Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I believe the CB300 would work for him unless he decides to carry a passenger. The owners manual for the 300 lists the maximum load carrying capacity as around 300lbs. Two average size people are going to push that.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I believe the CB300 would work for him unless he decides to carry a passenger. The owners manual for the 300 lists the maximum load carrying capacity as around 300lbs. Two average size people are going to push that.
That depends entirely on one's definition of "Average Size People". I drove a semi-truck all over the US for over 20 years. In any given state and at any given Truck Stop's Sunday Buffet... the "Average Size" truck driver was already well above the CBR300's load carrying capacity of 300lbs. But they got their money's worth off the buffet. :D

·
Registered
358 Posts
I agree but we're talking 500 vr 300- the SV650 has a very good HP to LBS ratio and lets not the forget the Yamaha MT07 the king of the middle size bikes

·
Registered
61 Posts
A while ago just out of curiousity, I googled average American male and female weights and found out men are at 150 odd pounds and women are 135 or so pounds. I owned a 2014 CB500F, same year SFV650 Gladius and believe their weights are about the same but the Suzuki was about 15 hp stronger. Moving along over the next couple of years, I bought an FZ09 and my current bike an FZ07. The FZ07 is the WINNAH! 70hp and sub 400lb. weight can't be beat. The perfect bike for me would be a 350lb. 500cc Honda CB-F. But I guess that won't happen viewing Hondas recent revision of the CB500 line. Honda may be the big dog on the block but they should listen to their owners when making product changes.

·
Registered
380 Posts
You like the 07 that much more than the 09? I got to ride the MT09 at a demo day this year and it was something...

·
Premium Member
5,545 Posts
... and lets not the forget the Yamaha MT07 the king of the middle size bikes
... I bought an FZ09 and my current bike an FZ07. The FZ07 is the WINNAH! 70hp and sub 400lb. weight can't be beat.
Up until a couple of months ago I would have agreed with you both, but... I've ridden the MT/FZ-07 back to back against my Aprilia 660 and it is the new king. The only clincher is its pricey. The MT may no longer be the king but is still best bang for your buck.

You like the 07 that much more than the 09? I got to ride the MT09 at a demo day this year and it was something...
Must be a personal preference thing as I've ridden these two back to back and I preferred the lighter more nimble 07.
I found the three cylinder motor of the 09 a bit too smooth and lacking in character. It sure does go though!

Reactions: Zeke

·
Registered
61 Posts
my -09 was a 2016 and the throttle on it was really twitchy. Nothing that an experienced rider couldn't handle and the optional throttle settings helped out. However, it was a pain having to change setting on start up to the less evil throttle position. The bike defaulted to a more aggressive setting on shut down. The engine was very nice and I suspect that Yamaha has sorted out the throttle situation by now. I don't follow the FZ09 forum any longer so couldn't say. The suspension was pretty cushy and mostly to my liking since I'm an around town rider mostly. The exhaust note was nice too but not as good as a Triumph Striple. Loved the FZ09 popping on throttle closure while down shifting. The weight was in the CB500 and SV650 area so that was good. Right now, the FZ07 is really hard to beat factoring in its cost. Since I've satisfied my desire somewhat by owning a Brit bike, maybe sometime in the future I can swing an Italian sled.

·
Premium Member
5,545 Posts
my -09 was a 2016 and the throttle on it was really twitchy. Nothing that an experienced rider couldn't handle and the optional throttle settings helped out. However, it was a pain having to change setting on start up to the less evil throttle position. The bike defaulted to a more aggressive setting on shut down. The engine was very nice and I suspect that Yamaha has sorted out the throttle situation by now. I don't follow the FZ09 forum any longer so couldn't say. The suspension was pretty cushy and mostly to my liking since I'm an around town rider mostly. The exhaust note was nice too but not as good as a Triumph Striple. Loved the FZ09 popping on throttle closure while down shifting. The weight was in the CB500 and SV650 area so that was good. Right now, the FZ07 is really hard to beat factoring in its cost. Since I've satisfied my desire somewhat by owning a Brit bike, maybe sometime in the future I can swing an Italian sled.
My buddy has the 2016 model MT-09 like you had. Same issue with twitchy throttle response and poor suspension. I ride it in 'B' mode to make it less jerky. On my Aprilia I can change modes on the fly but on the MT you have to come to a stop and kill the engine which is really annoying as it defaults back to A mode every time you turn the bike off.
He spent $4K NZD installing Bitubo suspension front and rear and he modified the spring in some part of the throttle body that made it better but ultimately Yamaha have addressed these issues in the newer models.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey @kiwi rider, have you got much seat time on your Aprilia and what's your impression of that ride? Back when I owned the FZ09, there wasn't much out there in the throttle improvement and suspension modification area so lucky for me the FZ07 was released. I've had good luck modding the rear suspension of the -07 using an old-very old- Suzuki GSF1200 shock. This straight bolt on $50 EBay shock feels as good as the $500 Ktech Razor Lite that I also have. I'm a solo around town rider so fits me well. I'm hoping other members of this forum will post their suspension mods to these CB's.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts