Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't really have any room to complain compared to those of you who live in Texas, Arizona, NM, SoCal etc. There have been highs of 100+(F) this past week. I'm usually good riding home from work because I don't have very far to go, but sitting at a stoplight can be brutal sometimes.

Is there a point where you just say, "screw it. I'm taking the cage today."

·
Registered
33 Posts
For the past 2 month out here in Houston, Texas we been getting 98+F. I ride with full gear and sometimes it get hot at the stop light. I also ride everyday

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Sitting at the light can get difficult, but once I start moving, the breeze solves it for me.

I realize it's not smart, but I'm not as dedicated with wearing the gear like I should be. Helps with facing the heat, but not recommended, of course.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Up to 40c in summer here in Thailand but rainy season now so low 30c's.
When I come back from a ride my shirt,gloves and helmet lining are ringing wet.(I wear full protection gear despite the heat.)
I have never let the heat or cold stop my enjoyment of riding.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did my lessons during a heat wave in Vancouver. It was 36-38c (96f-100f) during the parking lot sessions. So never got the bike above 30 kph. It was pretty bad. I wore a running shirt that I kept wet. It made it bearable. But it showed me that I could ride in that weather but that would be the upper limit for me.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Well, because I ride only for pleasure, and I ride only in full gear, around 30C is my upper limit, maybe a little more if the humidity isn't unbearable. This effectively means that I get the bike out very rarely in Summer, here in Brisbane.

I'm not anal enough to spend time researching it, but my guess is that the climate here in Brisbane is just about as good as it could be for someone like me, who rides only in the dry and when temps are between say 20 - 30C. We get plenty of days like that.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'll ditch the jacket when it gets up to 30c or 86f. But my riding also changes. Since I really only ride for pleasure, I'll go out early in the morning or later in the day for the longer rides. If I'm riding in the mid-day heat, it's only short rides or rides where I know there won't be a lot of sitting in traffic.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I ride in anything above 50f. I ride in full gear (helmet, jacket, gloves) no matter what. Summers here reach well into the 100's, and it does get brutal at times, but I don't mind it. It's the cold I hate.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I guess it all depends on how you are feeling on that particular hot day. Tomorrow it will be about 109*F here in Solano County. I don't mind riding on a hot day since I sweat easily and it helps me cool down, but I would prefer to drive the car if it's 80*F+. However, if I have to work I will take the car to avoid sweating like crazy.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I rode into San Antonio yesterday mostly by interstate with an outside temp of about 100 F. The heavy rain I encountered cooled things off a bit. You gotta be tough to ride motorcycles. That 120-mile ride was on my Gixxer to pick up an air filter for the CB300F. The part was on sale for half price, so I saved $7.00. Of course I spent more than that on gas for the Gixxer and another 3 hours of my time cleaning the bike and oiling the chain. You gotta be tough and a little nuts to ride motorcycles.

I do have 20W50 oil in my CB300F for the hot weather and so I usually ride the CB300F if I think I am going to get stuck in traffic. It's a better hot weather bike than the Gixxer. Larger engines generate more heat so you start to feel heat radiating after a while, especially when stopped in traffic. The naked, smaller bikes with radiators...like the CB300F are outstanding hot weather bikes.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If I'm just riding in town, (I live in a town of 10k) and its over 80 I'll ride with shorts and a t-shirt, and just accept the fact that if I go down, it's going to suck... A lot. I do still wear a full face helmet and leather gloves though. If I'm riding outside of town where the speed gets up over 40mph, I always ride with full gear. I did a little over 120 miles this afternoon and it was about 90°F. Even with all the arm/chest/back vents in my jacket opened, as well as all 4 helmet vents open, it was pretty uncomfortable after about 30 minutes. I don't think it could get hot enough (at least where I live) that I would avoid riding, but it definitely takes a little of the enjoyment out of it

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I NEVER go out without full gear. Ever. Never ever.

Except.........

Mrs Wife and I spent a few days around Uluru (Ayers Rock to some) in central Australia, in Summer. Hot? I recall seeing 48C on a temp display and, when the wind blew, it was like standing outside an open blast furnace or in front of God's hairdryer. Anyways, I decide to rent a Harley for a day, just to chug around the very few roads in the region. When picking up the bike, we asked for jackets to go with the helmets and gloves. The rental guy said we wouldn't be able to wear them - it was too hot, but I delivered a short speech on safety and insisted. Tw*t? Moi?

We duly chugged off in jackets. For about three hundred metres. That's when I started to melt, a waterfall commenced running down my face and breathing became an effort. Mrs Wife was similarly discomforted.

That's how long the jackets lasted. Off they came to be stuffed into the thankfully commodious panniers. We then had an almost bearable few hours riding about in tees and a great time was had, to the point where I started to see the point of big Harleys.

So no, I don't ride in tees, ever. Period. Full stop. Except.....

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Jeez Here in Florida it's in the 100's half a year long. I won't even say what I wear because I know I'll be squidded.
Ha, yeah you don't want the collective weight of the forum safety regime bearing down on you Lol

Man I wish I had that problem, or maybe somewhere between your climate and my cold one. Being a mere 130lbs wringing wet i def feel the cold out there and have a whole assortment of warm riding gear that fills two wardrobes. :laugh:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Jeez Here in Florida it's in the 100's half a year long. I won't even say what I wear because I know I'll be squidded.
I only ride in the morning during summer here in Tampa, but in a couple more months we will have five or six months of good riding weather.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So long as I'm moving, I'm fine in 95 degree heat with full armor on. Never gone up to 100 degrees though

1 - 20 of 22 Posts