one and its pretty loud.

Next pay is a power commander V.
Wow, your really chucking some coin at the bike huh. Hey how many K's have you done on the OEM chain and sprockets because it seems a bit soon to be replacing all that stuff. Ive got nearly 20K on mine and it's still sweet.
Going to a 15T will give you some more chain adjustment.

Will be interesting to hear your thoughts on the power commander once you get it fitted.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts