Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I took out a Yamaha R3 for a ride during one of Yamaha's promotions. I really loved it as I have mentioned in another thread. However the Manager of the shop mentioned that the R 3 was more advanced than the CBR 300 R.:eek: Not having ridden a 300 R I questioned his thinking. He mentioned that the R 3 was a twin..the CBR 300 a single. So? How does that make the Yammie a more advanced bike I asked. The Honda has..liquid cooling...4 valve head...EFI...light weight chassis...2 disk brakes...6 speed trans..all the same as the R3.

It turned into quite a discussion..the man is a really good friend of mine and I objected to his "sales man" B.S. speech as how the R 3 is more Technically advanced than the CBR 300 R.

I said other than a different engine configuration (Twin vs Single) they are really similar....to which he disagreed.

So what say you guys..am I missing some thing here??

Thanks for all your thoughts...Laurie

·
Registered
236 Posts
There are a lot of threads about the R3 here that you can go to for more info, but personally I'm not sure I would even engage in the argument if either me or the other guy haven't ridden both bikes to be able to make the comparison.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good Point Sir...:)

·
Registered
419 Posts
I think what he means is that the R3 is a faster motorcycle capable of better lap-times at a track, hands-down. It is a slightly more aggressive riding position/geometry with a slightly more powerful engine. As far as technology is concerned, they are similar enough that I wouldn't call one "technically" more advanced than the other, though that seems to me would be a matter of opinion at that point. Besides.......who really cares what he thinks.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Just get the a$$ on the **** bike(s) and pick the one you prefer.

No argument... Period. :eek: :nerd: :laugh:

Reactions: CDNHONDAR

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
If you compare the spec sheets it's hard to come up with the statement 'more advanced'.
Motors aside they both have steel frames, non adjustable front suspension in conventional style, bias ply tyres etc etc... Neither have fancy electronics for adjusting this that and the next thing (thankfully!)
Do we smell salesman bullsh1t?? - Yes Siree :laugh:

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think what he means is that the R3 is a faster motorcycle capable of better lap-times at a track, hands-down. It is a slightly more aggressive riding position/geometry with a slightly more powerful engine. As far as technology is concerned, they are similar enough thatl I wouldn't call one "technically" more advanced than the other, though that seems to me would be a matter of opinion at that point. Besides.......who really cares what he thinks.
Thank you "BK" for what you said above ... I wouldn't call one "technically" more advanced than the other,

That was my point with the manager..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Last week I took out a Yamaha R3 for a ride during one of Yamaha's promotions. I really loved it as I have mentioned in another thread. However the Manager of the shop mentioned that the R 3 was more advanced than the CBR 300 R.:eek: Not having ridden a 300 R I questioned his thinking. He mentioned that the R 3 was a twin..the CBR 300 a single. So? How does that make the Yammie a more advanced bike I asked. The Honda has..liquid cooling...4 valve head...EFI...light weight chassis...2 disk brakes...6 speed trans..all the same as the R3.

It turned into quite a discussion..the man is a really good friend of mine and I objected to his "sales man" B.S. speech as how the R 3 is more Technically advanced than the CBR 300 R.

I said other than a different engine configuration (Twin vs Single) they are really similar....to which he disagreed.

So what say you guys..am I missing some thing here??

Thanks for all your thoughts...Laurie
I have a CBR300r and wish I got the R3, its just a lot more expensive here in thailand, the CBR is made here and is ultra cheap.

Its not a even a comparison, the r3 is a better bike.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I have a CBR300r and wish I got the R3, its just a lot more expensive here in thailand, the CBR is made here and is ultra cheap.

Its not a even a comparison, the r3 is a better bike.
"Better" is subjective. :nerd:

·
Registered
447 Posts
They are both good bikes. You can't go wrong with either. I traded my R3 in after a short time on a Gixxer 600 and kept my CB300F but that was mainly because I didn't need 2 blue bikes with a race bike look. Top speed with be a little more with the R3 but who rides over 90 mph except briefly or on the track? Acceleration is very similar. I would call the bikes essentially interchangeable. I mentioned 2 things I didn't like about my R3..1)all the R3s lean too far toward the kickstand and I kept a puck to keep under the kickstand when it was in my garage. 2)my R3, but not all of them, had a gear sound in 3rd and 4th...a kind of annoying resonance. The engine is a little smoother with the R3, but the sound is a little better on the stock CB300. I think the Ninja 300 is still slightly the best bike in the class. Plus it has a nice large gas tank to allow you to go farther plus a standard slipper clutch and ABS option, not available on the others and I think if you are talking about advanced, not having a slipper clutch or abs option relegates the Honda and Yamaha to 2nd and 3rd. Color choice is not to my liking with the Ninja this year.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is a Kawi dealer here in Nova Scotia that has a new 2014 Ninja 300SE in stock...just the color I love ..white. For 2015 Kawasaki does not make a Ninja 300 se ..BUT the dealer wants $250 more out the door than what I can get a new 2015 R 3 for...and he will not budge in his price. so I guess he will keep the bike a little longer...
Canadian Kawasaki Motors Inc.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
There is a Kawi dealer here in Nova Scotia that has a new 2014 Ninja 300SE in stock...just the color I love ..white. For 2015 Kawasaki does not make a Ninja 300 se ..BUT the dealer wants $250 more out the door than what I can get a new 2015 R 3 for...and he will not budge in his price. so I guess he will keep the bike a little longer...
Canadian Kawasaki Motors Inc.
Throw the GM a firm and fair offer to buy today and then shake hands and walk away if not accepted. Make sure the salesperson is there to witness so that he can try to convince the GM behind the scenes after you've walked away. ;)

Reactions: scotseam

·
Registered
447 Posts
Since I trade a lot of bikes, I don't have to work as hard usually since the dealers all know me. I offer a fair but low price and make sure they know that if they won't take it, I will buy it from some other dealer that same day. The last bike I bought...a Gixxer 600 with an R3 trade-in didn't go quite like usual. The dealer I expected to buy from called my $7,000 offer "unrealistic". I was sure to let him know I bought it from another dealer for that an hour after he turned down the business. It might be a little harder to deal when there is just one bike, but like Fanatic said you have to just walk away. I owned that same white Ninja, provided it has the decals and ABS, and loved it. If you do decide to get it, check for fairing gaps on the left and right between the black cowling and the top side fairings. All 3 of my Ninja 300s had fairing gaps. It's very common. At least mention it as a concern from the dealer cause you won't know they are there until you ride the bike a little. Someone can just squeeze them closed, but that just lasts a short time. I had a hard time getting my fairings fixed...took 3 all day trips back to the dealer cause it's not an easy fix.

When I bought my CB300f I did walk away. As soon as I reached for the door, some 3rd guy in charge of sales who I hadn't even seen prior to this stopped me and took my price. With a single bike like the white Ninja 300, I would make my low offer, walk away, then try again in a day or two for the same amount of money.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Holy smokes!:eek:
You had 3 Ninja 300's AND and a R 3 before the GSXR 600? WOW! Do you now own other bikes besides the CBR 300R??

Also curious..after the GXSR 600 why did you not do back to a Ninja 300R?

BTW great advice..Thanks!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
LoL. I used to be a salesperson at a car dealer for about a year and gained some experience, which I'm thankful for (or maybe not, lol).

It burned my heart each time a customer with commitment would simply try to walk away. I once lost a deal for only a $100 on a $40k+ vehicle when the customer and the sales manager BOTH would not budge. I was sandwiched in between begging for one to compromise! :crying:

Sorry for the thread jack... Remember, there is always a 2nd or 3rd guy watching from the glass door around the sales office (tower) and keeping an eye on the customer's next move and reaction - @AJ Nin :laugh:

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey its my thread..so it is "OK" to "Hi-Jack"..(LOL) I think it is really unfair for a salesman (salesperson?) to be in that situation....because the Manager gets paid no matter if the deal goes through or not. The poor sales person gets S.F.A. if the deal goes south and honestly there are times when the manager (in your case) does not give a rats **s..but to loose the deal over $100 is ridicules IMHO. Laurie

BTW I am trying out the 300R and the 300F this coming Saturday...:)

Reactions: Fanatic

·
Registered
225 Posts
The R3 doesn't have ABS as well. I'd say that's not so advanced

1 - 20 of 22 Posts