Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just purchased a Honda CB300f and so far very happy. Running it in and have about 100 miles on it. Was looking around the bile today and noticed some blackish fluid/oil leaking a bit (dribble) from where the clutch leaver goes into the transmission. See pics.

Is this normal???

Thx!

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just had my 1000km service done and they replaced that seal under warranty because it was weeping. They said it was a common problem on the cbr250, and appears to be common on the cbr300 as well.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yes normal, covered many times on this site.Chain lube collects inside the front sprocket cover and dribbles down the metal plate inside the cover.After 100 miles your engine oil should not be black.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Was looking around the bile today and noticed some blackish fluid/oil leaking a bit (dribble) from where the clutch leaver goes into the transmission.
That's called the gear lever or shift pedal. The clutch cable pulls a lever on the upper right hand side of the engine casings.
Like snackjack said, its most likely excess chain lube accumulating in that area as it gets thrown off the front sprocket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx guys. Yeah meant the shifter (sorry)! Rookie, but not that much of a rookie! :)

Yeah, the chain lube makes sense after looking again last night. Will keep an eye on it. Thx for the info!!

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Any time you suspect a leaking oil seal, the first step in confirming this would be to clean that area up (Kerosene or diesel fuel work well as parts cleaners, and won't harm painted or plastic surfaces), and then keep an eye on it.

@ hazesteve... it's not a common problem on CBR250R/RA's for the shift shaft oil seal to leak... however it is normal or typical to have chain lube fling off onto the sprocket cover, and depending on the type of chain lube, drip onto the shift shaft area of the crankcase.

In the OP's case, it's hard to say whether it's a failed oil seal, or it's just chain lube... looking at the photos, it's possible that the shift shaft seal is leaking, as there looks to be a small amount of fresh, amber colored oil along the bottom edge of the seal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thx @ MotorMike. Although one of the pics looks like amber I think that just might be the light. The stuff I wiped of the a couple of other places was dark black and also some black fluid was present higher than the shifter seal around the plastic case covering crankcase.

Will do as you suggest and keep an eye on it. Thanks for your help! The oil in the oil check window looks still brand new and what was accumulating was pretty black.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Sounds likely then that it's just residual chain lube.

Oil based chain lubes are definitely pretty messy as far as fling off, and they also tend to attract dirt and grime. Some of the better chain lubes products are of a dry lube type... brands like Bel-Ray Super Clean, and Maxima Chain Wax are both very good products which won't fling off, and keep the chain (and the rest of the bike) a lot cleaner.

I've tried a lot of different chain lubes over the years, and prefer Bel-Ray Super Clean for my bike's drive chains...

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
I've tried a lot of different chain lubes over the years, and prefer Bel-Ray Super Clean for my bike's drive chains...
+1

After 35 years of lubing chains I settled on this one about 3 years ago. The 175ml size can is great for slipping under the pillion seat with your tools when touring and the big 400ml can for the workshop. As the name suggests - very clean!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts