Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edit: cut the story out to go straight to the question, how much damage does revving in neutral do? Is it a myth from a by-gone era that unloaded revving does more damage than loaded revving? Or is there some truth behind it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
With the thought of any possible damaging effect, I stay away from the idea... Just like that.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Theres nothing wrong with odd blip to see how loud that aftermarket exhaust is you just installed etc but holding the throttle wide open with it bouncing off the rev limiter for extended periods wouldn't do much for it.
It's like most things in life, it's all about moderation. :)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I think this comes from the fact that revs pick up faster when there is no load, making an over-rev more likely. Other than that, I can't see a big problem.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I have read thou on a few occasions that if this type of thing is done....you should not do it on a cold engine.

Reactions: shisoshin

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I have read thou on a few occasions that if this type of thing is done....you should not do it on a cold engine.
That is sensible advice irrespective of whether the engine is under load or not. A cold engine means the oil is not circulating as effectively as it does when at operating temperature, especially in the first minute or so. Also, clearances between moving parts are not optimised and so more wear is possible.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so let's say that I let my engine warm up for about 30 secs in about 44 degree weather and someone's kid decides he wanted to rev my bike to 9000 rpm. Any damage?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I doubt it very much. However I am not a Motorcycle mechanic. But if YOU think that the engine sounds or runs differently...take it to your dealer and have them check it out. Just do not tell them your "Rev-ed up Kid "story.

You can always tell them a little fib about how you missed a shift on a cold engine....just saying.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
so let's say that I let my engine warm up for about 30 secs in about 44 degree weather and someone's kid decides he wanted to rev my bike to 9000 rpm. Any damage?
I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just don't let someone's kid ever do it again... make it clear that if he does it again, the beatings will begin. ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
engine seems to run fine - I'm sure if I was riding anything other than a Honda I would be more worried. Just wanted to hear some confirmation that would ease my mind. Thanks

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
engine seems to run fine - I'm sure if I was riding anything other than a Honda I would be more worried. Just wanted to hear some confirmation that would ease my mind. Thanks
I think you should be okay. If it was on a repeated basis without any regard or care, then this could be something to worry more about. I have free-revved, but I personally keep it limited (can't say this was true a few years back when I was younger, lol). I personally think any negative effect would present itself if it were consistent neglect / abuse. In your case, it was just a rare accident, and you're already proactive in looking out for the health of your bike. No worries, I say.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I've seen riders rev in neutral just before they turn the bike off, presumably to put a little more charge in the battery. Now if you need warm oil before you rev, you will have a pretty long wait. I have on occasion run a bike for 5 minutes thinking the oil would be warm only to find the oil was still cold. It actually takes a long time...about 10 min of riding to get the oil up to temperature although I doubt many people wait that long to rev the bike. I typically warm up about 2 minutes, and don't rev until the bike has been ridden 2 more minutes or so and its radiator temp is at running or near running temp which again is about 2 minutes of riding plus the 2 minutes of warming up. Bikes and cars are all different, but normally that coincides when then the cold engine light on many cars also goes off. I would think it would be safer to rev the bike in N than it would be under load with a cold engine. When I break-in a new engine and take it to redline, I only do that after the bike is hot and has been run 20 min. or so. Accelerating hard up hill with a cold engine in Alaska with a passenger would probably be the worst-case scenario.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts