Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
So I had this bike for a year before I noticed this huge gap which led me to think that I had dropped a gasket. Searching around, I just learned that there is no external gasket on the fuel cap of the CBR250r, but this gap is so wide that debris is able to enter into the fuel tank and into the vent hole. What do?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
dont worry, the sealing element is around the raised
inner opening to the tank, with the seal inside
the tank cap itself..
open it and see where the seal is..
water and dust etc, which can get thru
tiny openings - bikes are ridden in the rain
and otherwise may sit in the rain for hours -
so this cap allows water/fuel spill/dust etc
to go down around the sides, into that
gutter around the raised opening,
and down the hole and away..

this also takes care of petrol containing ethanol
which damages paint from spilling onto
your tanks paintwork..

having a spring loaded seal together with
room for the cap to move a bit when closing
allows for an effective seal in or out..

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Hey guys!
So I had this bike for a year before I noticed this huge gap which led me to think that I had dropped a gasket. Searching around, I just learned that there is no external gasket on the fuel cap of the CBR250r, but this gap is so wide that debris is able to enter into the fuel tank and into the vent hole. What do?
Just dampen a soft cloth with water and wipe the dust & debris from the recessed area around the filler hole. As shisoshin said, it's normal to see some dust in that area, particularly if you're regularly parking your bike outside and uncovered.

·
Registered
172 Posts
just as motomike suggests, keep it clean! i recommend getting a tarp if storing it outside assuming that you are leaving it outside, i don't know where you're located, but if you're from canada, check out canadian tire, they're very cheap and great quality

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
just as motomike suggests, keep it clean! i recommend getting a tarp if storing it outside assuming that you are leaving it outside, i don't know where you're located, but if you're from canada, check out canadian tire, they're very cheap and great quality
Thanks! Is there one you recommend from CDN Tire?

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
I wouldn't use some generic tarp. Get one of the covers made for motorcycles, which should have a soft lining to protect against scratches to the paint.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks! Is there one you recommend from CDN Tire?

this is the one i got, highly impressed, i dont see the point in spending large amounts of money on a tarp as its stored in my garage, and the fact that i do a lot of body work for myself, keep in mind that cbr300r/f aren't 20k motorcyles, and im sure this isnt going to be your last bike, if anything youll upgrade!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Thanks very much! Well do to the fact that I am almost 59 years young and at times my knee and my legs bother me,,,,I feel that this WILL probably be the last motorcycle I will buy. I have had faster bikes in my past but at this point in my life it is fast enough for me.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
this is the one i got, highly impressed, i dont see the point in spending large amounts of money on a tarp as its stored in my garage, and the fact that i do a lot of body work for myself, keep in mind that cbr300r/f aren't 20k motorcyles, and im sure this isnt going to be your last bike, if anything youll upgrade!
So what you've got is a proper motorcycle cover, not a tarp (as shown in your photo's). When you said 'tarp' in your previous post, most people think of one these...

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Thanks very much! Well do to the fact that I am almost 59 years young and at times my knee and my legs bother me,,,,I feel that this WILL probably be the last motorcycle I will buy. I have had faster bikes in my past but at this point in my life it is fast enough for me.
Did I miss a post somewhere along the way, that you finally got around to buying a CBR300R?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Just saying..When I DO buy one it will be a 300 R.

Reactions: MotoMike
1 - 12 of 12 Posts