Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just purchased my first Honda bike ever(cbr300r). As I went to refuel it there's this fat bar right at the opening of the tank that doesn't allow the petrol hose to go in!
I'm use to driving Yamahas, is this bar thing a Honda thing? How do I safely and properly refuel my Honda with this bar in the way of the hose?

·
Registered
7 Posts
My CBR250R has a plate with a round cut out and a bar underneath. I put the nozzle in the cut out touching the bar and slowly fill. Can't go too fast since the fuel will back up really quick. Fill until the level is just above the front of the plate.

Maybe yours is set up the same way?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi mate this is my first bike too i have just been filling the tank slowly"half squeeze"there is an angle that allows full squeeze but being such a small tank and minimal frequency which i have to fill it i can deal with a half squeeze.
and if it kicks off at full blast fuel goes everywhere as i learnt at my first fill.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Insert the fuel nozzle into the round opening in the baffle plate, and angle the nozzle towards the front of the tank... then just go slow with the fuel delivery handle. It's a small tank, so it won't take long to fill it up to the level of the baffle plate.

FYI: The baffle plate is there to protect the in-tank fuel pump from possibly being damaged by a fuel nozzle being pushed too far into the tank.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Good info on this thread. I just completed my very first refueling.

I also was confused at first. Fortunately, I had a quick chat with my buddy who has a bike as well, and he gave me some insight. Also ran into a fellow Harley rider at the station, and I asked him for some help too.

After the refueling was completed, I thought to myself of how used to I had gotten with cars, haha.

Learning something new everyday on this bike. I'm lovin' it!

·
Registered
38 Posts
adding fuel

has anyone other I had trouble fueling up in California? seems the fuel nozzle is to long to fit and enable fuel to be delivered to my tank of my new cb300f? or is it just a local problem at the pumps?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Even though I'm not fueling in California, I think you'll find the issue to be a brace in the tank opening to save the fuel pump from the damage that could be caused by a deeply inserted fuel nozzle. The California complication would be the addition of the vapor recovery device that is on the nozzles.

You can't just hang the hose in the tank on these bikes. I straddle the bike while fueling, and thus hold the nozzle and handle during the process. You might have to peel the vapor recovery device back a bit, complicating the process. Doable, but irritating. The good news is it is a relativley small tank so it won't take long. The bad news is it is a relatively small tank so you will have to do it more often. :)

Peter

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had my camera last night when re-fueling. If you skip to around 50 second mark, you can get a better angle:

How to refuel the CBR300R

norbvr explained perfectly, peel back the vapor cap with one hand while stabilizing the nozzle, then I hold the pump with my entire arm, like I am shooting a rocket launcher, and pump with my thumb. Everyone does it differently, but if you are going to straddle the bike, just take it slow. Don't mind the people behind you until you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I live in the U.S in Oregon(one of the 2 states with full service fuel stations). I've never pumped gas in a car before since I've never driven my own car outside of the state. It was a very weird experience. Thanks for all the info here, guys!

·
Registered
447 Posts
You might have to avoid those pumps that shoot out with force and that have hard triggers to pull. At least you can look in and see the fuel level as it gets nearly full.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Even though I'm not fueling in California, I think you'll find the issue to be a brace in the tank opening to save the fuel pump from the damage that could be caused by a deeply inserted fuel nozzle. The California complication would be the addition of the vapor recovery device that is on the nozzles.

You can't just hang the hose in the tank on these bikes. I straddle the bike while fueling, and thus hold the nozzle and handle during the process. You might have to peel the vapor recovery device back a bit, complicating the process. Doable, but irritating. The good news is it is a relativley small tank so it won't take long. The bad news is it is a relatively small tank so you will have to do it more often. :)

Peter
This post made me smile:) have you heard the saying about two nations separated by a common language? There are so many double entandres contained within. I urge all of you to read it again and see if you spot them. keep up the good work guys I really love what you have going on here.

·
Registered
66 Posts
One thing to be careful of is that the previous user of the nozzle may have just removed it from a car without draining the fuel from the last few inches of the nozzle. So unless you are very careful when tilting the nozzle to point into your tank, fuel may spill out.
So either get good at aiming the nozzle, or spill the tablespoon of fuel somebody else paid for out on the ground first.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
One thing to be careful of is that the previous user of the nozzle may have just removed it from a car without draining the fuel from the last few inches of the nozzle. So unless you are very careful when tilting the nozzle to point into your tank, fuel may spill out.
So either get good at aiming the nozzle, or spill the tablespoon of fuel somebody else paid for out on the ground first.
I'm very cautious and careful when refueling. I tilt the nozzle a bit, but I don't really try to pour any excess on the ground. Also, I'm very slow and gentle with handling the metal nozzle pipe since I wouldn't want to damage or scratch the bike, of course. I make sure all the excess drops are almost all slowed down to prevent any drops on the tank.

All you can do is be careful, just like with anything else.

* I love fuel savings compared to our SUV and work truck, but that's another story.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Without a hinged cap, finding where to put the cap while refilling can be interesting. I solved this by making a small hook from welding wire that hangs the cap from the bars. (don't swing the bars while refilling !) I used double sided tape to mount a small magnet in the inner cowl area to hold the hook out of sight. I also have found that the tank has an upper "air pocket" due to its shape, and filling to the protective plate in the filler neck yields a 10-12 mile range before the first fuel level bar goes out. By putting the bike on the side stand and carefully adding a little more fuel each time, letting the fuel level settle down (lots of bubbles emerge) until the fuel is halfway up the filler neck, I increase the first bar range to 35-55 miles depending on throttle usage. Sometimes I'm many miles from a filling station, so this has helped out on those long trips.

Attachments

·
Banned
777 Posts
I hate refueling the CBR.
When I use the fuel hose, it spits back the fuel out of the venting holes.
I can never really open the fuel hose all the way.
Even halfway or a quarter the way, and the fuel still spits out.
I have to fuel my bike really slowly. Takes almost as long to fill up, as if I was filling a 10 gallon tank.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I put my gloves at the front of the tank against the bars and rest the cap there. Gloves are quite safe here at my local filling station while I go in to pay.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I put my gloves at the front of the tank against the bars and rest the cap there. Gloves are quite safe here at my local filling station while I go in to pay.
Thats a good idea, Im going to do the same next time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts