Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Insurance charge such unbelievably high rates they could be termed as predators. I have Progressive, within two years I will have paid enough to purchase another Honda CB300f. Needles to say I'm looking for cheaper insurance. These morons said because it is a sport bike. A sport bike? It's a 300cc single cylinder thumper. Hardly on the same level as 600cc crotch rockets. C'mon man it's only a 300.. Can everybody chimein on their experience with the insurance wolves.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It varies quite a bit from state to state (or province for Canada). Is this your first motorcycle? They tend to have quite high insurance costs. They are seen as pretty dangerous by insurance companies.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here are my rates from Progressive on a CBR300R:

Mid 20s, Male, Washington, clean record

Liability: 100,000/300,000 50,000 property ($76)
Uninsured Motorist: 25,000/50,000 ($75)
Uninsured Property Damage: 10,000 ($10)
Comprehensive: Total Loss, 100 deductible ($42)
Collision: Total Loss, 500 deductible ($201)

Total: $404 for 12 months

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was actually pleasantly surprised by the rates I was given for my CB300F from State Farm. It's less than half of what I was paying for my 2014 Honda Grom, which is only 125cc.

Liability: $100,000/$300,000/$50,000 each accident ($20.72)
Uninsured Motor Vehicle: $100,000/$300,000/$50,000 ($98.50)
Other Than Collision, Deductible $250 ($27.33)
Collision, Deductible $500 ($61.46)

Total Premium: $208.01 per year

Keep in mind that there are SOOOO many factors that affect your rates (age, riding experience, state, credit score), that it's almost impossible to compare apples to apples, from one rider to another, even with the same, exact bike.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have Progressive and pay $375.75 for a yr. I just got back into riding and bought the cb300f. I'm 48 yrs, took the MSF w/ clean record in LA. If anything, age and clean records is a major factor.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I've been reviewing and researching insurance options more as of late. From what I've researched (on cbr250.net HERE and elsewhere), I'm paying more than I should be. $72 - $73 per month for the max full coverage from Farmer's with multi policy / MSF, etc. I'm paying month to month for the time being.

I'm considering switching over after the end of this second month... Or maybe reducing the coverage since it has some extras that feel unnecessary. Don't know yet, still studying the options.

·
Registered
4 Posts
75/month isnt unheard of. As part of the deal with my parents when i bought the bike was maximum coverage for everything. I paid 1554 for the year including the discount for paying all at once.

I do have an at fault accident from last year in my car that was not claimed.

·
Registered
140 Posts
You gotta pay to insure anything........for a 300R or F is a steal as far transportation as far as I'm concerned.

·
Premium Member
5,514 Posts
I never get full insurance for my motorcycles as they are an 'extra' i can afford to go without if need be. Bike theft is pretty rare where I live. Naturally I have third party cover tho encase I prang into that Merc and it is my fault. Here in NZ that cover costs me a whole $57NZD annually which is about $40USD. Cheap.

Reactions: Fanatic

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thru State Farm I pay $265 a yr. ($22/month) I also bundle with my house and car, so that helps. It was the lowest compared to other places due to the bundle. I had an agent do some price comparisons for me. Im happy, considering I cant ride 2-4 months out of the year :(

·
Registered
96 Posts
cycle insurance

This for State Farm & bundled except for the house

I sold a 2009 Suzuki TU250X insurance cost was $22.00 per month,

I purchased a Honda CB300F insurance cost is $28.00 per month

I can handle $6.00 more per month for a new bike, very reasonable cost for what to me is intended to be an alternate bike

this was about mid Dec 2014 when I was first considering the CB300F & I checked on the insurance pricing then & State Farm at that time did not have the CB300F in their books, so the price I was quoted was basically for a sportbike which was in the mid $50.00's range, or about what the Bonnie costs for insurance which is low $50.00's, this is one of the reasons I just delayed the CB300F purchase until spring, bad time of the year to try to sell the Suzuki, let the insurance industry catch up with the new models, was mid winter here so I was in no hurry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Insurance

I paid $300.11 for a year with Allstate. That's for full collision/comprehensive and gear replacement. And I'm only 20 yrs old...

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Full coverage is definitely the wise and safe way to go with on motorcycles, however I decided to opt for the bare minimum liability coverage for $77 dollars on the year. I was initially paying that same amount on a monthly basis for full coverage from Foremost / Farmer's, but then made the switch to Progressive since I heard a lot of good things about them when it came to insuring bikes. They were a bit over $500 for full coverage on the year. I'm 29 and have a good driving history, especially the last few years (knock on wood).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just switched from Riders (jumped my FZ-09 rate 250% from last year) and went with Dairyland covering my '14 FZ-09 and '15 CB300F (both full coverage) for $425 a year.

·
Registered
21 Posts
These are my limits and coverage with Geico. I care mostly about medical costs if I'm injured, so those are maxed out. I live in San Francisco, so Comprehensive is a must. Progressive & Esurance were $300 more annually for similar coverage.

Annual mileage: 3k
Body: 300/300
Property: 100
Uninsured: 100/300
Comprehensive: 500
$443.76 annually

·
Banned
777 Posts
Insurance charge such unbelievably high rates they could be termed as predators. I have Progressive, within two years I will have paid enough to purchase another Honda CB300f. Needles to say I'm looking for cheaper insurance. These morons said because it is a sport bike. A sport bike? It's a 300cc single cylinder thumper. Hardly on the same level as 600cc crotch rockets. C'mon man it's only a 300.. Can everybody chimein on their experience with the insurance wolves.
Come and live in Florida, where insurance isn't necessary, and where a PIP only costs $75 a year, for bikes like this, covered upto $30k collateral, and personal I believe!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Wish I lived where you guys do, cheapest for me in Chicago is Allstate for about $550 a year haha

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have statefarm and only have liability. I'm in Alabama and it's my first bike at age 21. I pay $19/month or $228/yr. I love it!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Wow, I am getting screwed with a sandpaper wrapped two foot thick pole compared to you guys, I pay 120 a month through esurance.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts