Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How and Why Motorcycle Lane Splitting is Safe and Good - /RideApart

Great video on lane splitting. Do you lane split?

Motorcycles riding between cars! Calm down, the legal practice of lane splitting saves car drivers time and money by reducing overall congestion while allowing motorcycles to take charge of their own safety. Here's why everyone, including car drivers, should support legal lane splitting.

Jamie and a Triumph Street Triple are joined by Harlan Flagg of electric motorcycle dealer Hollywood Electrics and Wes returns from injury on a Suzuki GSX-R600

·
Registered
203 Posts
I think that it is good that the law changes from place to place. I am guessing that in some places the practice of lane splitting probably works better than in other places. Is everyone here a fan of lane-splitting? I never do it. I just assumed it was illegal here in Toronto.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think it should be legal, legal or not people will be idiots and have poor judgement when doing this. meanwhile the rest of us go about lane splitting in a safe way.

·
Registered
162 Posts
i think it should be legal, legal or not people will be idiots and have poor judgement when doing this. meanwhile the rest of us go about lane splitting in a safe way.
One thing to keep in mind is that lane splitting could still be regulated even if it were legal. Make it illegal to do stupid or dangerous things while lane splitting, but make all the safe stuff legal. That will give cops the chance to reprimand the bad apples.

·
Registered
528 Posts
It works in some places, it doesnt work in others

Some drivers are not prepared for it.

And at the same time some riders are not mentally smart enough to do it safely.

It has to be a situation based scenario.

Its suitable for certain situations and not suitable in others.

Lots of safety precautions and awareness have to be taken to have it implemented safely

And because of all these complications, state laws take the easy way out and just ban it.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One thing to keep in mind is that lane splitting could still be regulated even if it were legal. Make it illegal to do stupid or dangerous things while lane splitting, but make all the safe stuff legal. That will give cops the chance to reprimand the bad apples.
Very true.

Having regulations around it might be a good thing as it will have guys be more aware of what they're doing and more likely to do whats right or what falls under those regulations.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Very true.

Having regulations around it might be a good thing as it will have guys be more aware of what they're doing and more likely to do whats right or what falls under those regulations.
Having complicated rules about lane splitting could just cause anger and confusion though. Riders could get upset because they thought they were doing something legal and are then pulled over. Car drivers may get mad at people for doing something legal that they think isn't.

This may be one case where I agree with the Republican adage --> government regulation is bad.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Too bad it will happen either way. If it makes them money in the end, then, you've guessed it, it makes sense!

·
Registered
528 Posts
They should just have a small lane on the left for motorcycles. But patrolled for speeding of course.

Better/safer than having motorcycles zip between cars.

If you can put money into having dam bicycle lanes. You can do the same for motorcycles dammit.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That would be a good idea, there's not much space thats needed to make this happen but it also depends on how many people will actually use it.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
They should just have a small lane on the left for motorcycles. But patrolled for speeding of course.

If you can put money into having dam bicycle lanes. You can do the same for motorcycles dammit.
That would be a great solution!

Just slit up the shoulder that doesn't get used.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts

That would be a good idea, there's not much space thats needed to make this happen but it also depends on how many people will actually use it.
That would be a great solution!

Just slit up the shoulder that doesn't get used.
Yup, best thing to do, all it would require at most is repainting those lines to better suit riders.
Except you guys are forgetting one important thing... on most freeways, the inside and outside shoulders are considered to be "Break Down Lanes".

·
Registered
74 Posts
I commute over 37 miles each way to work. When I got rear-ended and was taking the car to work, it almost doubled the amount of time I spent on the road. Heck ya, I support lane-splitting if done safely.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Must be a nice feeling... :p

·
Registered
149 Posts
Lane split all the time. As long as I have two lanes I'm gonna do it. Legally only 10mph faster than traffic. But has gotten me out of some horrific CA traffic jams splitting the carpool and inside most lane. Gets me to the front at stop lights too. Always clench up a little tighter when I do it though. Haha. It's important to anticipate other drivers and be hyper aware. You learn to be cautious when cars have openings to cross into your lane vs. when there are two cars side by side and there's no opportunity for them to lane change in front of you. High beams on always when I do it.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Gotta be careful of passengers jumping out at the lights tho. Ive had a few car doors opened in front of me! Not a good look....:eek:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts