Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who live in areas with enforced motorcycle helmet laws, how do you feel about it? I have always been opposed to helmet laws, on principle alone. Now, I personally would never ride without a helmet, but I think if someone wants to make that decision, they should be able to make it.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
The same way I feel about seatbelts - only a fool would refuse to use them.

I have spent too much time around motorsports, including as a race marshal, to underestimate the value of crash helmets.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The same way I feel about seatbelts - only a fool would refuse to use them.

I have spent too much time around motorsports, including as a race marshal, to underestimate the value of crash helmets.
I agree with you on both helmets and seat belts, as in only a fool would go without, but I also believe in a person's right to be a fool, so long as they are the only ones harmed when things go awry.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I agree with you on both helmets and seat belts, as in only a fool would go without, but I also believe in a person's right to be a fool, so long as they are the only ones harmed when things go awry.
But how often does that apply? Maybe if you're a hermit with no friends or living relatives?

I have lost three friends to head injuries suffered when not wearing a helmet - one on the road when he was dicking about and two who were riding in paddocks and thought they didn't need a helmet. One of these was killed while the other two suffered massive personality changes.

In all cases, even though nobody else was directly involved in the accidents, the suffering was felt by many people, in one case his young children.

I'm not proposing we should avoid everything dangerous, just that responsible people will mitigate risks as far as practically possible. Some of the people I admire most (mostly racing drivers who took ridiculous risks) would see any person foregoing a crash helmet as a complete idiot.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
I live in a state which only requires helmets to be worn by riders under the age of 18. Wouldn't matter to me if it were mandatory for every motorcycle rider... law or no law, I won't ride without a helmet.

IMO, those who ride without helmets are just further proof of Darwin's Theory of Natural Selection. Not sure how that old saying goes, but sometimes there is no fixing stupid... so they make laws in an effort to protect the dummies from themselves.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I live in a state which only requires helmets to be worn by riders under the age of 18. Wouldn't matter to me if it were mandatory for every motorcycle rider... law or no law, I won't ride without a helmet.

IMO, those who ride without helmets are just further proof of Darwin's Theory of Natural Selection. Not sure how that old saying goes, but sometimes there is no fixing stupid... so they make laws in an effort to protect the dummies from themselves.
Again, I agree with you on the importance of wearing a helmet, and I would never ride a bike without one. As far as natural selection is concerned, you are also right. So from a philosophical perspective wouldn't it make sense to allow natural selection to take place?

I don't want to make light of children losing a parent. I have lost both my parents and it is truly a tragedy. Looking at the bigger picture though, any ill consequences of a person's decisions should lie at the fault of that person alone. Evolutionarily speaking, by the government implementing laws to "protect" stupid people, isnt that allowing stupid to propagate? If people are allowed to be stupid, it also allows for positive evolution

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
people believed in their 'right' to keep slaves..
or the 'right' to beat their wife, and so on..

as to motorcyclists wearing helmets,
its so obvious and self-evident
as to be a no brainer..

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
.....any ill consequences of a person's decisions should lie at the fault of that person alone.......
Stop it. You're giving me a headache.

Because I am conflicted on this issue. On the one hand, I am a believer in 'small government' and I hate 'nanny governments', on the other I'm not an anarchist or unrealistic about human nature - we need rules. It's a matter of balance, but with emotive issues like this, it's hard to put values on things like the freedom to turn your kids into orphans and/or destroy your parents' happiness!

I don't know how to decide but, in this case at least, I don't think the downside to wearing a helmet (it gets sweaty and the schoolgirls can't see how cool I am) even nearly outweighs the upside (my partner doesn't have to spoon feed me the rest of my life).

Sorry to be flippant, but those really are the two sides as far as I can see.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I live in CA. I think wearing a helmet is smart & safe. Especially if you're this clown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOpCjVDZRuE
I'm from the Bay Area and I'm all for safety. Whoever this person is is looking to get into an accident. Riding like that in S.F. is reckless and stupid. Hospital bills will straighten him out, if he even lives though a crash.

Reactions: jkautz

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think this discussion applies to a lot of others regarding how governments step in to protect their citizens. I agree that seatbelts and helmets only protect the user and do not affect the safety of others. However, governments also ban things like certain firework partly because of the danger they can inflict on the user. Same thing could be said with building safety codes on private structures (like decks).

With all the "safety" regulations that the USA and local governments have in place I'm surprised there aren't more state helmet laws. I wonder if mandatory education on how much helmets protect (for newly licensed motorcyclists) would be helpful.

·
Registered
236 Posts
But how often does that apply? Maybe if you're a hermit with no friends or living relatives?

I have lost three friends to head injuries suffered when not wearing a helmet - one on the road when he was dicking about and two who were riding in paddocks and thought they didn't need a helmet. One of these was killed while the other two suffered massive personality changes.

In all cases, even though nobody else was directly involved in the accidents, the suffering was felt by many people, in one case his young children.

I'm not proposing we should avoid everything dangerous, just that responsible people will mitigate risks as far as practically possible. Some of the people I admire most (mostly racing drivers who took ridiculous risks) would see any person foregoing a crash helmet as a complete idiot.
I would agree with everything that is said here. I would also add that many times you aren't alone on the road, or free of other traffic when you go down. For example: if I were driving a car and got in an accident with a motorcyclist in a situation where he/she was not wearing a helmet, it would be a difficult thing for me to overcome if that person died in the crash. The point is, there are so many other parties who have an emotional investment in your safety that you may not consider when you go out riding without a helmet or gear on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts