Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

DIscovered this small puddle. I am assuming this is engine oil. But the level is still within the acceptable range. Any idea what could be causing this? Ignore that white stuff it is just some car wax (Nu-Finish) that I accidentally got on the motor

Im thinking to do an oil change this weekend (Bike has around 2100 miles) just in case it is a question of the bolt not being properly tightened or a bad gasket.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Does it smell and feel like oil-because my first thought would be the black radiator hose just above the leak-might want to give the clamp a little tighten to see if that fixes it

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it smell and feel like oil-because my first thought would be the black radiator hose just above the leak-might want to give the clamp a little tighten to see if that fixes it
That is a good observation because yes you can see the path where it drips in the photo. I thought it was engine oil, it is light brown color same as engine oil. It feels like an oil. It is certainly not the chain lube because the chain is on the other side of the bike.

I will check the clamp like you recommend in the morning since it is night-time and I cant see too well out there.

I asked my neighbor to examine the oil level bubble while I stood over the bike and kept it completely upright. He advised that the oil level is directly at 50% in between the upper and lower limits.

4 days ago I asked my nephew to look at the oil level bubble while I stood over the bike. He also advised that the level is about halfway between the 2 lines. So if there is a leak it is an extremely slow leek as you can see in the photo I parked my bike for about 1 week in that exact same spot and you can see how small is the puddle on the floor.

In other news I got caught in the rain for the first time ever today on this bike. When I left the house there was not a cloud in the sky and then it started to rain out of NOWHERE. Which means I will have to reapply the "gear oil experiment" before the 500 miles so it will ruin the experiment for this round. Shucks. I also almost "went down" today about 1 block from my house. I drove over a rain puddle and was making a turn so downshifted from 3 to 2 (But I must have gone to 1 by mistake) and the rear tire began to fishtail and I was very lucky to have saved the bike from falling (I dropped my 2 legs to the ground) . Scared the bejeepers out of me.

·
Super Moderator
3,002 Posts
Certainly looks to be engine oil, and based on where it's landing on the lower cowl, that oil would be dripping from the water pump weep hole.

In this photo, you're pointing right at the casting boss (foundry terminology) where the weep hole is located...

The fix would be to replace the water pump oil seals. Now if it was a case of coolant leaking from the weep hole, you'd need to replace the water pump Mechanical Seal. And since it has to come apart for the new oil seals, common sense says replace the Mechanical Seal at the same time.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Certainly looks to be engine oil, and based on where it's landing on the lower cowl, that oil would be dripping from the water pump weep hole.

In this photo, you're pointing right at the casting boss (foundry terminology) where the weep hole is located...

The fix would be to replace the water pump oil seals. Now if it was a case of coolant leaking from the weep hole, you'd need to replace the water pump Mechanical Seal. And since it has to come apart for the new oil seals, common sense says replace the Mechanical Seal at the same time.
Oh, boy. I am getting very nervous. So you think I need to take it to a mechanic then? Because I am not very handy or mechanically inclined.

I am very uncomfortable about bringing it to mechanic because the oil drip is so slow that it takes days and days to even see a few drops so that means if mechanic fixes it (and after i pay him) I will have no assurance that the leak is actually fixed because the leak is so slow.

So the situation makes me very, very uncomfortable. I wonder if I should just wait until the leak gets worse because then at least I will know if leak is properly repaired. ****, this sucks. I dont even know how this happened, I take such good care of the bike and ride it so conservatively although there have been some rough shifts (my fault) because I am 10 years rusty without having ridden a motorcycle.

Darn, I am so sad and worried now. It couldn't have come at a worse time, I lost my job last month. This is just awful and I cant even find a YouTube video to know what all is involved in performing the repair.

·
Super Moderator
3,002 Posts
Oh, boy. I am getting very nervous. So you think I need to take it to a mechanic then? Because I am not very handy or mechanically inclined.

I am very uncomfortable about bringing it to mechanic because the oil drip is so slow that it takes days and days to even see a few drops so that means if mechanic fixes it (and after i pay him) I will have no assurance that the leak is actually fixed because the leak is so slow.

So the situation makes me very, very uncomfortable. I wonder if I should just wait until the leak gets worse because then at least I will know if leak is properly repaired. ****, this sucks. I dont even know how this happened, I take such good care of the bike and ride it so conservatively although there have been some rough shifts (my fault) because I am 10 years rusty without having ridden a motorcycle.

Darn, I am so sad and worried now. It couldn't have come at a worse time, I lost my job last month. This is just awful and I cant even find a YouTube video to know what all is involved in performing the repair.

If it's just an occasional drip, don't sweat it... it doesn't need to be addressed unless it starts leaking significantly more oil. Honda themselves consider these random or occasional drips from the weep hole nothing to be alarmed about. Just keep an eye on it, and make sure you don't lose any sleep over it.

And, no the leak wasn't caused by rough shifting.

·
Registered
45 Posts
But first...take off the under fairing. It is easy, a couple bolts, clean the area spotless, then watch for the leak every chance you get after a ride. Yes, you can ride without the plastic on. This way you will know exactly where it is coming from, to either tighten something up or tell your dealer where it is coming from, which will save his time to charge you for.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
on downshifting while cornering - not a good idea..
best finish braking and shifting before corner entry, then if necessary use clutch control to manage any change in speed etc..
perhaps include in your practice sessions starting off in second, to get the feel of using extra revs together with slower smoother clutch release, according to movement effects on revs..
ie, you can start in 2nd [esp flat or downslopes] but its just slower.. ie, good over wet corners etc..
think of corners [not just curves] as different to other road situations.. esp in the wet or after rain
when wet leaves etc can accumulate at corners..
turning slowly with good control allows for responses to changed road conditions [water etc]..
as mm and others note, this is not a major concern, but well done noticing and responding..
[ps - you dont need to sit on the bike and have someone else check your oil level sight window,,
its easy to hold throttle/brake with left hand over seat and drop down on left knee to get eyes down to sighting area.. if concerned about losing control first time, start with bike close to a wall on left..
also practice hopping off to the right side :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks you guys for the words of comfort and reassurance. I worked myself up into a negative mind state and even lost my appetite as I was doing so much worrying. I probably need to start seeing a psychologist because I have a tendency to worry WAY TOO MUCH and I feel there is always a tragedy or catastrophe around every corner and that the worst case scenario is eminent

I really gotta snap out of this pessimism, I am torturing myself for no reason

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just wanted to update this thread, I did an oil change (myself) in January 7th and the leak has completely stopped.

I used a brand new gasket, crush washer and filter (All Honda OEM).

This was my first oil change since I bought the bike used (It had 1900 miles when i bought it). Now has 3300 miles

Maybe I should have bought a magnetic bolt but I forgot about that.

I have fumoto valve on my car but Im not going to bother with that on the CB300F

I now wonder what it was that was causing the leak? We may never know but the good news is that its fixed now

·
Registered
358 Posts
Could well have been a poorly fitted gasket on the previous oil change. Had this been a British bike from the 50s or 60s that oil leak would have been no more than routine.:laugh: It was standard practice to have a drip tray underneath.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could well have been a poorly fitted gasket on the previous oil change. Had this been a British bike from the 50s or 60s that oil leak would have been no more than routine.:laugh: It was standard practice to have a drip tray underneath.
If you had to narrow it down between the gasket or the crush washer, which of the 2 do you think is to blame? Based on the pcitures of the leak in the first post

·
Super Moderator
3,002 Posts
If you had to narrow it down between the gasket or the crush washer, which of the 2 do you think is to blame? Based on the pcitures of the leak in the first post
Clearly it would be the oil filter gasket, as it is on the same right hand side as your oil leak from the pic's on the opening post. Oil drain plug/crush washer is located nearer to the left side of the bike, so a leak from the drain plug would not show up on the right side of the bike.

Reactions: CDNHONDAR

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Clearly it would be the oil filter gasket, as it is on the same right hand side as your oil leak from the pic's on the opening post. Oil drain plug/crush washer is located nearer to the left side of the bike, so a leak from the drain plug would not show up on the right side of the bike.
Thanks Mike,

I agree with your detective skills. Yes i think we can "close this case". Like the television show CSI

:D heh-heh

Im glad its not the weeper hole because that would have driven my OCD crazy.

·
Registered
358 Posts
If you clean the area round the oil filter, using a cleaning solution such as alcohol to ensure it is really clean of oil, when it occurs again you should see a line of oil where it runs down and you will be able to see where it starts. It does seem a little too far forward for the oil filter area though. When you are riding the wind can make the oil trace move and make it a bit difficult to deduce where it starts. Keep us informed, please. It may help another member in the future.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you clean the area round the oil filter, using a cleaning solution such as alcohol to ensure it is really clean of oil, when it occurs again you should see a line of oil where it runs down and you will be able to see where it starts. It does seem a little too far forward for the oil filter area though. When you are riding the wind can make the oil trace move and make it a bit difficult to deduce where it starts. Keep us informed, please. It may help another member in the future.
Thank you, I will follow your advice and clean the area with alcohol

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
mate, on 'worrying' and suchlike,, bear in mind that worrying is just normal response to something of concern, yet the dial in your mind has been turned up to far... like nice soothing music when over amplified, something normal and good even therapeutic, can become unpleasant and even unhealthy or damaging.. ie, be concerned, or whatever it is.. just take charge of the dial
and dial it back a little.. nothing lost, but perhaps something gained..
in the moment and practically, simply stopping to take a nice slow deep breath inhalation, pausing, then letting it all out,
will and does have effects on built up tension.. worried people often, everywhere, respond to finding their fears not as bad as first thought, with a natural exhalation causing shoulder tension to release and muscles to relax..
even when you do this deliberately, like an exercise, brain will still respond with a relaxation response..
to encourage this, a simple walk then a nice shower [which releases negative ions] will have real and good effects..
at least allowing a better perspective to any problems floating around...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mate, on 'worrying' and suchlike,, bear in mind that worrying is just normal response to something of concern, yet the dial in your mind has been turned up to far... like nice soothing music when over amplified, something normal and good even therapeutic, can become unpleasant and even unhealthy or damaging.. ie, be concerned, or whatever it is.. just take charge of the dial
and dial it back a little.. nothing lost, but perhaps something gained..
in the moment and practically, simply stopping to take a nice slow deep breath inhalation, pausing, then letting it all out,
will and does have effects on built up tension.. worried people often, everywhere, respond to finding their fears not as bad as first thought, with a natural exhalation causing shoulder tension to release and muscles to relax..
even when you do this deliberately, like an exercise, brain will still respond with a relaxation response..
to encourage this, a simple walk then a nice shower [which releases negative ions] will have real and good effects..
at least allowing a better perspective to any problems floating around...
Thank you, I will give this technique a try next time. I def have a tendency to overreact

1 - 18 of 18 Posts