Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to riding so could be my throttle control but my bike just seems really jerky in 1st gear. Is that normal. Also sometimes when downshifting the bike seems to really clunk into 1st gear (and grind sometimes) - is that too normal?

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts
Are you running stock gearing cos 1st gear is really low on this bike with stock gearing and that contributes to the jerkiness. I geared mine up and found 1st gear more agreeable.

Regarding the clunking and grinding: Could be because your clutch cable is not adjusted correctly and the clutch plates are not disengaging fully when you pull the clutch lever in. It's in the manual how to check and adjust.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you running stock gearing cos 1st gear is really low on this bike with stock gearing and that contributes to the jerkiness. I geared mine up and found 1st gear more agreeable.

Regarding the clunking and grinding: Could be because your clutch cable is not adjusted correctly and the clutch plates are not disengaging fully when you pull the clutch lever in. It's in the manual how to check and adjust.
Yeah stock gearing. I want to change front cog to bigger but don't you need to recalibrate speedo if you change the gearing? In stock gearing 1st gear is almost unusable.

Righto I'll check the manual re the clutch cable.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Throttle cable may also need adjustment... every new bike takes an initial "set" in its control cables after its first few hundred miles. As kiwi rider said, it's all covered in the Owners Manual.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Fitting a 15T front sprocket will make the bike so much better and smoother to ride. It should also make the speedo error much less.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Throttle cable may also need adjustment... every new bike takes an initial "set" in its control cables after its first few hundred miles. As kiwi rider said, it's all covered in the Owners Manual.
Perhaps. The bike's not new though. It's a 2015 model (had 4000Kms on clock when I got it). The throttle feels fine in terms of freeplay.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fitting a 15T front sprocket will make the bike so much better and smoother to ride. It should also make the speedo error much less.
Can a dealer recal the speedo if I change gearing? I really don't want to be 2nd guessing my speed on my Ls.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Can a dealer recal the speedo if I change gearing? I really don't want to be 2nd guessing my speed on my Ls.
There is a company called SpeedoDRD that makes a DIY devise to do that... about $100 USD. Easy install.

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts
Like Gromit said, fitting a 15T front sprocket actually improves the accuracy of the speedo as it removes some of the built in error that the bike has with stock gearing.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have stock gearing and I also experience the same jerkyness you speak of in first gear. That is just the design of the bike. I go right into 2nd gear at like 10 mph I think. First gear is pretty much useless on our bike. But you will get used to it if you go to empty Church parking lot and practice some low speed maneuvers such as driving in a figure 8. Start with wide circles and then try to make the circles smaller and smaller (more challenging).

Check out MotoJitsu Youtube Channel. He will give you many exercises to practice

·
Registered
311 Posts
Check throttle play, work on your throttle control, remember the clutch and rear brake are also crucial at slow speeds... And the 15T front sprocket will also help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have stock gearing and I also experience the same jerkyness you speak of in first gear. That is just the design of the bike. I go right into 2nd gear at like 10 mph I think. First gear is pretty much useless on our bike. But you will get used to it if you go to empty Church parking lot and practice some low speed maneuvers such as driving in a figure 8. Start with wide circles and then try to make the circles smaller and smaller (more challenging).

Check out MotoJitsu Youtube Channel. He will give you many exercises to practice
Yeah I've been checking out Motojitsu.

·
Registered
372 Posts
With the 15T front sprocket my indicated speed is 2 mph above speed given by Satnav. The 15T makes the whole riding much better (unless you are an acceleration freak).

·
Registered
67 Posts
The stock gearing is a terrible mistake by Honda imho. A 15T front sprocket makes the gearing make sense and works beautifully. I have no idea what Honda were thinking with the 14T. To save me writing it again, you can read what I wrote about it when I bought my first CB300F 2 years ago here: CB300F - A review of my surprisingly capable little bike

Two years later and I have just bought another one (a very nice 2015 with 17k km on the clock) to commute with. They really are a fantastic little bike. Enough speed to be fun in the twisties if you want it to be (with the right tyres), comfortable for my son to commute with me, and easy to install a box on for a bit of baggage. A sweet little machine :)

And... here's my weekend... another horn to put in parallel with the existing little beep beep, a 15T sprocket to sort the gearing, and new left hand switch controls to replace the bizarre Honda setup that causes me to press the horn far too often (different to all other manufacturers - very annoying to multi-bike owners Mr Honda Takaknobhead!). All in 1300 Thai Baht (about $40) and ready for Saturday morning fixing! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And... here's my weekend... another horn to put in parallel with the existing little beep beep, a 15T sprocket to sort the gearing, and new left hand switch controls to replace the bizarre Honda setup that causes me to press the horn far too often (different to all other manufacturers - very annoying to multi-bike owners Mr Honda Takaknobhead!). All in 1300 Thai Baht (about $40) and ready for Saturday morning fixing! :)

View attachment 34782
Yeees the horn button is such a stupid design. I'd love to change it - I really hate the blinker and horn controls. Are you fitting the new sprocket yourself?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Fitting the 15T is very simple. Just unbolt the primary drive cover, remove locking tab and you can get he sprocket off after undoing the rear wheel axle nut, loosening the adjucter nuts and pushing the wheel forward to slacken the chain. You will have to use a grinder to remove some of the metal chain guard on the front cover but that is easy enough. Unless you do this the chain will foul the guard. Good luck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yeees the horn button is such a stupid design. I'd love to change it - I really hate the blinker and horn controls. Are you fitting the new sprocket yourself?
Yes, I'll fit it all myself. None of it is rocket science, although matching up the wiring from my new CBR250R switchgear with that of the CB300F wiring might be fun! The sprocket is only slightly tricky due to the bit of grinding as mentioned by Gromit. That gasket is only there to protect the casing in case of the chain breaking, and some just remove it altogether. I'll grind mine, although chain breaking is highly unlikely really...

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Registered
53 Posts
Check your chain play to make sure you are in spec. On my CB1100 if it's not dialed in it will cause clunkiness on shifting, especially down into first.

And the switchgear being upside down is bizarre to me as well. It always makes for some inadvertent horn blowing when switching between my bikes. Absurd.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Check your chain play to make sure you are in spec. On my CB1100 if it's not dialed in it will cause clunkiness on shifting, especially down into first.

And the switchgear being upside down is bizarre to me as well. It always makes for some inadvertent horn blowing when switching between my bikes. Absurd.
I'm glad to see it isn't only me! I am going to document the switch to CBR250R switchgear this weekend and I will post it up in the forum :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts