Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well just this evening I have invested in a dedicated track bike via an on-line auction (like e-bay). First time I've bought a bike un-ridden but the seller seems like a really honest genuine guy and we have spoken on the phone.

So the CBR is probably relieved to now be on 'road only' duties and is being replaced for track days by a SUZUKI!! :devil:

I know, how could I... I did really want a VFR400 but they are hard to find and expensive and I live at the wrong end of the country where the population is small and the pickings slim. So this '94 GSXR400R came up for sale locally and it was tidy and the price was right $3000 (2000 USD) so there we have it. Exciting times at 14,500rpm redline!

The CBR was fun at the track but it was too much of an investment to be riding on the edge all the time. Sooner or later.... also their is no class locally for 300cc bikes to race in.
I will be running the GSXR in whats called formula 3 which is twins up to 650cc and fours up to 400cc. Tends to be dominated by guys on SV650's which are a great bike but more than I wanted to invest in a track bike at this stage.

Wont be collecting it for another 10 days but here's a pic in the mean time.

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
Well just this evening I have invested in a dedicated track bike via an on-line auction (like e-bay). First time I've bought a bike un-ridden but the seller seems like a really honest genuine guy and we have spoken on the phone.

So the CBR is probably relieved to now be on 'road only' duties and is being replaced for track days by a SUZUKI!! :devil:

I know, how could I... I did really want a VFR400 but they are hard to find and expensive and I live at the wrong end of the country where the population is small and the pickings slim. So this '94 GSXR400R came up for sale locally and it was tidy and the price was right $3000 (2000 USD) so there we have it. Exciting times at 14,500rpm redline!

The CBR was fun at the track but it was too much of an investment to be riding on the edge all the time. Sooner or later.... also their is no class locally for 300cc bikes to race in.
I will be running the GSXR in whats called formula 3 which is twins up to 650cc and fours up to 400cc. Tends to be dominated by guys on SV650's which are a great bike but more than I wanted to invest in a track bike at this stage.

Wont be collecting it for another 10 days but here's a pic in the mean time.

Mega bike the sv another example of the press slaging a good tool and the buying suckers, public shunning them. I had one and it eat a good many other bikes for breakfast on the road.
Good luck and enjoy you Gixer;)

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
WOW! That bike really takes me back to my younger days.. You lucky lucky man. I wish I could see/hear that in person. In Canada we never got the "good" small displacement sport bikes. Sure that frame looks dated by todays standards but it is ICONIC. You realise I wet my pants when I saw that pic.....:(

CONGRATS! **** I'm jealous as He**

BTW..Is that liquid cooled or air/oil cooled (S.A.C.S.) Suzuki Advanced Cooling System.

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW! That bike really takes me back to my younger days.. You lucky lucky man. I wish I could see/hear that in person. In Canada we never got the "good" small displacement sport bikes. Sure that frame looks dated by todays standards but it is ICONIC. You realise I wet my pants when I saw that pic.....:(

CONGRATS! **** I'm jealous as He**

BTW..Is that liquid cooled or air/oil cooled (S.A.C.S.) Suzuki Advanced Cooling System.
Thanks for sharing my enthusiasm!
Yes I cant wait to hear that high RPM four into one wail as the needle swings past 10K :D

From what I can gather all models apart from '86 and '87 were water cooled. Those other two years they had the Suzuki Advanced Three way Coooling System (SACTS) where it was a mixture of water/oil/air for cooling.

Hope you've cleaned up the mess by now :laugh:

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Thanks for sharing my enthusiasm!
Yes I cant wait to hear that high RPM four into one wail as the needle swings past 10K :D

From what I can gather all models apart from '86 and '87 were water cooled. Those other two years they had the Suzuki Advanced Three way Coooling System (SACTS) where it was a mixture of water/oil/air for cooling.

Hope you've cleaned up the mess by now :laugh:
I concur air/oil cooled from 1985 till 1993

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLG0tWxLTKU (note 1.10 time)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTv-SbxycyQ

My last GSXR was a ex Canadian Super Bike contender..1991 model.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I apologize for once again stealing a thread...but once I saw that beautiful pic..I could not contain myself...hence wetting my pants..:eek:

BTW you realize Kiwi... I am now searching for older GSXR's that my "old" body probably can't accommodate any more..:devil: Darn you (LOL)

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey theres no harm in lookin/dreamin :laugh:

Ive just signed up to the 400 greybike forum which i think is based out of England, should hopefully be a good resource of info should i need it.

Ive got the wait now till I pick the bike up in a weeks time... I will trailer it home via some back roads where I will be able to have a play away from uniformed eyes!
Here's the only other pic I have. It comes with spare fairings which is great - but hopefully I wont need them!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last weekend i managed to pull myself away from my knitting as there was a track day on down at my local track.
I trailered my GSXR400 down as the CBR is now on road riding duties only.
I couldn't bear the thought of trashing the CBR down the track on its side :eek:

Anyways, it was a perfect temperature for racing and we got a good five sessions in with only a couple of minor spills (not me) and no mechanical issues.
The little GSXR just loves to rev and probably feels more comfortable doing it than the single banger CBR did.
I've decided to chuck some money at the suspension and have just ordered a set of Race tech springs to firm up the front end a bit. I was getting a bit of wallowing when I was pushing it real hard out of corners under power, bit unsettling when your cranked over.

Next month the Provincial competition kicks off for the Southland Cup as it's known. Five rounds spread over eight months as we break for the three winter months. So I'm going to give the Formula 3 class a crack and see how I go. Should be a good blast if nothing else :D

My racing buddy took a couple of snaps on his phone, that's his blue Triumph 675 in the background.

Me doing my best Stig impersonation:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
We will soon have a resident racer! Are all the races at the same track? If not, where else?

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We will soon have a resident racer! Are all the races at the same track? If not, where else?
All at Teretonga JNO, it's the only sealed circuit here in Southland Province. I'm getting to know it quite well now tho which helps obviously!

I will have my work cut out keeping up with the SV650's which tend to dominate F3.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
No chance of a spin around the Queenstown Highlands circuit, or is that too far away?

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No chance of a spin around the Queenstown Highlands circuit, or is that too far away?
No it's only 30mins longer drive but at this stage there hasn't been any bike racing there. I guess there is no local club to organise it maybe, I did also hear the track owner is not into bikes. Would be good to try it out tho.

Is that a bottle of Red Bull nitro hiding behind the fairing? :D
Yep, sure is. My secret weapon! :laugh:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
No it's only 30mins longer drive but at this stage there hasn't been any bike racing there. I guess there is no local club to organise it maybe, I did also hear the track owner is not into bikes. Would be good to try it out tho.

Yep, sure is. My secret weapon! :laugh:
Really? Plenty of bikes used to compete in the Race to the Sky thing, which was organised by the same chap. I also heard that there were plans afoot to hold a round of the NZSBK championship there next year. Could have sworn I saw something about a Superbike demo there a while ago.

It's entirely possible that I imagined that though.

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So my first crack at Formula 3 on the GSXR400 was a rather humbling and frustrating affair.
What's the old saying - 'First time is the worst time' . Hope that's the case.
I was last in all three of my races :laugh:

To be fair there were a couple of guys slightly slower than me but I didnt have the skills at this stage to get past them. My years of riding WeeBr's has given me good corner speed particularly entry speed and late braking and this is where the guys were holding me up. 'Stuffing it up the inside' in a race scenario is much easier said than done Ive worked out. Esp when your opponent has more HP's than you and you know they are going to fire out of the corner quicker. One of the guys was on a Ducati 750 and should have been in Formula 2 or Hav-a-go class if he wasn't up for that. But this all sounds like excuses...
So lots to work on for next month. :D
In the plus dept the bike is going really well and reliably. The Race Tech front springs have helped in the handling dept but in the off season (June - Sept) I will get the rear shock overhauled as it's 22 years old now! '94 doesn't seem that long ago...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well you and the bike came home safe by the sounds of things - that's a big plus :)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Don't worry too much. Keep reminding yourself that you're there to enjoy the experience and you're on a budget. The latter point is very, very important.

I know from experience that the single most expensive item when you're racing is fixing the **** car/kart/bike after you've crashed it, especially at club level. If money was no object, I'm pretty sure you would happily go for every gap, knowing the $2000 or more repair bill isn't a problem. But you're in a different ball game, and your fun could be prematurely halted if you wrote off the bike. I've been in the same position.

In such circumstances, the best strategy is to work at your own pace and treat the first year or so as 'training'. DO NOT judge yourself by this race or that but by your progress over time.

I absolutely guarantee that you will improve. There is no substitute for track time, especially under race conditions.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts