Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys - i did it. I rebuilt my motor after replacing the cylinder and piston, installed it back on the bike, reinstalled the rest of the stuff (airbox, throttle body, fuel tank, seats, and all the little connections), filled up the oil and coolant........and my bike started right up!!!
:D:D:D
I did have to go back and watch several parts of my videos to figure out how things were supposed to go back together, but everything totally worked - no leaks, no clacking sound, smooth shifting, and no leftover parts or fasteners! I havent even put the plastics back on, partially because Im in a euphoric state of shock.

Thank you so much to everyone that has provided comments, feedback, and encouragement on my video project. Looking forward to editing together the "rebuild the engine" vid and after that a "reassemble the bike" vid...but for now, i just wanted to share my sense of triumph here.

Feels good.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
It’s amazing how much you forget isn’t it? I’m rebuilding a VF750. Even with the pics I took, I’ve had to watch several videos when putting er back together. At least you have the advantage of not watching the dadgum ads :)

Congratulations btw....and I enjoy your videos.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is fantastic news, Lightningfrog.

I look forward to a YouTube video of you out on a ride now and maybe you can do a "review" on YouTube of the bike
haha...i might try that someday, but for now, i dont have a gopro, so filming while riding may be tricky.

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
Well done chap, you beat it. So did you pin point what the issue was in the end? I got a crap memory, you probably posted this previously...

I remember when I completed my first engine rebuild back in the early nineties. I had zero faith that the thing would even start let alone run properly. But it did both and, like yourself, I felt hugely satisfied. Esp as there was no YouTube back then!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well done chap, you beat it. So did you pin point what the issue was in the end? I got a crap memory, you probably posted this previously...

I remember when I completed my first engine rebuild back in the early nineties. I had zero faith that the thing would even start let alone run properly. But it did both and, like yourself, I felt hugely satisfied. Esp as there was no YouTube back then!
With any luck, I'll be the last person to attempt this repair out without youtube :D

Anyhow, it looks like piston slap was making the noise, and the piston slap was probably brought about by insufficient lubrication....prior owner probably wasnt adequately vigilant about checking the oil. Actually, my cylinder and piston look like Kyle Claisse's probably did sometime before his engine ground to a halt.
Thread: https://www.cbr300forum.com/forum/new-member-introductions/26792-brand-new-rider.html
Kyles "advanced damage" piston: https://imgur.com/a/Rd3ZRGo
Kyles "advanced damage" cylinder: https://imgur.com/a/xwXPoPi

My damaged piston and cylinder pics are attached. When the two are installed together and flush at the top, you can see a pretty significant gap on the inlet side when you look at it from underneath...pics of that are also attached. Not sure when or how the clacking sound was noticed, but that's how the bike found it's way to craigslist and into my garage.

And yes, i did a video about piston slap - what it is and what causes it :D

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great videos, great posts. Thanks for all of the useful information. I think I’m having the same issue with my 300 motor. Probably going to use your yt guide coupled with my service manual for disassembly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts