Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not interested in the Ninja 300 or the KTM.
I am wondering if anyone here had a difficult time choosing between the R3 and the CBR300R. I know the h.p. difference, but there are different characteristics between how a single and a twin behave / respond.
I have only ridden the R3. (No demo CBR available at the moment.)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well my sister had a Ninja 300 when I ordered mine, and I thought that was a great little bike, don't think it looks as good as the CBR, but was a bit quicker.
I was just down sizing from my CBF600 and being a bit of a Honda nut I went for the CBR300, loved the look and weight and plenty powerful enough for everything I want, and they where doing a great deal when I bought mine, seat cowl, Scorpion slip on, plus £500 off sticker.
9 out of 11 of the bikes I have owned have been Hondas!

·
Registered
272 Posts
CBR300 vs Others

I was looking for a good price performance ratio. Especially KTM and Yamaha MT-03 have more power, but are much more expensive. For that price I would rather get something (used) from the 500..600ccm class. For my use case, the CBR300 has enough power. Appearance, suspension and quality is good, so I got a brand new CBR300R.
Before you decide, check what you really need. If you need more power, it doesn't make sense to get a CBR300 and try to tune it. The tuning stuff costs more than a bike with more power. Also check your needs for luggage transport and seating position. Do you ride with passenger ?
For my opinion, passenger seating is not bad on the CBR300 compared to other sport bikes...
I hope you pick the right one ;-)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was looking for a good price performance ratio. Especially KTM and Yamaha MT-03 have more power, but are much more expensive. For that price I would rather get something (used) from the 500..600ccm class. For my use case, the CBR300 has enough power. Appearance, suspension and quality is good, so I got a brand new CBR300R.
Before you decide, check what you really need. If you need more power, it doesn't make sense to get a CBR300 and try to tune it. The tuning stuff costs more than a bike with more power. Also check your needs for luggage transport and seating position. Do you ride with passenger ?
For my opinion, passenger seating is not bad on the CBR300 compared to other sport bikes...
I hope you pick the right one ;-)
Thanks Gwaihir.
No passenger ever. Tankbag or tailbag would be enough for me. No used middleweight as I have one now and want to downsize to compensate for my old body.
Day to day stuff. Some highway, usually 1/2 hour or less. The odd day trip through countryside. Will want to do maintenance and fiddling myself.

·
Super Moderator
3,002 Posts
I am not interested in the Ninja 300 or the KTM.
I am wondering if anyone here had a difficult time choosing between the R3 and the CBR300R. I know the h.p. difference, but there are different characteristics between how a single and a twin behave / respond.
I have only ridden the R3. (No demo CBR available at the moment.)
As someone who has been on this forum since it was first started by VS (same outfit that has the CBR250.net site), I think a fair number of CBR300R owners here bought their bikes before the Yamaha R3 was actually available for purchase in most markets.

Are you a member on the CBR250.net site (seems like I've seen your username before on that site)? Anyway, check out the R3 thread there. A long time Australian member there (username Aufitt) owned and raced a CBR250R, and then recently bought an R3. Seems like he's pretty happy with the bike.

For myself, if I were looking at buying a 300 class bike today, I'd probably go for the R3. Honda is supposed to have a new bike coming for this segment, but it sounds like that could be still a year or more away from being available.

Reactions: Treve82

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As someone who has been on this forum since it was first started by VS (same outfit that has the CBR250.net site), I think a fair number of CBR300R owners here bought their bikes before the Yamaha R3 was actually available for purchase in most markets.

Are you a member on the CBR250.net site (seems like I've seen your username before on that site)? Anyway, check out the R3 thread there. A long time Australian member there (username Aufitt) owned and raced a CBR250R, and then recently bought an R3. Seems like he's pretty happy with the bike.

For myself, if I were looking at buying a 300 class bike today, I'd probably go for the R3. Honda is supposed to have a new bike coming for this segment, but it sounds like that could be still a year or more away from being available.
Thanks Mike,
Yes I did frequent the CBR250 website a couple of years ago, and I do remember Aufitt as well as youself. I stopped when I got myself a 1989 Honda NT650 Hawk GT. Wonderful bike and I still have it. I am 70 now and this old body, although it still works, is requesting a motorcycle smaller and lighter.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was thinking about building a cafe project bike with a limited budget of about $3k. I became interested in turning an older Ninja 250 into a cafe. I test rode a couple of them and decided the low end power was really poor. I was bummed because I did not like the characteristics of the motor, but I became more and more intrigued with smaller displacement bikes.

As I continued my research, I started thinking about how much I really like modern bikes with EFI, reliability, ease of maintenance, and braking characteristics. This led me to the the CB300F because it has a Street-fighter image and a single cylinder that offers more low end torque than the 250's that I test rode. I have found the Honda 300 to be easy to wrench on, cheap to maintain and insure, lightweight, fun, and capable too.

Anyhow....I found a used one for a great price which left a few bucks available for modifications to personalize the bike just for me and my tastes. My little red bike has a small motor and will never be powerful, but it sings a little louder and rides a little sweeter these days.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
If I were in the market for a 300 and the Ninja, KTM, and R3 were available to me as well... I'd still pick the Honda. Their build quality and refinement are a step ahead. That, and I'm more of a Honda fanboi.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Bikes basically have three fundamental qualities - fast, cheap, reliable.

But you can only pick two. You can have fast and cheap, but it won't be reliable. You can have fast and reliable, but it won't be cheap. You can have cheap and reliable........

I wanted cheap and reliable, though Honda added style for free - bonus!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for great input.
There is an R3 available for $4000 cdn. with 6000 km on it so I will go for that and see how I feel about it in 3 months. First instinct was to get a CBR because I have become used to engines with low and midrange grunt (BMW R100S, F650, Ducat Pantah, Honda Hawk GT). I will have to dial my brain back to racing a 125GP bike (ancient history).
The nice thing about sub-$5000 bikes is that it is not too financially painful to change your mind. :)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
returning after a break [4 previous road hondas]
checked out available small bikes, saw engine
schematics for then new cbr250r..
impulse buyer selling near new all black cbr250r
agreed to great cash sale [with alpine stars leater]
so she became my daily transport..
started first touch every time, etc..

when stolen, decided after checking others
to get a new cbr250r [insurance] which
turned out to be the next year model
with 36cc longer stroke - cbr300ra..

couldnt count on new indian made ktm
with indian brakes [panned in reviews]
yamaha is no doubt a nice bike,
its just not a honda..

·
Registered
75 Posts
I still don't have my CBR 300 yet, but it looks really good for an entry level bike. I'm speaking for the Tri-Color or Red. I've spent the last weekend riding a friends CBR and it's really a nice bike for the price. I let my friend borrow my Mercedes SLK for 3 days, and in return I get his CBR300 for 3 day as well. It's a really light bike and fun to toss around.

I recently sold my FZ6r. It was a great bike, but I spend most of my time riding the canyons, so it made sense to go back to lightweight bikes. R3 will have more power of course, but the CBR300 is a really joy to ride.

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
My decision was made easy by the fact that the R3 and RC390 were not available in NZ at my time of purchase.
The Ninja was, but it was $500 dearer and because I had already had a CBR250R for the year previous I was already bitten by the WeeBR bug.
Oh and I could also transfer most of my mod parts off the 250R onto the 300R so that clinched it.
:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
First bike for me. Was very interested in the R3 and 390 Duke. Being short, the 390 Duke seat height was too high so that was out. I fit on the R3 perfectly, but no ABS option so that was out. Tried sitting on a 300R on a whim and I just fit with the standard seat and it had optional ABS so that was it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Funny story actually.

So my last vehicle transaction was selling my 99 F250 to my boss and he traded me an 05' astro van for work in the deal. I had my trailer hooked up to the back of the new to me van and was ready to head to Marietta, Ga (about 3 hrs away) to get a Yamaha R3 that me and this guy on craigslist had been making a deal on for about 2 weeks. I had the deal down to $4250 with him and the wire transfer for my bank was all set up.

The morning of the sale with my boss, he has a new truck delivery coming in (he sell cars/motorcycles) and off came a 15' CBR300R red white and blue with 700 miles on it and he gave it to me for what he had in it and I came out not having to drive 7 hours and do a wire transfer and all so I loaded up the CBR and took her home. For the 40 miles I've put on it, it was really fun and enjoyable, cant wait to actually drive it without a slipping clutch.

Unfortunately still waiting for Honda to fix the clutch erghhhhhhh they've had it for now 8 days, they also had to do 2 recalls they said but on Hondas website it only says I was due for 1. The ignition switch adhesive thing. Any clues?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Thanks everyone for great input.
There is an R3 available for $4000 cdn. with 6000 km on it so I will go for that and see how I feel about it in 3 months. First instinct was to get a CBR because I have become used to engines with low and midrange grunt (BMW R100S, F650, Ducat Pantah, Honda Hawk GT). I will have to dial my brain back to racing a 125GP bike (ancient history).
The nice thing about sub-$5000 bikes is that it is not too financially painful to change your mind. :)
With the R3 you forgo the ABS brakes. I know some people don't care... Well, to each his own :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With the R3 you forgo the ABS brakes. I know some people don't care... Well, to each his own :)
On a CBR I would take all that stuff off to reduce weight. Replace with a simple SS braided line. But that's just me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts