Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Can I have your autograph please? :D

Well done. Not only great results but it sounds like you enjoyed it, too.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts

D.a.m.n. We have a Legend amoung us....... 2018 Moto GP Campion.... well done Kiwi

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

D.a.m.n. We have a Legend amoung us....... 2018 Moto GP Campion.... well done Kiwi
Thanks guys. Need to clarify this is grass roots motorcycle racing in back water NZ though!

I wish I had got into it 10 years ago when the grids were full and Formula 3 had its own dedicated race. I wouldnt have been leading the comp in my 2nd season then most likely.
Last year we had 20 riders in my class, this year we have 10 and they dont all show generally.

But yes, I'm really enjoying it and encourage any of you mildly interested in racing or track riding to check out your local track for novice/ Have-a-go days and such like.

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Southland Cup Round 6

An interesting days racing at the track yesterday as I got to race on wets for the first time. Last year I never had any for my GSXR400 and this year we have been lucky with the weather so no need for them.
We got the practice session and Race 1 done in the dry before lunch but early afternoon we got a downpour that saw Race 2 declared wet. So the 2nd set of rims got fitted along with a red rear light which is compulsory.

I was really unsure how much grip the wets would afford so I found myself riding around like a Nana with most riders passing me including someone on a Ninja 300! I wasn't prepared to bin my bike at this late stage of the season after a good run all year. By the end of the race though I was getting up to speed and realised I had been way too cautious.

About an hour later we had the last race of the day and by this time the track was drying out real quick as a breeze was blowing. The more experienced (and clever) riders quickly swapped their rear wheels for slicks and went out on those instead. I charged on with wets still on but by mid race the rear over heated and started sliding on me in a reasonably predicatable fashion so i had to back off accordingly. A motard rider I had been duelling with slipped past me but I wasn't too concerned as he wasn't in my class and I had already bagged the F3 class championship with a win in the first race of the day. Was surprised at how chewed up the soft wet rear was when I came in after an 8 lap race. Pic included.

My sponsor and the guy who did the graphics on my bike came down to watch me race and lend a hand, so that was real cool. Great to come in and have guys waiting with stands, tyre warmers and fuel.
All I need now is an umbrella girl :D

So that was the season wrapped up for the year. Really pleased to have achieved my goal of a class win. I owe a lot of this success to a reliable bike. Not one DNF out of 18 races, those SV's are bullet proof.
I've gained more experience and knowledge this year which will hopefully make me faster next season. Bring it on!

View attachment 31777

View attachment 31785

View attachment 31793

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
**** Al that was awesome. I am very greatful to consider you a friend..... well done.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Thanks for your kind words Laurie. This is one of the better things I have got into in recent years. I'm not generally one for setting goals and such like but this year i was really focused on taking the local championship. It's not heavily contested though, a lot of guys just come when they can rather than compete every round for points. We only had five F3 riders on Sunday which is why we get mixed in with other classes.

That KTM is one awesome looking machine. Unfortunately due to our low club numbers we dont have enough 300cc class riders to form a grid so they get lumped in with us. An RC 390 is about 35HP at the crank down on my bike. When we had a round of the Nationals at my local track last summer the RC's were circulating in the 1.12's which is only 3 seconds slower than what I can do on a good day. Impressive.

Lady boys.... yes, well... erm yeah. I have met a few on my travels so perhaps I need to be better prepared with some job application forms next time!
:laugh:

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
New Bike

I havent updated this thread since 2017 so as not to bore y'all. I'm still racing an SV650 in the Pro Twins class and have progressed to National level, albeit at the rear of the field lol.

So... I've just bought a 2020 model and I thought this a good a place as any to bang up a couple of pics and a few words/review before it's converted into my next race bike this winter.

I've just had a couple days with it on the road as i needed to put 500 miles at least on the engine before it went on the dyno. Not so much as to break it in gently but more to get the pistons loosened up in the bores a bit so we could get a more accurate HP reading during the tuning process.

It was interesting riding the stock standard bike on the road and seeing how well it performed. We have two versions of the SV here in New Zealand, a restricted (LAMS) version for the guys and gals on learner licences and the full power version. I bought a restricted version as there was a $2000 off promo deal going on that model only. All the restrictions are in the ECU, no mechanical differences. So out on the road it had about the same power as my Ninja 400 but more torque down low and less up the top end of the RPM range. If you upgraded to one of these from a CB/CBR you would find the increase in power quite substantial. Very easy to just jump on and ride with that low rpm power to get you rolling from a standing start easily and the bike has nice light controls plus a low seat height. The gear box has a really nice action from new even (take note Kawasaki!) and I didnt have one false neutral. I even found if you came to a stop in say fourth you could just keep clicking it down with out rocking the bike or playing with the clutch, impressive.
This is the first naked bike I've ridden for a while and I did find the wind pressure on my chest over 70 mph tiring at times. The handling is OK but is let down by budget suspension. Fine on the smooth roads but gets a bit springy and wallows on the bumpy stuff. The rear shock lacks rebound damping and pogos when pushed. But I'm a bit fussy with my suspension and if you hadn't ridden anything better you would probably think its fine. The front end is more firmly sprung than the CB/CBR so that's a plus.
The exhaust note is dreadfully stifled for a 650cc V twin. There's not much room under the one piece seat for anything much and there's nothing in the way of tie down points for straps and nets, so points off there.
This bike is considerably heavier than a 300/400cc bike at 198kg (437lbs) wet for the ABS model. You feel it just pushing it around and lifting it off the side stand. I'm hoping to trim 15 -20kg off it before hitting the track.

So I ended up with 900km's (560miles) on the clock at the end of my two days prior to going on the dyno. I did a oil and filter change and fitted a M4 full system exhaust. Suddenly it sounded like a proper motorcycle - yas!
The next morning we did a base run on the dyno which showed a meager 42HP at the rear wheel and a huge mid-range dip in the power curve due to the aftermarket exhaust. Plus it was running really rich at the top end.
After altering the fuel maps to get rid of the restriction (only 42% fueling at 100% throttle) and getting the Air/fuel ratio sweet throughout the rpm range, he then had a look at the ignition map. There wasn't much to be gained here, Suzuki seem to have it pretty good straight out of the box but we got another 1HP or so by adding three degrees of advance to the ignition timing. Final run of the day saw 72HP at the rear wheel.
I took it down the road for a quick blast before loading up and it felt like a beast in comparison. Very pleased. (y) Perfect fueling throughout the rpm range too, no farting around or popping on decel.

So tomorrow I start the race build. That'll keep me outta trouble. :giggle:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Nice write-up and photos.. Exhaust looks nice, what materials are the header pipes made from? I don't see much discoloration yet.. Maybe you've not had time to heat it up yet.
Question for you.. My local dealer has Two of these on the sales floor.. a '20 SV650 for $6051 US and a '19 SV650X for $6891 US. I know our currency exchange isn't necessarily useful, but this seems a big percentage spread for a year older, slightly different model. I'm sure there other differences than the funky Retro seat and cafe fairing. Both bikes are discounted, but neither one marked down by much. What am I missing here??

·
Registered
288 Posts
Awesome to read your thoughts, kiwi. 72whp is great for a full exhaust and tuning! You're really making me get the itch to tune mine... Sounds like the restricted version was a deal.

I agree with your thoughts about the shifter action. With some minor adjustment over the first 1500-1600 miles, the gear changes are very "snickety-snickety". Neutral is very easy to find. And I don't find myself reaching for 7th gear on the highway! Initial impressions when I first picked up the bike was that it was HEAVY and the turning radius was HUGE (the X is worse than the standard IIRC). But I've grown accustomed to both, and slow speed maneuvers are easy. I've been working on my ability to actually send it from a stop and rip through first and second... Supposedly 60mph comes in 3.3 seconds(!)

Similar feelings about the suspension, probably can be improved economically but I'm not fussing with it anytime soon. Everything is predictable on smooth pavement. My main issue at the moment is a bit of a darty feeling, as in the first incremental change to steering has a larger impact than anticipated? If that makes sense? This is when I'm riding more briskly through corners, and it results in a lot of unwarranted corrections to my line. I'm sure most of the problem is rider-related, but our local track day events got cancelled after the first event drew a complaint from a neighbor w.r.t. social distancing. We'll likely be back on next month.

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Nice write-up and photos.. Exhaust looks nice, what materials are the header pipes made from? I don't see much discoloration yet.. Maybe you've not had time to heat it up yet.
Question for you.. My local dealer has Two of these on the sales floor.. a '20 SV650 for $6051 US and a '19 SV650X for $6891 US. I know our currency exchange isn't necessarily useful, but this seems a big percentage spread for a year older, slightly different model. I'm sure there other differences than the funky Retro seat and cafe fairing. Both bikes are discounted, but neither one marked down by much. What am I missing here??
Go with the '19 as there's no mechanical differences. Just make sure the '19 is a '19 though and not an '18 because in 2019 they introduced the four pot calipers on the front brakes which is one of the reasons I wanted to upgrade. My class rules are that you have to run the bike with the calipers it came with. Personally i think the X modeols are a better looking bike than the naked and they have preload adjusters on the forks.
AFAIK there have been no mechanical changes (apart from the font brakes) to the third generation SV since it was introduced in 2016. Just paint jobs and seats and the plastic bits etc.

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
.....My main issue at the moment is a bit of a darty feeling, as in the first incremental change to steering has a larger impact than anticipated? If that makes sense? This is when I'm riding more briskly through corners, and it results in a lot of unwarranted corrections to my line. I'm sure most of the problem is rider-related...
Hi Zeke, yeah I know that feeling you speak of. Kind of like when your going through the transition phase of starting to lean into a corner and suddenly it falls in quicker than you anticipated so you make a counter adjustment and all of sudden your smooth entry is all gone and your off line? I did actually notice that trait on my bike too but i put it down to it being more of an upright naked riding stance. Could be something in it but my guess is (having ridden racing SV's with great handling) is that it is something in the budget suspension, possibly an imbalance of some sort between front and rear. Unfortunately there's not a lot you can play with on the stock models as far as suspension adjustment goes.
Other potential culprit areas are worn tyres and worn or loose head stock bearings. Might be worth checking both those two out. Get someone to hold the bike over on the side stand (if you havent got a front steering head lift stand) and grab the bottom of the forks and give then a wriggle back and fro to check for movement. Unlikely on a new bike though.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts