Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I made this radiator guard for my CBR250R...

Vehicle Automotive lighting Headlamp Motor vehicle Light

Attached at the corners with stainless steel safety wire...
Auto part Vehicle Car Carbon Engine

Cost was less than $3 USD at Home Depot for a 36" long piece of galvanized rain gutter screen, which was already the perfect height to fit the CBR's radiator. It took less than 30 minutes to cut the screen, bend the upper and lower edges to fit onto the radiator frame, and safety wire it in place.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Dang, DIY Bob Villa over here haha. That's very imaginative and resourceful! Now next step; can you paint that a color to compliment or match a bike!?
Not sure what you might have to do to prep galvanized steel for paint, but I imagine it can be done.

I'm not one for painting a bunch of stuff on my bikes. I much prefer the look of a stock motorcycle.

Here's another pic of my 2012 CBR250R...
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Car Motorcycle fairing

Reactions: jmerod58

·
Registered
352 Posts
Not sure what you might have to do to prep galvanized steel for paint, but I imagine it can be done.

I'm not one for painting a bunch of stuff on my bikes. I much prefer the look of a stock motorcycle.
Im with ya MotoMike. Ive never been the kind of guy to take my cars too far beyond stock, visually anyway, as I like the clean look. Which depends on the ride too. So im probably going to continue that mindset onto my bike(s).
Your bike looks good man...

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bumped to the top... for those who might be interested in this (and didn't see it last year when it was first posted).

Reactions: CDNHONDAR

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Bumped to the top... for those who might be interested in this (and didn't see it last year when it was first posted).
It's funny I never saw the original post, but I did the same exact thing. Only I got the black rain gutter guard. Measured and snipped it with some tin snips and attached it with some metal zip ties.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Awesome, easy and cheap! Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: MotoMike

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks Mike! Great timing on reviving this, I had just been thinking about protection for the radiator. A local group of guys I know just went on a weekend ride and two of them ended up with rocks through theirs. Looks like it's time to make a trip to the store.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hey,
Here is my attempt, got bored this morning so dropped wife off and grabbed some ss wire mesh for a few quid, I was going to use the ally stretched mesh but it was very flat and i didnt want to reduce airflow. I cut it to shape and just zip tied it on to the raised section at the ends of the rad, this gives a good 15mm clearance to the fins and should not reduce airflow and still be easy to clean.
How it lasts or goes is any ones guess.

Mark

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Hey,
Here is my attempt, got bored this morning so dropped wife off and grabbed some ss wire mesh for a few quid, I was going to use the ally stretched mesh but it was very flat and i didnt want to reduce airflow. I cut it to shape and just zip tied it on to the raised section at the ends of the rad, this gives a good 15mm clearance to the fins and should not reduce airflow and still be easy to clean.

Mark
Looks like a neat job Mark, it's gotta help.

·
Registered
401 Posts
They are 5mm apertures, the zip ties should be ok but I have ss ties in case not. With my stanchion protectors there is only a small area open to damage but I do have a few slightly bent fins (bugs most likely), hopefully it will provide some protection. I noticed it was slightly crooked so i straightened it, was thinking of a rubber trim but it looks better than the images show.

Mark

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They are 5mm apertures, the zip ties should be ok but I have ss ties in case not. With my stanchion protectors there is only a small area open to damage but I do have a few slightly bent fins (bugs most likely), hopefully it will provide some protection. I noticed it was slightly crooked so i straightened it, was thinking of a rubber trim but it looks better than the images show.

Mark
I've found that (aside from the protection from potential rock damage to the radiator), these simple DIY rain gutter screens also do a good job of preventing insect impacts from bending and clogging up the radiator cooling fins. I've noticed that my radiator fins still look like they did the day I bought the bike.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I made this radiator guard for my CBR250R...

[iurl="http://www.cbr300forum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2105&d=1417726441"]
[/iurl]

Attached at the corners with stainless steel safety wire...
[iurl="http://www.cbr300forum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2113&d=1417726441"]
[/iurl]

Cost was less than $3 USD at Home Depot for a 36" long piece of galvanized rain gutter screen, which was already the perfect height to fit the CBR's radiator. It took less than 30 minutes to cut the screen, bend the upper and lower edges to fit onto the radiator frame, and safety wire it in place.

Hi Mike, you've saved me some serious $$$. If you ever come to Chicago I'll buy you a beer.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
$22???? You get all the great deals!...:)

Reactions: mikal

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
Hey,

Mark
This is the stainless steel one I got to fit on my bike.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts