Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Honda CBR300R vs Yamaha R25

28K views 41 replies 13 participants last post by  MotoMike 
#1 ·
Look who came to play today, Yamahas newest 1/4 liter the R25. Lets see how it stacks vs the CBR300R

R25

249cc
35 bhp
20.6 ft-lbs
??? top speed

CBR300R

286cc
30.4 hp
19.9 ft-lbs
145 kph top speed (CBR250R)

The CBR250R is the undisputed king of the quarter liters and I expect the CBR300R to carry that forward. R25 looks like a much more aggressive bike, with a greater track focus it seems. Price is still unknown.

See less See more
#17 ·
This old post gave me a laugh and just goes to show how little notice one should take of the pre launch info and the way the concept model bike looks.
If the production version of the R25 had really ended up looking this good AND had the 'expected' 35+ HP then I wouldn't have bought a CBR300! :laugh:

#19 ·
Yup, another thread from the very early days of these forums... many of those posts were from guys who've never even owned a motorcycle. Some have never even ridden a bike. If you dig back into threads from 2013, you'll see some seriously lame and nonsensical BS posts. The idiots just seem to come out of the wood work any time a new motorcycle website is started on the net.

#21 ·
Another comparison of stuff that has no interest - not for me, as I am more than happy with my CBR300R. If I wanted another type of bike I would of brought it.

Reactions: MotoMike
#22 ·
I think the graph is correct. Pretty well every thing I read about the "new" R25 quoted 29 HP which I think pretty good for a "250". I still say that our 300's have potential for more than the 30.5 HP listed. But then our 300 was designed for Torque delivery.

#27 · (Edited)
That this thread was even started makes no sense... comparing the CBR300R, a bike clearly being marketed throughout most of the world, and the Yamaha R25 which was only available in a handful of Asian countries. Of course the Yamaha R3 hadn't been officially announced back when this particular thread was started, but anyone following the small displacement sport bike market had to know full well that the R3 was coming (just as the KTM RC390 was on its way). A handful of the early members here were actually "Content Writers" (including the OP of this thread), who's jobs were to stimulate traffic on the site by dreaming up threads and posts... unfortunately these writers had little or no first hand knowledge about the subject matter, and so they would often regurgitate info they found on the web or parrot what other members had already said. To put it another way, much of the content in the first year of these forums was pretty pathetic.

#29 · (Edited)
But now the R3 vs CBR300R debate is a genuine one.

Throw in the Ninja and you've got 3 great bikes in the same class - i don't put the KTM in the same category.
Yes but this particular thread isn't about the R3 and how it compares to the CBR300R (there are however at least a couple other CBR300R vs. R3 threads here in this forum)... my point was that this thread is attempting to compare two bikes which are not sold in the same markets. Most of us live in countries where the R25 is not sold. And for those who do have the the ability to buy a Yamaha R25, they can't get the CBR300R or the R3.

As for the KTM RC390, it actually does compete in this small sport bike market segment based on its low price point... that the RC390 happens to be a higher displacement & horse power bike than either the CBR300R or the Ninja 300 doesn't exclude from this segment.

Reactions: Treve82
#30 ·
Opps... I shouldnt have re-posted this redundant thread.

I do agree with what your saying about those 2013 threads Mike, mostly laugh worthy at best. Interestingly i dont see any of those names still contributing.

#31 ·
Moto mike must complain again, and like his own posts from his alias account.

Anyway, the R25 was available well before the R3 became available in USA.
And they are comparable like apples and oranges, not like apples and steak.
So there's a whole good deal to compare both to.
I believe the CBR300R has softer suspension, less aggressive seating, but also revs lower and has lower power.
The R25 might out-accelerate a CBR300R, when ran in the power band.
They should be quite equal.

The R3 vs the CBR300R is what I would call no comparison.
Performance wise, the R3 outdoes the CBR.
In fact, most 300cc bikes will outdo the 300's of honda, until Honda comes up with a higher CC bike.
Currently the Duke 390 / RC 390, Ninja 300, and R3 outdo the CBR300.
Pretty soon BMW's G310R, Hyosung GT300, and Kawasaki Z300 will outdo the CBR as well, leaving Honda behind in the dust.

Not to say the Honda is a crappy bike, but they should jump over to 350cc and quickly, or be left behind!
(350cc for Honda means 321cc or something...).

Still dreaming of a CB350F. Would be my personal perfect commuter!

#32 · (Edited)
Moto mike must complain again, and like his own posts from his alias account...
Believe whatever floats your boat MeeLee... I can assure you that I have only one account on this site. In fact you can see this for yourself. Just click on the "Current Active Users" at the bottom of the Forum Index page, and you'll see everyone's IP addresses. And you'll see that no other member here has the same IP address as mine.

So enlighten me, which user name(s) do you think I have as 'alias accounts'?

Anyway, the R25 was available well before the R3 became available in USA...
The R25 was never available in the USA. The R25 was only released in Asian markets (like India, for example).

Still dreaming...
I'll agree with you on that... it's what you do best.

#38 ·
Top speed is a huge issue on smaller cc bikes, because it determines if a bike has the power to reach the speed limit or not. A CBR250R only does 87mph indicated.
Add a passenger, some luggage, and a 20mph headwind, and you'll be lucky to maintain 65mph, with a wide open throttle.
It also allows you to stay within a certain buffer or safety margin.
I'd feel a lot more comfortable knowing my bike can do 95mph, than when it can only go 85mph, when only going 80mph.

Not everyone goes at top speed, but top speed is related to HP, and high hp combined with low weight is related to fast acceleration.
So, top speed of a set of bikes similarly geared can tell a lot about acceleration characteristics.

Performance usually becomes less of an issue above 30bhp.

#39 ·
MeeLee: What has this got to do with the 300? and why do you continue to compare the 250cc?
This has become rather boring.

#40 · (Edited)
I do not think that MeeLee is comparing. I believe that he is using a CBR 250 R purely as an example of Horse Power VS Top Speed for small displacement bikes. (gearing is not a factor AFAIK in his statement)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.