Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there a way to increase top speed on the CBR300R/CB300F?

I know putting a 15t front sprocket and a 34t rear, will bring the engine right in the powerband at top speed, so a few MPHs are gained.

What other thing could really lead to top speed improvements?
I know the bike is fuel injected, so playing with carburetor settings won't work, but perhaps some other Air/fuel tuning can be done?

I heard that the air intake is pretty unrestricted; meaning not a lot can be gained from installing a freeflow intake...

Some people do the tail fender mod, which might (or might not) add 0.5MPH.

I'm thinking, if I can only increase top speed on the F to an actual 95MPH GPS verified, I might actually like the bike!

Anything else?

·
Registered
353 Posts
if you're worried about top speed, buy a bigger bike. These bikes aren't made for top speed runs on straight roads, they are for commuting and twisty roads.

·
Banned
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've already looked at all my options, including second hand.
Anyway, I just want to know if someone has tried tuning the bike, and getting a bit more out of it than stock...?

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
And if you do run these otherwise fuel efficient bikes out to top speed for extended periods, you can expect MPG's to drop significantly.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The extra power from an exhaust and tune won't give you stuff all extra top end speed, nowhere near keeping with a r3 down the 1/4. The $/hp on a small engine is really terrible too.

If you want power and are set on a low revving single cylinder bike, look into a GT06-32SZ and a retune with 6psi crammed down it's throat.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Maybe you've explained somewhere else MeeLee, but why are you spending so much time worrying about the limitations of a bike you will probably never buy? You seem to come up with more reasons NOT to buy the 300 every day, so why even think about mods?

·
Banned
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe you've explained somewhere else MeeLee, but why are you spending so much time worrying about the limitations of a bike you will probably never buy? You seem to come up with more reasons NOT to buy the 300 every day, so why even think about mods?
I'm wondering why I shouldn't?

I liked the CB300F's seating position, and it's got the right power I want. Just not the top speed, and not the color scheme.
So I'm trying to figure out if anything could be done to improve performance...

I'm itching to buy a new bike; but have to wait for after taxes.
I just gain knowledge by doing research.

At some point, I'll go through with the purchase.
I've had quite an amount of bikes in the past that weren't what I wanted. And I learned from each one of them.
Sufficient research can actually prevent you making mistakes, and help you orient to the right bike.

That being said, I'll shoot myself in the leg, if Honda decides to release a CB305 with 299cc a few weeks after I buy this one :eek:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts

I liked the CB300F's seating position, and it's got the right power I want. Just not the top speed, and not the color scheme.

I've had quite an amount of bikes in the past that weren't what I wanted. And I learned from each one of them.
Sufficient research can actually prevent you making mistakes, and help you orient to the right bike.

That being said, I'll shoot myself in the leg, if Honda decides to release a CB305 with 299cc a few weeks after I buy this one :eek:
Paralysis by analysis. There is no such thing as the perfect bike, especially with limited funds, so worrying about mods at this stage is pointless and futile. If top speed is important enough that you're prepared to bugger around with exhausts, fuel mapping, air filters, gearing and aerodynamics, you are DEFINITELY looking at the wrong bike.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Mate, I'm sure your just stringing us along here. Probably sittin back with a bourbon down there in Southern Florida laughin your c.o.c.k off.

I know Laurie thinks I pick on you but this really is just the same old stuff dressed up in a different set of clothes every few days.
Either that or you've decided to make a life time hobby out of motorcycle pre-purchase analysis.

However... if you genuinely are concerned about top speed capability then may I suggest the Suzuki Hayabusa to you :laugh:

·
Banned
1,070 Posts

Why not go for a cbr600, not sure how long you would last before a trip to A&E though. Loads of second hand ones on ebay for sale.
I will stick to my stock bike as it was designed with the exception of adding a fender extender, clear petrol tank protector and a radiator protector. It does everything it says on the tin. If you want a faster bike - Go and Buy One.

Reactions: Ruben

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Mate, I'm sure your just stringing us along here. Probably sittin back with a bourbon down there in Southern Florida laughin your c.o.c.k off.

I know Laurie thinks I pick on you but this really is just the same old $hit dressed up in a different set of clothes every few days.
Either that or you've decided to make a life time hobby out of motorcycle pre-purchase analysis.

However... if you genuinely are concerned about top speed capability then may I suggest the Suzuki Hayabusa to you :laugh:
Yes Kiwi..but a number of people "pick" on MeeLee you are correct..the same stuff in different clothes. Honestly it is getting a bit frustrating especially with all the advice/thoughts/opinions expressed here in a positive note to help MeeLee with his dilemma...mind you self inflected dilemma at that.

MeeLee....I feel that you are looking for a guaranteed list of parameters (that is sure fire parts/conditions ) that will enable the 300 F to get to 95 MPH every time in every situation that you may ride it. With the 300 F this is NOT going to happen because..1-- the bike is not aerodynamically efficient....2-- the bike does not have enough power and all the $$ spent of go fast parts might gain you 2 HP total which will not be enough the over come the air resistance at upper 90's MPH ... 3-- to many variables in wind velocity/ road terrain / air pressure / tire pressure (air temp effects this) to make it possible.

So save some $$ and look at the Yamaha R3 (42 HP) and remove the "clip-ons" and install risers/and bars. Some where some one I am sure has done this.

I looked at the Yamaha R3 also. I rode one and I really liked it. But I bought the 300 R...why? Over $1000 less (total) out the door.....300 R has ABS. Yamaha R 3 (2015/16) does not. Fuel mileage...300 R is much better.

·
Banned
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wish things were that easy.
If I had $5k in my savings I wouldn't spend so much time trying to figure out so many things.

I've made bad purchases in the past. My GS cost me $2k, with an additional $1k on fixes and upgrades, until the oil seal broke.
It has been sitting in my yard since.
Lost a precious $2000 over the bike, which is now worth less than $1k (I have no time nor money to fix it).

It taught me what I would not want in a future bike.
It was my worst purchase ever!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Weren't you worried about mileage like 2 weeks ago? Now its top speed?

We can all appreciate you wanting a different motorcycle, so save your money and WHEN YOU HAVE ENOUGH then you can worry about which bike to purchase.

·
Banned
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All of it works together.

Just done some research, and it turns out my speedo on the Rebel was off by about 7MPH.
That means it did about 80MPH GPS verified.

I'm glad, because that means that the CB300F will have a slight improvement on that.
Even if the CB300F's speedo is off by 10%, when displaying 90MPH, it will still be faster than my Rebel.

If this is the case, I might go for an F in April!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
.....If this is the case, I might go for an F in April!
Hold the presses! Call the newsroom! Make a note in your diaries!

MeeLee could possibly buy a CB3F at some point, subject to a thousand posts, emails and visits to dealers, hundreds of hours research, Honda's personal guarantee that he will like it and getting enough taxes back.

Or maybe not. Or maybe a different bike altogether. Or he'll get bored with bugging the c.r.a.p. out of us.

Can't wait :rolleyes:

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Registered
353 Posts
in all seriousness, i think you should get a 2nd hand drz400sm.

upright riding position
100mph bike
weapon on the twisties

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
The drz400sm is a very nice bike indeed!
Especially the more modern bikes!

Finding one under $5k is a little harder.

I think I've finally set my sights on a CB300F; now saving up for it...
Now that is good to hear and good news period....Now don't talk your self out of it by second guessing ...or to much thinking.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
I think I've finally set my sights on a CB300F; now saving up for it...
Phew! thank god, well done MeeLee :D

I've never heard of a decision being made based on speedo error before but hey, it doesn't matter, you have a result.
I wasn't aware of your financial predicament so apologies for my earlier forwardness.
Now, I think I need a little lie down after all that :laugh:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts