Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2015 cbr300r
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im on my second motor the first one died on after 78000km So im not mad at that but me second one died on me after just 5000km and it was the exact same thing riding on the highway i lost all power and the bikes rear wheel locked up for a couple of seconds i pulled off the road i tried to restart it and it took 3 or 4 go's to get it started but it had a ticking sound so got home and took the old motor apart and noticed scoring on the sylinder Its pretty nasty in there. I can see alot of blueing from heat on the conrod and big end bearing. Just don't know why would happen
5000km
78000km

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
Soundslike a partial seizure from the engine running hot or loss of lubrication. Do you check oil level regularly?
78k is a pretty good run out of a 286cc single, esp if run hard on the motorway?

·
Registered
2015 cbr300r
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeh mate i check it regularly i was happy with 78k on the first motor it was running strong never missed a beat until it went on me but the same problem with the second one got me mad only having 5k on it and has done the same thing I think im just angry at the fact that one lasted 4 years and one only 4 months

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
We haven’t seen this kind of issue on here a lot and I’ve been on here nearly six years. They are a fairly bullet proof engine normally. Rotten luck to get it twice. Just curious what sort of oil you use?
Also, without wanting to insult your intelligence lol, you didn’t put the oil filter in the wrong way round? It’s happened on here more than once...

·
Registered
2015 cbr300r
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was the second place I looked but it will only go on one way. And I use motul 10w40 which is what the bloke at the workshop told me to use i think it might just be hard luck it just sucks do you know a website so I can look at parts parts and prices?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Was the second engine used or brand-new? It is certainly unusual. Also make sure not to overfill the oil, measure out 1.6 Quarts exactly and ensure that you install the oil filter with the rubber butt-hole POINTING at the bike.

Rip the top off of a pizza box and place that under the Moto and this will warn you of any leaking fluids. Thats a good idea for all of us to do.

·
Registered
2015 cbr300r
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Second engine was used i got it at around 1500km on it off a totalled bike it only had bent forks and a cracked head stem

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
I've never had to buy parts apart from a fairing panel so not sure where best to get then down under. Probably genuine Honda as parts for these things are made in Thailand and generally cheap.

·
Registered
2015 cbr300r
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok guys I just got a price for a top and bottom rebuild $1,750 AU to me it sounds i little expensive what do you guys think. Genuine honda parts

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
Ok guys I just got a price for a top and bottom rebuild $1,750 AU to me it sounds i little expensive what do you guys think. Genuine honda parts
Yep, pricey. Not sure how handy you are but I would try and source a going motor from a wrecker. What did you pay for your second engine?

·
Registered
2015 cbr300r
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, pricey. Not sure how handy you are but I would try and source a going motor from a wrecker. What did you pay for your second engine?

I paid $1000 but some wreckers what $1,200 but I already have it in the shop im about $600 out of pocket if he stops working on it so I might as well spend the extra $1,150 so it almost a new motor lol

All so thats with all genuine honda parts

Cylinder
Piston
Crankshaft
Bearings
Timing chain
Gaskets/seals etc

·
Registered
2015 cbr300r
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Soundslike a partial seizure from the engine running hot or loss of lubrication. Do you check oil level regularly?
78k is a pretty good run out of a 286cc single, esp if run hard on the motorway?

Haha yeh mate i ride to and from work and 99% of the ride is on the highway (motorway) lol and there is a 7k section were it is 110 kph so rpm sit around 7000 for a little bit most of the way is 100kph so around 6000rpm it's probably a bit hard on the poor girl.

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
I paid $1000 but some wreckers what $1,200 but I already have it in the shop im about $600 out of pocket if he stops working on it so I might as well spend the extra $1,150 so it almost a new motor lol

All so thats with all genuine honda parts

Cylinder
Piston
Crankshaft
Bearings
Timing chain
Gaskets/seals etc
Heck, you did a good job on it! All the major bits listed there.

Haha yeh mate i ride to and from work and 99% of the ride is on the highway (motorway) lol and there is a 7k section were it is 110 kph so rpm sit around 7000 for a little bit most of the way is 100kph so around 6000rpm it's probably a bit hard on the poor girl.
Sitting on 110 kph / 7K rpm is OK, they're built pretty tough. When I had my one I was riding with guys on bigger bikes and I used to run it at 8K rpm for extended periods with no dramas. I geared mine up a bit to reduce the revs. Pretty sure I was running 5,500rpm at 100 kph.

·
Registered
2015 cbr300r
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I might look into gearing
Heck, you did a good job on it! All the major bits listed there.

Sitting on 110 kph / 7K rpm is OK, they're built pretty tough. When I had my one I was riding with guys on bigger bikes and I used to run it at 8K rpm for extended periods with no dramas. I geared mine up a bit to reduce the revs. Pretty sure I was running 5,500rpm at 100 kph.
I might look into gearing

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
Do I change the back one or will i not need to?
Sorry bout slow response, we go to bed 2hrs before you guys lol.

I'd recommend just do the front sprocket first as its cheaply and easily done. If you feel the need for further reduction in cruising revs then you can drop 1or 2 teeth off the rear sprocket. 1 tooth doesn't make a huge amount of noticeable difference though, so I went two. Rear sprockets are more expensive.
You may already know this put rough rule of thumb is 1 tooth added to the front is about the same as dropping 3 teeth off the back sprocket.

·
Registered
2015 cbr300r
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry bout slow response, we go to bed 2hrs before you guys lol.

I'd recommend just do the front sprocket first as its cheaply and easily done. If you feel the need for further reduction in cruising revs then you can drop 1or 2 teeth off the rear sprocket. 1 tooth doesn't make a huge amount of noticeable difference though, so I went two. Rear sprockets are more expensive.
You may already know this put rough rule of thumb is 1 tooth added to the front is about the same as dropping 3 teeth off the back sprocket.
Thanks for the information I didn't know about 1 on the front = about 3 off the back 👍

·
Registered
358 Posts
The engine should be happy at the use it got. 15T front makes a good difference. Just a long shot but did it have the recall done for the oilways?

·
Registered
2015 cbr300r
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The engine should be happy at the use it got. 15T front makes a good difference. Just a long shot but did it have the recall done for the oilways?
No i have not herd of a recall for the oil ways

1 - 20 of 22 Posts