Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just adjusted the preload to 4, going to try 5 tomorrow. The factory default is 2 and it was like riding a wet noodle. The difference is night and day.

I've been told that getting aftermarket springs would be a huge difference too. But what springs do I buy, and from where? Is this something I can install myself? Are these springs for front forks or rear suspension also? I know putting an R6 shock in would be a killer improvement but its beyond my capabilities.

It also seems that getting clip ons (vortex maybe?) would be a lot of help especially when cornering for getting my weight lower. The bars already near clip the fairings when I full lock, is this an issue? I've looked up some installation videos and it doesn't seem terribly difficult. I live in NZ though and I'm struggling to find somewhere I can order the right ones - and besides, I think they're out of my price range for this.

In before "lose weight", but I know that one already and this isn't a nutrition forum ;)

Cheers guys.

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
Howdy fellow Kiwi :giggle:

The front fork springs on the CB & CBR300 are woefully soft for someone of your weight. The stock spring rate is .49kg/mm where as you probably need something in the range of .80 - .90 kg/mm. Swapping them out is a straight forward job, the main piece of kit you need to make the job easy is a front stand that lifts from the bottom of the steering stem so the suspension is fully unloaded when you remove the fork caps. Hack way of doing it is ratchet strap over the rafters in your garage connected to a rope or sling under the steering head.
Racetech is the most common and easily purchased aftermarket spring used in NZ. They're made in the states and the local importer is Kiwi Suspension Solutions in New Plymouth. They're not cheap at around $300 a pair but nothing to do with suspension is, esp when it's a quality product. Link to KSS below:

The rear shock is a budget item and therefore not rebuildable. ie Can not be taken apart to have different springs fitted. The rest of the shock (valving/damping) is rubbish anyways so the best thing you can do by far is invest in an aftermarket rear shock. English company Nitron do a budget line of their quality shocks and have one for the CBR300. I think this would be your best buy available here. You'll see on the link they are listed at £385 but that doesn't include 20% VAT etc so expect the price here in NZD to be about $900-$1000. That may sound expensive to you but as far as aftermarket shocks go it's not. I've got an Ohlins shock on my race bike worth $2500. Funnily enough KSS are the agents for Nitron as well. No, I'm not a mate of the owner lol.

I had Vortex clip ons on my CBR and really liked them plus they are a quality item made in the States. You can buy chinese cheapies off Ebay but I have no experience with them. I buy my Vortex bars off Race Supplies in Dunedin. The owner Kevin is a really good dude. 37mm is the tube diameter of the CBR forks. They're $239 on his website:

I'll tack on a couple of pics of the bars on my bike...

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2015 CBR300R
10 Posts
I wondered the same when I began riding the 300, I'm 6'4" and 185pds. After I set my rear preload to 4, I was at a loss for ideas. I'm always mindful of weight, tire pressure, and body positioning. Your best bet is focusing on refining your riding ability, cutting weight, and adding comfort. A bubble windscreen makes a difference for us tall guys, and I installed these vans/cult waffle grips that have a BANGIN palm swell that feels like a cloud and look really fine. I removed my bar weights and ends to accommodate the grips which took off serious pounds. I also got the luimoto seat cover with gold gel and it's a gamechanger as far as comfort. You can get rearsets to control where your feet sit. You can swap the muffler which weighs in around 16 pounds, remove the cat converter, change the battery for lithum ion which is lighter, reduce unsprung weight with an aluminum rear sprocket, and take off your mirrors if your willing to accept the risk. Riding with less fuel will reduce weight also. So will a fender eliminator, flush mount signals with integrated taillight, removing your passenger pegs and grab bars (though you will need to buy or rig an exhaust hanger), you can get a lighter kickstand, lighter wheels, even remove your front and rear lower fender, and tool kit, if your truly ultralight. The passenger seat can also be swapped for a lighter cowl. These things aren't all great ideas, but they will cut weight. So will what your wearing, eating, and what's in your pockets.

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
I wondered the same when I began riding the 300, I'm 6'4" and 185pds. After I set my rear preload to 4, I was at a loss for ideas. I'm always mindful of weight, tire pressure, and body positioning. Your best bet is focusing on refining your riding ability, cutting weight, and adding comfort. A bubble windscreen makes a difference for us tall guys, and I installed these vans/cult waffle grips that have a BANGIN palm swell that feels like a cloud and look really fine. I removed my bar weights and ends to accommodate the grips which took off serious pounds. I also got the luimoto seat cover with gold gel and it's a gamechanger as far as comfort. You can get rearsets to control where your feet sit. You can swap the muffler which weighs in around 16 pounds, remove the cat converter, change the battery for lithum ion which is lighter, reduce unsprung weight with an aluminum rear sprocket, and take off your mirrors if your willing to accept the risk. Riding with less fuel will reduce weight also. So will a fender eliminator, flush mount signals with integrated taillight, removing your passenger pegs and grab bars (though you will need to buy or rig an exhaust hanger), you can get a lighter kickstand, lighter wheels, even remove your front and rear lower fender, and tool kit, if your truly ultralight. The passenger seat can also be swapped for a lighter cowl. These things aren't all great ideas, but they will cut weight. So will what your wearing, eating, and what's in your pockets.
Sounds like you have been reading my old weight loss thread or we just have same ideas lol :LOL:

·
Registered
2015 CBR300R
10 Posts
Sounds like you have been reading my old weight loss thread or we just have same ideas lol :LOL:
I really wish I saw that as a begining rider, quality content.

·
Super Moderator
3,001 Posts
So I just adjusted the preload to 4, going to try 5 tomorrow. The factory default is 2 and it was like riding a wet noodle. The difference is night and day.

I've been told that getting aftermarket springs would be a huge difference too. But what springs do I buy, and from where? Is this something I can install myself? Are these springs for front forks or rear suspension also? I know putting an R6 shock in would be a killer improvement but its beyond my capabilities.

It also seems that getting clip ons (vortex maybe?) would be a lot of help especially when cornering for getting my weight lower. The bars already near clip the fairings when I full lock, is this an issue? I've looked up some installation videos and it doesn't seem terribly difficult. I live in NZ though and I'm struggling to find somewhere I can order the right ones - and besides, I think they're out of my price range for this.

In before "lose weight", but I know that one already and this isn't a nutrition forum ;)

Cheers guys.
I know you don't want to hear this, but your a very big guy at 6' 5" & 140 kg (308 lbs.) for a small bike like a CBR300R. Honestly, even a rider weighing in at 230 lbs. is pushing the performance limits of a bike in this class. It simply doesn't have enough HP & Torque to carry that much weight. Something like a CBR650R would have not only adequate HP & Torque, but also an appropriate suspension.

·
Registered
2015 CBR300R
10 Posts
I know you don't want to hear this, but your a very big guy at 6' 5" & 140 kg (308 lbs.) for a small bike like a CBR300R. Honestly, even a rider weighing in at 230 lbs. is pushing the performance limits of a bike in this class. It simply doesn't have enough HP & Torque to carry that much weight. Something like a CBR650R would have not only adequate HP & Torque, but also an appropriate suspension.
MotoMike is right, I did not realise the weight conversion was placing you at 308pds. I'd kick that preload to 5 and make sure your tires are at the correct psi for your weight.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I know the jest of this post, but having this bike for a year, I will say this bike as is offers a lot. I will say that it offers close to the same handling feeling (but more maneuverable)as my CBR600F1. That was the best bike I had had prior.
Personally, I would push this bike to its limit, and then “upgrade”. This little 300 will teach you a lot. As I have said many times, I am on the downslope of the cc hill, but for this bike, I’ll order drop pegs and anything else to keep riding it. It’s utilitarian when my wife and I wanna ride two up, and a blast when I want to drag my newly lowered pegs.
(I’m 6’-3”, 220 lbs)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts