Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

Honda CB300F, CBR300R, CB300R Under the Seat Tool Kit

4K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  airhead83 
#1 · (Edited)
Honda CB300s sold in the U.S. have not come with OEM tool kits for a number of years (in contrast to those sold outside the US, which do). My 2017 CB300F only included a vinyl tool pouch with a 5mm hex key, a plastic fuse puller, and a helmet lock cable. So, if U.S. owners want a roadside tool kit that fits under the seat, they must build their own. Although eBay offers some generic options with incomplete and questionable components for a little under $20, one can also build a more complete kit with slightly less questionable Honda OEM parts for less than $35. For those interested in building one out, here are all the part numbers in one list. They can be ordered through a dealer or any Honda parts supplier. The latter includes Revzilla which may be the least expensive route if you get the order total above $39.95 so shipping is free. This is honestly an OCD exercise. For general maintenance (and anything else) you’ll want a set of “real” tools in anything but an emergency. Still, it's nice to have something there.

Honda tools that come with the U,S. CB300s:
  • Tool Bag (160mm) 89219-KGH-900
  • Fuse Puller 38235-TA0-A01 (Spare fuses are in the fuse box)
  • Wire Helmet Holder 77236-KAZ-780
  • Hex Wrench (5mm) 89221-429-000

Honda tools to add:
  • [Screwdriver] Grip 89103-538-000
  • Screwdriver (NO.2 +/-) 89102-KTC-900
  • Eye Wrench (19mm) 99006-19000 (Alt. part #: 89219-KWW-601)
  • Eye Wrench (24mm) 99006-24000
  • Eye Wrench Handle 89217-KGH-900
  • Spanner / wrench (10 x 14mm) 99001-10140 (Alt part #s.: 89211-KWW-640)
  • Spanner / wrench (8 x 12mm) 99001-08120 (Alt. part #s: 89211-MGZ-J00 & 89224-431-670)
  • Pliers (135mm / 5.3” RIKEN) 89210-GBJ-J00 (not included in Honda’s list, but a small pair of pliers should have been.)

The non-US Honda toolkit also includes:
  • A Pin Spanner 89202-KY1-700 (for the rear shock pre-set).
    The Honda spanner is small and awkward to use. I bought a Motion Pro 08-0029 Shock Collar Spanner Wrench 68/87mm which I keep it in my garage toolchest.
  • A [Spark] Plug Wrench (16.5) 89216-MAT-000 (The CB300s [NGK] SIMR8A9 spark plug requires a 16mm (5/8”) plug wrench.)
    Accessing the sparkplug on the CB300 requires a fair amount of disassembly. I already had a GearWrench 80546 5/8” (16mm) swivel sparkplug socket in my garage toolchest.

I also carry:
  • A 6mm hex key
  • 4-6 x 8-inch cable ties
  • A small roll of electric tape
  • An inexpensive small lock-blade knife like you’d find in a bin at a hardware store counter
  • A kickstand plate (for parking on soft ground)
  • A disk brake lock (7mm pin) with reminder cable
  • A pencil-style tire gauge (5 - 50 psi)
  • and A Bic stick pen, piece of paper, registration, insurance card, and a $10 bill for emergency gas money

I’ve installed a Battery Tender quick-disconnect harness under the seat (which comes with the Battery Tender Junior or 800 smart battery charger / maintainer).

The plastic cut-out under the seat for the tool bag is 7 1/8"L * 3 5/8"W * 1 3/4"H (with some wiggle room on height). There’s also some space next to and behind it.

Hand tool Tool Font Material property Metalworking hand tool

Hope this info helps someone. Stay safe.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for the comprehensive info. When i go away on a long trip I tend to pack a kit comprising of my quality tools from the workshop. A lot of factory bolts and nuts that havent been undone before are crazy tight and its easy to round heads off using cheap open ended spanners.

#3 ·
True, but the main thing I'd carry on a trip would be a tire repair kit and a micro-inflator like the Stop & Go RCP Mini-Air Compressor (4" x 6" x 2"). I think one could find room for a Dynaplug Ultralite Tubeless Tire Repair Tool Kit under the seat but I don't think I could jigsaw in an inflator too without going the backpack route.

#5 ·
I saw this shortage after purchasing my bike last fall. I went and bought a bicycle tool bag from the local athletic store and started filling it up with the tools I thought would be most helpful in the event of a breakdown like combination wrenches, stubby screwdrivers, pliers and a 1/4" drive socket wrench with a couple of sockets. I haven't bought a tire plug kit and inflator but that's an eventual purchase sometime in the future. I'm surprised this failure to purchase hasn't jinxed me with a flat-knock on wood.:D

#6 ·
I saw this shortage after purchasing my bike last fall. I went and bought a bicycle tool bag from the local athletic store and started filling it up with the tools I thought would be most helpful in the event of a breakdown like combination wrenches, stubby screwdrivers, pliers and a 1/4" drive socket wrench with a couple of sockets. I haven't bought a tire plug kit and inflator but that's an eventual purchase sometime in the future. I'm surprised this failure to purchase hasn't jinxed me with a flat-knock on wood.:D
I got one like this that uses the high pressure cannisters to re-inflate, doesn't take up much room under the seat or weigh much.

#9 ·
I've never seen those before. Definitely interesting / cool product but it looks like one is just replacing a nail with a plastic screw? I searched YouTube for a review but got nothing. Not sure I'd feel too safe driving too long on one afterwards, but if it gets you home or to a shop to replace the tire, I guess it's done it's job.

Here's an Amazon link so people can see what it is:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.