Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is starting to get down between 50-60 degrees F here as a high. Next week is supposed to be colder. The ride this morning was pretty uncomfortable because the low is significantly lower than that.

There are a lot of variables to consider here. I don't have cold weather riding gear.

I already know that you Canadians are ironmen/women when it comes to the cold. Also don't need to hear from Arizona, New Mexico, SoCal and Southern Texas about how you get to ride year round. ;)

·
Registered
172 Posts
i went riding yesterday when it was 28F/-2c, i ride with textile gloves, leather jacket, and an arai RX-Q helmet, if your upper body is getting cold, layer up, sweater, i sometimes put a large xxl sweater overtop of my leather body armour as my jacket is perforated, and then i put the hood around my neck, as for gloves, im going to invest in leather riding gloves aha :p

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
... Also don't need to hear from Arizona, New Mexico, SoCal and Southern Texas about how you get to ride year round. ;)
Haha... yeah, I don't do the whole "winter storage" thing on my bikes, just some Sta-Bil in the gas tank and the bikes are always ready to go if/when the weather is nice enough for a ride. But I'm at high altitude (7500 ft. ASL), so we get plenty of days where the temps are just to low for my blood to ride a motorcycle... 40 to 45 F daytime temps are about as cold as I care to ride a bike in. And my street motorcycling gear is all snug fitting leather, which doesn't leave any room for layering up.

However I do have a couple snowmobiles, so I do spend a lot of time outside in the mountains during the winter. But for that I've got specific riding gear made for snowmobiling which is cut to allow for layering. Snowmobile gear is not something I'd want to wear for motorcycle riding though, it's too bulky and not protective enough for street use.

Reactions: mikal

·
Registered
96 Posts
It's got to be at least 45 & as low wind as possible like 5-10 mph & sunny, black jacket helps

I don't winter the bikes either but I do add some star tron & seafoam, batt tenders, so they are always ready to go when the weather cooperates just air up the tires

try Freeze Out gear, carried at cycle gear, if nothing else try the glove liners, this stuff is outstanding for cold weather riding really does block the wind/cold from the skin, my winter coat will allow me to layer the top over the armor, the pants are a different story over the armor & under pants little too bulky, so I typically don't use the pants but I do have them

ride safe

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
main areas susceptible to cold are heat transfer points
with radiator functions such as neck, wrists, ankles,
which make a difference when covered well..

used to wear my navy duffle coat, a long heavy woolen
overcoat sometimes in cold weather on long runs
[eg, bike hosed down first to remove the ice]
also sometimes wore a newspaper inside
covering front chest and torso..
not a very technical solution
but whatever does the trick..

Army Wool Coat | eBay
Motorcycle & Sportbike Headwear | MotoSport

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
I really dislike having to wear winter gloves as you dont get the same feel at the controls. A good pair of waterproof winter gloves is essential here tho. I use a one piece PVC rain suit when it gets real cold. Even if its not raining.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Once ice appears that's me in the car, not worth my bike or life to save a few quid in fuel, the cold is not the problem, Ive ridden at below zero C in the past but its on those strange very dry days.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
As long as it's above freezing, I commute by bike. If it's below freezing, I'm willing to ride during daylight and when I confirm roads are dry.
Last winter I rode (my Vespa) when it was five degrees below freezing (C) and it was OK (a trip of 70 km RT).

·
Registered
282 Posts
"Not till they prise the bars from my cold dead fingers" Which may take some time as I have fitted the hot grips.:eek::eek::eek:

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Mine stays out all year long. The winter is actually the best time to ride mid, 70's and no sweating. Ahhh Florida weather!
Florida has just gone to the top of my retirement list! Many good biking roads there?
I'd still come back here for the summers tho. :)

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Florida has just gone to the top of my retirement list! Many good biking roads there?
I'd still come back here for the summers tho. :)
It' a great place to ride. No mountains which kind of suck. I like curvey mountain roads. But many beachside roads and a lot are curvey. But very expensive houses with low-speed limits and a lot of Police. So it's risky lol.
I love it here, I've lived in 5 other states from Montana(on the Canadian Border) to NYC. Florida is by far the best biker state! But I have been to NZ once and I would move there in a split second if I could. How about a trade? lol

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
It' a great place to ride. No mountains which kind of suck. I like curvey mountain roads. But many beachside roads and a lot are curvey. But very expensive houses with low-speed limits and a lot of Police. So it's risky lol.
I love it here, I've lived in 5 other states from Montana(on the Canadian Border) to NYC. Florida is by far the best biker state! But I have been to NZ once and I would move there in a split second if I could. How about a trade? lol
Florida is certainly a nice state, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's the "best biker state". While you do have those nice 70 F high temps in the dead of winter, your summertime weather can be pretty nasty as far as heat and humidity. Lots of insects to contend with too. And while I can't say that I've driven extensively throughout Florida, the roads are basically flat, and are for the most part fairly boring. Certainly nothing even close to the kind of roads we have out here in the Rocky Mountain states...

DSC_0232.JPG

Granted, states like Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, etc. don't have winter weather conducive to year round motorcycling. But then again, you don't have the opportunity to go snow skiing or snowmobiling in Florida.

Also hard to beat the off road motorcycle riding opportunities found in the west...

And the snowmobiling here in the Rockies is as good as it gets...

DSC_0825.JPG

At the end of the day, for me it's not about being able to ride a motorcycle every day of the year. To be honest, I'd probably grow tired of it. Which is why I choose to live in the west... it's the quality of the riding opportunities, as opposed to quantity.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Florida is certainly a nice state, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's the "best biker state". While you do have those nice 70 F high temps in the dead of winter, your summertime weather can be pretty nasty as far as heat and humidity. Lots of insects to contend with too. And while I can't say that I've driven extensively throughout Florida, the roads are basically flat, and are for the most part fairly boring. Certainly nothing even close to the kind of roads we have out here in the Rocky Mountain states...

View attachment 11618

Granted, states like Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, etc. don't have winter weather conducive to year round motorcycling. But then again, you don't have the opportunity to go snow skiing or snowmobiling in Florida.

Also hard to beat the off road motorcycle riding opportunities found in the west...

And the snowmobiling here in the Rockies is as good as it gets...

View attachment 11634

At the end of the day, for me it's not about being able to ride a motorcycle every day of the year. To be honest, I'd probably grow tired of it. Which is why I choose to live in the west... it's the quality of the riding opportunities, as opposed to quantity.
well that's what I basically said lol. I grew up in MT, family is still there I go back alot and still ski. My cousin owns a little motel/cabins on the southwest corner of Yellowstone(Jackson Hole Wyoming) and rents snowmobiles. It's not like I'm landlocked lol. Every state has it's benefits. I love Florida, I am disabled and cannot live permanently in cold weather. I am on the South West coast of Florida on the Gulf. Riding down the roads all along the beach is beautiful too and the sunsets are amazing over the water. Many curvy roads there but no nothing like mountains. I use to ride dirt bikes, no way I can now..at least not ride and have fun lol.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Love the roads of the Pacific Northwest....... Nice photos.
Yeah, the Pacific Northwest is a spectacular part of the country. So are you up in the British Columbia area of the Canadian Rockies?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yeah, the Pacific Northwest is a spectacular part of the country. So are you up in the British Columbia area of the Canadian Rockies?
I live in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island. Great jump off point for mainland BC or WA state (after a ferry ride of course)

Planning a trip to the Rockies specifically this summer actually. Got probably 4 going so far. My old man says he's going to ride from Ontario and meet me there, likely taking a route through the states. He did it three years ago and mentioned how the roads (and coffee) got better the further west he rode. The way home was "all downhill from there"

1 - 20 of 33 Posts