Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how come manufacturers like Honda haven't looked at making diesel or hybrid bikes?

Gasoline isn't getting any cheaper :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Not sure about diesel and hybrids but I have seen articles and ads about electronic motorcycles. I think that hybrid bikes aren't the best idea because you then have to fit multiple batteries and a gas tank onto the bike. Fully gas or fully electric I think makes more sense for bikes. Bikes already are pretty fuel efficient too, so people care less about the MPG since it is already way better than almost any car you can buy.

·
Registered
532 Posts
the army uses diesel bikes, Its just easier to have diesel everything...

I think it could work for sure, GOBS of torque, probably better for touring or commuters...

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
If there is one green bike i want to give a try is the 2015 Enmergica Ego. from what I have read its a torquey beast that doesnt' contribute in hurting our air quality. Why not? I think Honda should give it a try. They would have anything to lose. No clutch though, all twist and more time to attack the apex. Oh... and just one long and fast gear ;)

What do you guys think?

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
There are a few electric bikes out there, and more under development. The problem is that the technology is still very expensive (just as it is with e-cars), and the operating range is relatively short. You'll need a lot of money to go out and buy one of the e-bikes currently available.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I like the idea of an electric motor in the rear wheel hub coupled to a small displacement mill. Electric motors act as their own generators so as long as the wheel is turning its spooling power. Use i for quick bursts of POWAA.

Or even a front wheel mounted electric motor. Little bit of 2WD ;)

·
Registered
707 Posts
I wouldn't mind a fully electric bike, just as long as it looks like the tron bike, and of course with the chick on it pictured below, i like her lean ;)

·
Registered
203 Posts
There are more and more electric bikes coming out. I'm a little surprised that Honda hasn't come out with an electric motorcycle in concept form yet.

Honda has come out with an electric scooter though. It's called the Honda EV-Neo

·
Registered
707 Posts
There are more and more electric bikes coming out. I'm a little surprised that Honda hasn't come out with an electric motorcycle in concept form yet.

Honda has come out with an electric scooter though. It's called the Honda EV-Neo

I would be surprised too. They do after all have EV tech, they're even teaming up with GM to develop batteries. It only makes sense if they become the first to make this idea go mainstream

·
Registered
162 Posts
I did find this company called Zero Motorcycles that exclusively sells electric motorcycles. Range looks like about 275 km of city driving. The bikes look a bit strange without the exhaust under them and out the back, but it seems to be legit.

The catch is the price of course. This bike has a top speed of 153 km/h and produces 54 hp. It's cost? Just $13,645.

Zero Motorcycles Canada ? The Electric Motorcycle Company - Official Site

·
Registered
532 Posts
I think you start to see more electric scooters first simply because most of them stay within the confines of metro areas. Not so many folks doing long distance touring on a scooter :D

but stranger things have happened ;)

·
Registered
707 Posts
I think you start to see more electric scooters first simply because most of them stay within the confines of metro areas. Not so many folks doing long distance touring on a scooter :D

but stranger things have happened ;)

That is true!
Mainly people use them for short distant riding. but with lithium ion battery tech getting better there's no doubt we can see full normal bikes running all electric.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wouldn't mind a fully electric bike, just as long as it looks like the tron bike, and of course with the chick on it pictured below, i like her lean ;)

that is a nice shirt :cool:
most uncomfortable riding position of the year award goes TOOOOOo:
hehe

In all seriousness.

I think for larger motorcycles it would be nice to have an electric motor paired with a gas motor.

Some of the 4 cylinder larger CC motorcycles have very little torque low end. The electric motors could help out

I mean.. That would make the motorcycle even larger I know.. Maybe for cruisers? I don't know.. Just brainstorming here. I have wondered why there are so little options for diesel engines though. Guess they dont work that well when they are so small?

·
Registered
532 Posts
That is true!
Mainly people use them for short distant riding. but with lithium ion battery tech getting better there's no doubt we can see full normal bikes running all electric.
the problem for touring is you run into a infrastructure issue... where do you charge up on a twisting mountain road...

·
Registered
707 Posts
the problem for touring is you run into a infrastructure issue... where do you charge up on a twisting mountain road...
thats true.
better to wait till the electric charging infrastructure is up to a point where an electric long-distance bike is practical.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Weight is something hard to overcome when trying to make an electric bike

You need to deal with the weight of the electric motor along with the heavy and dense lithium batterys.

Lithium batteries are very compact today but when you need the power to move a motorcycle and you - you need ALOT of batteries.

Also worth mentioning lithium batteries can degrade so in terms of long term reliability.. I guess its a concern.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Weight is a big killer, but the plus side to electric power and electric motors is that they pack a lot of torque which will help move that weight. At the right time this will all happen as battery tech improves and bike makers can implement lighter materials for building bike.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
video of a diesel motorcycle in action

vtwin turbo diesel..geez that thing must be a hoot down low.

and of course there is this video from rideapart about electric bikes

·
Registered
707 Posts
Vtwin turbo diesel sounds pretty good!

RideApart is right. Electric bikes are basically the future of commuting around, for a true motorcycle experience it's probably best to stick to gasoline.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Are there any hybrid motorcycles out there at all? I feel like it is impractical to put all the parts for a electric motor and a gas motor all on a bike. Wouldn't there not be enough space, or wouldn't it make the bike too heavy?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts