Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I've been lurking these forums for several months now trying to decide if I wanted a 300R, Ninja 300, or R3. The Ninja just looked too much like a bug (especially in the green), and the R3 was a little more than I wanted to spend on a starter motorcycle (and I've heard of issues with compression locking when downshifting - not sure if they're true). I almost gave into peer pressure and bought a used 600cc (and there was a moment or 2 when my brother almost convinced me to get a 1100cc cruiser), but after trying out the 300R, I couldn't help but feel that it was perfect for me. Light, nimble, simple, frugal, and dependable.

After about a year of saving, I ventured to a dealership last Wednesday where I was offered a great deal and I found myself making a deposit on a new 2015 shiny red, CRB300R that had 1 mile on the Odo. I paid off the rest on Friday and had it delivered on Saturday.

Unfortunately, the weather's been less than rider friendly, but I did put in a really quick - albeit really slow - ride around my backyard. After hearing too many stories about dropping the bike the first day of ownership, I decided not to chance it and put it away until the temps climb to above freezing.

I've learned a lot about this little motorbike from here, so I thought I would officially sign up!

Nice to meet all of you!

- Reggie

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Hello, and welcome! Do you have a pic of your bike? (Well, I know a read CBR300R looks the same as
another red CBR300R, but hey - any chance to oooh-aaah a new bike is welcome :) )

Good for you resisting the bigger bike hype. Intelligence in action :)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Welcome. When are reasonable weather and temps likely to arrive in your area?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Hey Reggie, glad the forum helped when you were at the choosing stage.

Just curious, how did the R3 and Ninja forums compare against this one when you were sourcing info?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Welcome, Reggie.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Reggie. Another snow fall last night (12 inches) so this morning I cleared it away. As you can see it is Winter here and no chance for a ride till Spring...:(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Much obliged by the warm welcome.

I'll try to upload a good pic when I'm able to.

The other boards were just as helpful in tips and general info, and I was really sold on the Ninja 300 at first, but when you see all of the bikes and sit on them, that's when their personalities really show. The 300r had the "just right" feeling the others didn't. Of all the boards I researched, this one seemed to have the most realistic view of their bikes. That is, the CBR300R is a sporty, light bike that's a joy to ride, and doesn't pretend to be anything else. The Yamaha and Ninja boards seem to draw more of a racer crowd. The resounding opinion seems to be "why buy the Honda, when everything else is so much faster". As an ex-Miata owner, I know how rewarding it is to drive a slow bike (in this case) fast. My main concern when looking at what I wanted was if the little Honda would be safe enough to ride at speeds between 65 and 80. From what I've read here, that's really a non-issue. The bike I really wanted to buy when I first decided I wanted a motorcycle was a Honda AC50, but they're not street legal here in the States, and they top out around 60 ( with a big bore kit and sprocket swap.) About the only other bike that became a serious contender was the Grom. God those things are fun... Until you need to get on an interstate.

I got to ride her a little before work today because it was nice and sunny and above freezing. Since I'm still a newb, I took it slow and just took a quick spin around the block. I can't believe how much more stable and better feeling the little CBR is to the TU250x I used during the MSF course! Even slow maneuvers seem easier!

We're having a really mild winter -for now- so I might be able to do a little more riding this week. So far so good! =)

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Welcome Reggie! I agree this forum is a WEALTH of knowledge and if you can't find info from a previous post, you will certainly get help posting a new one! I also did major research before purchasing my red 300r too. I can say without a single doubt in my mind I absolutely chose correctly and I'm sure you will soon agree. Hope it warms up for you so you can get some mileage under ya!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
.......As an ex-Miata owner, I know how rewarding it is to drive a slow bike (in this case) fast.......
As an ex-Miata (MX-5 here) owner myself (NB & NC) I reckon that's a good analogy. There is something rewarding about low-powered, but sporty vehicles. I would add light weight, too. I have had much more powerful bikes in the past and, whenever I went fast, I always felt the bike was in control, not me.

I never felt I was actually going fast enough, because big bikes always seem to have even more in reserve than I am willing to exploit, on the road at least.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
The other boards were just as helpful in tips and general info, and I was really sold on the Ninja 300 at first, but when you see all of the bikes and sit on them, that's when their personalities really show. The 300r had the "just right" feeling the others didn't. Of all the boards I researched, this one seemed to have the most realistic view of their bikes.
That's good to hear, we're a pretty pragmatic bunch here and don't mind backing an underdog that has it's own (less flashy) virtues.

That's a common theme about the CBR's ergonomics feeling just right, hear that a lot.

Great that you have been able to get some riding in considering you live in Montana. I'm guessing that's what MO stands for?

·
Registered
156 Posts
As an ex-Miata owner, I know how rewarding it is to drive a slow bike (in this case) fast.
I like this guy already! I also previously owned an NA and currently own an NC Miata (actually looking into a new ND) and you're spot on in that comparison as JNO said. The 300 feels like it has that same personality as those little cars. So many people rip on both the 300 and the Miata, but those are people who've never actually experienced one. Enjoy it and ride safe!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I drove an NA Miata, even in the crappy Chicago winters (where I used to live before moving to a town near Kansas City). I'd love to own another one, but wanted to get a bike as it was on my bucket list of things to do before I'm debilitatingly old. Almost any car would beat you in a straight line, but as soon as some curves appear, you'd catch up then leave them quickly. =)

If I got the Grom I wanted to do this to it:

MRX MiniRacerXtreme - Tyga Performance

But with all the mods I had planned, it came to more than twice that of the CBR300, so practicality won out in the end.

I put another 2-3 miles on her today and got her to 28 MPH!! LOL! It'll probably be the last day of riding weather as we're expecting rain to turn to snow starting tonight and through the weekend. I did have an "oopsie" moment where I stalled the bike coming out of a slow turn and laid it down as I was caught by surprise. I didn't clutch in fast enough and lost balance as the dead engine compression slowed the bike. I was barely moving a mile or two an hour, so I had a chance to brake and cushion the bike gently down. I hit the kill switch, then I got the bike up myself, dusted it off, inspected the damage (there was only a slight scuffing of the right mirror and rear brake lever), then started her back up and did a few more laps around the block to calm myself down. It's going to happen, even to the best of us, right? I'm falling more and more in love, the more I ride her, and while I had initially planned to trade her up in about a year, I think I might want to keep her... and just get another bike ;-)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Montana is actually MT. MO is for Missouri. I live in Grandview, just a few miles outside of Kansas City. Moved out here from Chicago, where the people are nicer, life moves a little slower, and the roads... OMG the roads... There's curves, and hills, and valleys... everything you need to enjoy even just a quick ride. I don't plan to race around like a Moto GP rider - that'll that earn me a Darwin award - but there's enough mix of back roads and highway so that zipping along on a little bike is the best cure for whatever ails you. Look at it this way... I drive a boring CRV (thankfully a stick shift) and even it's fun to drive around here!

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Montana is actually MT. MO is for Missouri. I live in Grandview, just a few miles outside of Kansas City. Moved out here from Chicago, where the people are nicer, life moves a little slower, and the roads... OMG the roads... There's curves, and hills, and valleys... everything you need to enjoy even just a quick ride. I don't plan to race around like a Moto GP rider - that'll that earn me a Darwin award - but there's enough mix of back roads and highway so that zipping along on a little bike is the best cure for whatever ails you. Look at it this way... I drive a boring CRV (thankfully a stick shift) and even it's fun to drive around here!
I was born and mostly raised in Montana! Later moved to Long Island. Absolute horrible place to ride a bike. Loving Florida riding tho

1 - 17 of 17 Posts