Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's got the most miles/km on the 300? Have you had any issues that you ran into along the way?
I'm trying to gauge the life of these engines.

I used to work with American Honda, motorcycle division, and I spoke to a guy with a CRF250L that had more then 30k on his bike! The 250L and the CBR250R have the same engine so we should be able to expect the same.

So what have you gotten out of the 300 so far?

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Anyone have more than @kiwi rider ? :laugh:
After an initial burst over the summer where I was averaging 1000 miles a month my bike has been pretty much parked up for three months over winter but I'm sitting on just over 7K miles.

If you want an idea of how long lasting these motors are then you are better off looking at examples of the CBR250 as the 300 is just a stroked version of that motor with a different fuel map.

I know of riders on cbr250.net that have around 50K miles on their bikes with no dramas.

Who has the Highest Mileage - Page 14 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums

·
Registered
130 Posts
My wife bought her bike in April. So far she has nearly 5000km on it, or 3100 miles.

My father puts about 12,000km on his Shadow a year, and his old CM400T has around 60,000. Without a valve adjustment I might add.

It's hard to do up here in the Great White North. The season runs May-Sept for the most part.

·
Super Moderator
3,003 Posts
As kiwi said, there are some 250R's out there that have racked up impressive odometer numbers. But like any motor vehicle, proper regular service & preventative maintenance is key.

There was a recent thread on the 250R website, about a bike in India which is now on it's 3rd engine... long story short, after about 5 pages of posts, the OP (who ironically started the thread off by bashing Honda Motor Co. for poor quality) finally disclosed that the Indian ASC where the bike had been taken for service was not actually changing the oil & filter regularly, but rather on many occasions just topping up the oil level. And if/when they did actually change the oil, it was done without installing a new oil filter. And the irony of the story is that I still don't think the OP has really grasped why the first two engines failed.

I know I must sound like a broken record, but IMO changing the oil on these small engines without installing a new $4 filter is just plain dumb. And yet so many who will cut corners on maintenance to save a couple bucks, seem to have no problem spending huge amounts of money on silly cosmetic/appearance items to try and make their bike something it's not.

·
Registered
225 Posts
As kiwi said, there are some 250R's out there that have racked up impressive odometer numbers. But like any motor vehicle, proper regular service & preventative maintenance is key.

There was a recent thread on the 250R website, about a bike in India which is now on it's 3rd engine... long story short, after about 5 pages of posts, the OP (who ironically started the thread off by bashing Honda Motor Co. for poor quality) finally disclosed that the Indian ASC where the bike had been taken for service was not actually changing the oil & filter regularly, but rather on many occasions just topping up the oil level. And if/when they did actually change the oil, it was done without installing a new oil filter. And the irony of the story is that I still don't think the OP has really grasped why the first two engines failed.

I know I must sound like a broken record, but IMO changing the oil on these small engines without installing a new $4 filter is just plain dumb. And yet so many who will cut corners on maintenance to save a couple bucks, seem to have no problem spending huge amounts of money on silly cosmetic/appearance items to try and make their bike something it's not.
Spot on!

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
And yet so many who will cut corners on maintenance to save a couple bucks, seem to have no problem spending huge amounts of money on silly cosmetic/appearance items to try and make their bike something it's not.
Hmmm... oil filter or shiny fake-look aluminium swing arm cover..

Must be a h.e.l.l of a dilemma for them! :laugh:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is our 3rd bike in our garage. My girlfriend, Julie, will be stepping up to the CBR600RR when she is ready. At that point the 300R will be our spare bike. And my commute is only about 8 miles, in town, so the 300 will get plenty of use. I tend to rack up miles at a ridiculous rate, case in point, I had 17,000 miles on my first 600 after the first summer in Michigan. And that's not too long of a season out there.

Being in California where I dont even own a car and we get to ride 365 a year, I expect some silly mileage to be stacking up.

·
Registered
487 Posts
... And yet so many who will cut corners on maintenance to save a couple bucks, seem to have no problem spending huge amounts of money on silly cosmetic/appearance items to try and make their bike something it's not.
Hmmm... oil filter or shiny fake-look aluminium swing arm cover..

Must be a h.e.l.l of a dilemma for them! :laugh:
Yeah I don't get that either except that those types of folks are posers/wannabes.....

·
Registered
1,389 Posts

Hey, that $4 in India is a $hit ton of moolah, lol!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Very true Fanatic, when i was touring there we had some amazing meals served up on a banana leaf for $1USD!
Who says vegetarian cant be tasty?! :D

Wow! Only $1 for all that food? Thats a bargain. What city was this in?

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Wow! Only $1 for all that food? Thats a bargain. What city was this in?
I dont remember it was 6 years ago but I remember it wasn't in a city, just a small town on a lunch stop passing through.
Indian is one of my favorite cuisines and I cook it at home regularly still.

Getting back on topic ... I think I had around 30,000km on my CBR when I sold it, never did have any bother with it.

Must be some real high mileage CB/CBR's out there now, would be interesting to hear from any members with examples of this.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My 250R had 32,000 miles on it when it got written off. My 300R has 19,000 miles on it so far. It would be nice to hear from someone who has done some serious miles on a 300R.

·
Registered
335 Posts
We should make a low-mileage thread to complement this one. I have a little less than 5,000 miles (about 7,700 km) on my 2016 because I only ride for 6 months per year and 99% of the time it's just to take the 10 mile trips to work.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
My 250R had 32,000 miles on it when it got written off. My 300R has 19,000 miles on it so far. It would be nice to hear from someone who has done some serious miles on a 300R.
32K on the 250R is a solid effort, pity it got totaled.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i'm afraid i'm gonna be on the low mileage end of this one. i've got a '16 300f i got new in late 2017 and have only managed 1600 miles so far(have several other bikes that all got about 1600 miles in the same time period). ya' get up in the morning to go for a ride and it's choices choices!! ya' gotta treat all ure babies the same.

·
Registered
399 Posts
3700 mi on mine. It had 1900 when In bought it used and I am the 3rd owner of the bike.

So I am on pace to ride 6000 miles per year at this rate. Its a commuter bike and for running errands. Mostly short 15 minute trips.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts