Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would like to figure this out as well, because i have reached the last bar when it starts to flash and have never refilled past 2.7 gallons of the 3.4 tank

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Best way to go about answering this question, is begin by calculating your MPG's over a few tank fulls to get an idea of your average MPG's. With a total tank capacity of 3.4 gallons on these bikes, you've got about 3.0 gallons of usable fuel (the 0.4 gal is needed to keep the fuel pump submerged in gas, and running cool).

For example on my CBR250R (which also has a 3.4 gallon tank), I'm typically getting 70 - 75 MPG for the kind of riding I do. So I know that with my trip meter reset to zero with each fill up, and 3.0 gallons of usable fuel, I can go at least 200 to 210 miles without worry of overheating the fuel pump.

To the question of "How many miles left when the last bar starts flashing?", on a few occasions when I've checked it, I found that my last bar started flashing at around the 175 to 180 mile mark on the trip meter. So on my bike, I've got roughly 25 to 30 miles from when the last bar first starts flashing to get to a gas station safely without using any of the 0.4 gallon that the fuel pump needs to run cool.

But these are the numbers for my bike. Because of the variable's involved, everyone needs to figure out these numbers for their specific bike in order to come up with the answer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
According to the owner's handbook, there's 3.1 litres in the tank when the light starts flashing, so you should be able to coax a bit more than 40 miles out. Not sure how far I'd want ride to put this to the test though......but your fuel pump relies on gasoline to stay cool, so it's best to keep it submerged instead of running it dry

-MotoMike & CBR300R

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Ran my dry once accidentally. It was at 45 miles after bar started flashing.
Sounds like you were running at fairly high speeds/RPM's and really burning through the fuel.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Ran my dry once accidentally. It was at 45 miles after bar started flashing.
QUOTE of the day Kiwi...at least you let it be known !:devil:

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
QUOTE of the day Kiwi...at least you let it be known !:devil:
Yeah my mama always did say honesty is the best policy :laugh:

I had been out blasting around locally going pretty fast until I got the first cough about a mile out of town, then I was flat on the tank and down to 40 MPH in fifth and weaving from side to side occasionally to keep the fuel sloshing over the fuel pump pick up.
It died just as I coasted into the servo... :D

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Now that was good thinking + timing!

·
Registered
212 Posts
My last bar started flashing at 249.5 miles today. I rode a further 9.3 miles and filled up with 11.24 litres. According to the owners manual there is 3.1 litres remaining when the first bar starts to flash.

It doesn't sound as though my bike has 3.1 litres of fuel remaining when the first fuel bar starts flashing ........

·
Registered
69 Posts
I usually make 100 Km at around 3.2 liter using 20% Gasohol, so flashing usually starts around 300 Km and depending where I am, I do another 40-50 Km, I think so far they didn't manage to refill more than 10 Liter at the station, so in theory 400 Km should be possible, not that I want to try ;-)

Those data will probably change a bit when I have to change gasoline while in Lao or Cambodia. They don't have Gasohol over there (rarely)

I let it to you guys to recalculate that into miles & gallons ;-)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Today was my second fill-up since buying my used bike. When I saw one bar (not yet flashing but solid) I drove about 5 more miles and then went to petrol station. I filled it up and it took a total of 2.263 gallons.

So next time I will wait until its flashing before filling up. Or Actually I may just bring a 5 gallon gas can next time i get gas for my car and fill that up. I live in a dangerous neighborhood and I did not like the vulnerability of filling up the motorcycle because I have to keep my full focus on the task and there are all kinds of thugs and hooligans hanging around, begging for a cigarette or spare change.

I dont want one of these thugs sneaking up behind my back and its impossible to pump gas into a moto while keeping an eye on these criminals. I hate living here, I wish I could afford to move. Robberies, burglaries and muggings every single day of the week going on here.

Even with a pistol in my waistband I am not safe here.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I can go about 80 miles from when the fuel guage starts flashing.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Today was my second fill-up since buying my used bike. When I saw one bar (not yet flashing but solid) I drove about 5 more miles and then went to petrol station. I filled it up and it took a total of 2.263 gallons.

So next time I will wait until its flashing before filling up. Or Actually I may just bring a 5 gallon gas can next time i get gas for my car and fill that up. I live in a dangerous neighborhood and I did not like the vulnerability of filling up the motorcycle because I have to keep my full focus on the task and there are all kinds of thugs and hooligans hanging around, begging for a cigarette or spare change.

I dont want one of these thugs sneaking up behind my back and its impossible to pump gas into a moto while keeping an eye on these criminals. I hate living here, I wish I could afford to move. Robberies, burglaries and muggings every single day of the week going on here.

Couldn't get me to live in a place like that.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Putting my bike away this weekend. It's now dipping into the high 30's at night and it was 40 degrees yesterday as I rode to work. Not a fan of being cold, and definitely not a fan of not riding my bike for 6 months out of the year. The nice thing I guess is that it keeps miles off it, while allowing me time to make repairs and modifications to it before springtime. This will be its third season in winter storage. I have just under 5k miles on it.

As for mileage, I get around 170 miles before the flashing bar. I ride 100% city 0% highway.

·
Registered
36 Posts

I think the suggestion of doing your fill ups a couple of blocks away in a better neighbourhood isn't silly. Even for your car.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I think the suggestion of doing your fill ups a couple of blocks away in a better neighbourhood isn't silly. Even for your car.
Yes, its not too bad I just pay an extra 10 cents per gallon

As far as the moto I still have been filling up the 5 gallon jug at the same time as I fill up my car. Its a big time-saver.

The only drawback is that I cannot calculate my fuel-economy mpg on Fuelly because of I dont have a digital pump readout to tell me how much gasoline has been pumped.

I recently decided to quit worrying about hyper-milling on the CB300F. Its just too dangerous to ride in my big city and I need to keep 100% of my focus on the crazy cagers and that leaves no attention-span left to think about hypermilling.

Even just today some stupid cager on the highway tried to merge right into me and i would have been "boxed out" of my lane if I had not been paying attention. The stupidity of these car drivers never ceases to amaze me. Yesterday a complete IDIOT actually merged over 4 lanes, yes you heard that right FOUR lanes the stupid idiot merged over just to not miss his offramp on the highway. If i had not left enough gap I would be dead.

Im starting to get really scared of the highway, the experts say that you are statistically safer on the highway but now Im not so sure, because in my city the cars REALLY like to go heavy on the gas, its common to see cars exceeding the 55 mph speed limit by >30 or more mph. The cars drive like its the Grand Prix and if you try to leave enough gap in front of you then a cager behind you will ride your ass by inches so it is just plain DANGEROUS and scary on the highways here.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts