Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How many miles on your 300 (R or F), and any major maintenance done (like tires, chain, sprockets, brakepads, filter changes, valve adjustments etc...)?

Oil change, air in tires, and fuel ups are not considered major maintenance, .. just in case :p

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have 4700 mi. on my CB300F. No, nothing other than the recall. A few quirks like the kickstand too long and my bike never seems to start with any conviction almost like the battery is weak, but it has never failed to start almost always very quickly after say a half second crank. It has on a few occasions started, then abruptly died after a split second. It's almost like there isn't a burst of energy from the battery like with my other bikes to turn the starter over quickly. Experience has told me that this will be deemed normal by any Honda Dealer so I haven't looked into it. Mechanics are experts at NOT finding anything wrong with your bike ever unless it doesn't start. Must be part of their training. Rattles, hesitations, things that need adjustment, funny noises, handling issues ("all normal with this particular model", lol) Almost whatever you ride away with is what you get when under warranty. I had the gas cap rattle too, but finally figured out what it was after 6 months and a couple of attempts at taking the bike apart and looking at different stuff that might be rattling, but it's been a good bike.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
I'm away on tour at present. Ticked over 10k miles today, no dramas. Will write more thoughts when hm with time to do it. The WeeBR keeps purring along :)

Reactions: Fanatic

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
8350 km in total for the year (slightly over 5000 miles). Close to 6800 km on the Vespa GTS and the rest on the CB300FA (bought it in Oct).
My CB also doesn't start in a convincing manner. It always starts, but it also takes a little while to start firing. When it's warm it fires right away.
The Vespa would start faster. No issues with the Vespa or CB besides regular maintenance.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
"WeeBR" sounds like "CBR" plus the term "wee" is commonly used by folks from Scotland and Ireland to describe something small, which compared to most other bikes in the CBR range, our is.

It also demonstrates how astoundingly clever CBR300 riders are.

;)

·
Banned
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Like a weewee.
Anyway,
Kiwi, are you riding on stock tires?
And at 10k miles still no valve adjustment done? (My Rebel got 15k and still runs great, but highly pressed for the first VA).

Michale B. Sounds like he needs one (at 6.8k).
When it fires up harder, is either a valve adjustment, or battery issue.

·
Registered
151 Posts
14,000km now no major maintenance bar the recall

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
......When it fires up harder, is either a valve adjustment, or battery issue.
Battery, possibly, but in 40 years of owning and working on vehicles, I have never seen a single example of poor starting fixed by valve adjustment. Many years ago, engines that ran poorly might be found to need valve clearances adjusted, but that was usually just one symptom of poor maintenance and other things needed to be done, too - most probs eventually traced to carbs or ignition (especially old-style distributors).

These days I have much less experience because cars and bikes are so much more reliable, but I have recently learned that lots of strange issues (not just starting) can be caused by a 'tired' battery. I think modern computerised systems can be affected by even a small drop in voltage. The engine will crank OK, perhaps a bit slower, and the thing will run, but it might run unevenly and even suffer mysterious electrical problems. I fixed a few of these just by replacing the battery.

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Kiwi, are you riding on stock tires?
And at 10k miles still no valve adjustment done? (My Rebel got 15k and still runs great, but highly pressed for the first VA).
No, I changed them at 8,500 miles. The front was still OK (ish) but the rear was absolutely shot.
First valve inspection is @ 16K miles on the CB/R300.

I must've missed it, but why do some of you guys call it "Wee BR"? :serious::nerd:
We have a big Scottish heritage here in NZ Freezuch and in my province we even roll our R's the same as them when we speak.

So yeah, as JNO pointed out, wee means small and the CBR250/300's are affectionately referred to as the WeeBR's being the smallest of the CBR clan.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Battery, possibly, but in 40 years of owning and working on vehicles, I have never seen a single example of poor starting fixed by valve adjustment. Many years ago, engines that ran poorly might be found to need valve clearances adjusted, but that was usually just one symptom of poor maintenance and other things needed to be done, too - most probs eventually traced to carbs or ignition (especially old-style distributors).

These days I have much less experience because cars and bikes are so much more reliable, but I have recently learned that lots of strange issues (not just starting) can be caused by a 'tired' battery. I think modern computerised systems can be affected by even a small drop in voltage. The engine will crank OK, perhaps a bit slower, and the thing will run, but it might run unevenly and even suffer mysterious electrical problems. I fixed a few of these just by replacing the battery.

While new batteries do make starting a little less sluggish I have found that just as often hitting the terminals with some sand papper and cleaning any other terminals to do the same thing. Emphisis on the battery terminals as even if they seem clean just a little corrosion makes a difference.
When my batteries resting voltage hits 12.0 v neat after the surface charge has warn off I like to start thinking about replacement anyway as its the first sign of a tired battery

·
Registered
274 Posts
We have a big Scottish heritage here in NZ Freezuch and in my province we even roll our R's the same as them when we speak.

So yeah, as JNO pointed out, wee means small and the CBR250/300's are affectionately referred to as the WeeBR's being the smallest of the CBR clan.
Thank you for the explanation JNO and Kiwi!
So, if CBR300R is Wee, what do you call CBR125R? :laugh:

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
While new batteries do make starting a little less sluggish I have found that just as often hitting the terminals with some sand papper and cleaning any other terminals to do the same thing. Emphisis on the battery terminals as even if they seem clean just a little corrosion makes a difference.
When my batteries resting voltage hits 12.0 v neat after the surface charge has warn off I like to start thinking about replacement anyway as its the first sign of a tired battery
I use vasaline on the battery terminals and stops any corrosion, using a brass wire brush to clean the terminals first.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts