Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
The rack I received from Bikerbits did not have the tabs where the rear seat sets. I (poorly) welded tabs on both sides for the rear seat to set on. Otherwise if someone sat on the rear seat it would crush the plastic on the rear. I'm not a photographer or a welder!
Looks like pretty good welding to me!;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Got the same, although this is a original Honda part (H2C), it's not the only design glitch. The distances they welded on are not the same. It's a bit hard to see on the picture, but you might notice the different lengts of the bolts, (wich are of poor quality as well).
So because of the different distances, the distances should be slightly grinded to touch with the whole surface. If you give it a closer look, you'll see that it touches only partly.

That's what happen if you let the boys play with a CAD station, and they never touched a wrench before. What I don't understand, how it could through the Honda quality control.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Got the same, although this is a original Honda part (H2C), it's not the only design glitch. The distances they welded on are not the same. It's a bit hard to see on the picture, but you might notice the different lengts of the bolts, (wich are of poor quality as well).
So because of the different distances, the distances should be slightly grinded to touch with the whole surface. If you give it a closer look, you'll see that it touches only partly.

That's what happen if you let the boys play with a CAD station, and they never touched a wrench before. What I don't understand, how it could through the Honda quality control.
I think that you'll find that this rack is not an original Honda part, even though some unscrupulous companies are selling it as such. ;)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I thought the same, but for me it seems to work fine. When the bolts are tightened, the rack is lilted towards the bike; I think this is on purpose. My rack seems to be attached solidly. I haven't spend much time fiddling with it and inspecting it, though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think that you'll find that this rack is not an original Honda part, even though some unscrupulous companies are selling it as such. ;)
Well, I ordered it @ Greenwing Thailand, which is the official Honda dealer for everything below 300cc. It's produced for Thai/Asian market only, they don't take it so exactly down here. Pretty sure if produced or at least designed @ Honda Japan it would have looked better, probably also priced higher.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So are any of these available that are "plug and play?" I do not want to buy something and have to do more welding or even hole drilling.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
So I can literally order that and just screw it on my bike without any welding or drilling? Why are people welding the extra few pieces then?
Yes, you can just screw it on your bike without any mods. I've done so. You unbolt the grab rails and bolt on the rear rack with the provided bolts. Done.

The other folks are welding the metal tabs, because without the metal tabs in place the rubber standoffs at the back of the pillion seat have nothing to sit on. Thus the pillion seat, the rear of it, would sit on the plastic cover of the rear light and damage it eventually. Lift the pillion seat and look at the metal tabs protruding from the grab rails. Then look at the bottom of the pillion seat, the rear part. You'll see two rubber standoffs that sit on the metal tabs.
If you don't carry passengers or very heavy cargo, it's OK without the metal tabs. Another thing is that without the metal tabs the rear of the pillion seat with have more free play. It will be locked securely, but you'll be able to move it up and down by a little bit. In my case the rear rack brings so much utility I don't worry about this stuff.

·
Registered
42 Posts
thanks, I'll probably go ahead and order it then. I need a fairly easy way to carry a tent, camping chair, jerry can, and sleeping bag/mattress etc. with me and this seems to be what I need.

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
The other folks are welding the metal tabs, because without the metal tabs in place the rubber standoffs at the back of the pillion seat have nothing to sit on. Thus the pillion seat, the rear of it, would sit on the plastic cover of the rear light and damage it eventually. Lift the pillion seat and look at the metal tabs protruding from the grab rails. Then look at the bottom of the pillion seat, the rear part. You'll see two rubber standoffs that sit on the metal tabs.
If you don't carry passengers or very heavy cargo, it's OK without the metal tabs. Another thing is that without the metal tabs the rear of the pillion seat with have more free play. It will be locked securely, but you'll be able to move it up and down by a little bit. In my case the rear rack brings so much utility I don't worry about this stuff.
I dont have those pillion seat rest tabs on my bike either and it's not a problem. I cut mine off by mistake, not realising what they were there for! My pillion seat has never come lose

·
Registered
69 Posts
I dont have those pillion seat rest tabs on my bike either and it's not a problem. I cut mine off by mistake, not realising what they were there for! My pillion seat has never come lose
The seat will not come loose, problem is only if you ride with weight, not necessarely a pillion rider ;).
I have two pictures attached, with the original brackets, there you can see clearly why people weld those plates on.
I've looked a bit into it this afternoon, I'm not a big friend of welding on a original piece, so I had the idea to design brackets to bolt on. I tried with a small piece of metal which I fixed with vice grips. I managed to get the seat on, but in my opinion there's way too much tension on the lock, sooner or later that will become a problem. For those who weld brackets on, it's my opinion to weld them underneath, not the same level as the rack itself.
I'm still looking into brackets, It's just getting a bit more complicated than I thought.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
This is how Hepco-Becker gets away with not having brackets.
Wow, even easier. I did a small template just now, to see if it could work.
I can see why HB does it in two parts, otherwise you're not able to screw it on. However, I'll remove the plastic underneath, so I have access.

Picture from the first trial, I'm off now to get some steel profile :D

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
How likely does anyone think it is that we will get a genuine tail rack from Honda? How long does Honda typically take to make accessories for newer models?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
How likely does anyone think it is that we will get a genuine tail rack from Honda? How long does Honda typically take to make accessories for newer models?
According to bikerzbits, this rack is an original Honda accessory.
It's obvious Honda doesn't intend the 300 as a utility bike. Too bad
for people who can't afford the more expensive bikes...

21 - 40 of 57 Posts