Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Most of you are probably looking forward to getting some quality time in on your bikes now the winter has passed in the northern hemisphere, but for us southerners it's not quite as exciting as the weather cools and the riding season draws to a close.

I cant complain tho, Ive had a great summer on the bike, clocking up 6,500 enjoyable miles since I bought the 300R at the end of September.
Most of this ticked over on a 3,500 mile tour in February, probably the highlight of my summer. Myself and a couple of mates on our machines following the breeze and the curve of the road with not too many cares in the world let alone a destination in mind!

I also got in a couple of track days, a good chance to really put the 300 through its paces. Big grin factor. A fair bit of David vs Goliath going on :laugh:

So anyways... I went for a final long blast yesterday with my riding buddy through the mountains to the world famous Milford Sound (what? you haven't heard of it!) 120kms each way full of sweepers, twisties, hairpin bends and even the odd short straight piece!
Lots of grit down on the road now tho and we managed to break traction exiting bends a couple of times - all completely controlled, of course :D

But that (and the cold!) was enough to make me realise its time now to park the bike up for the winter, apart from the odd short blast on the right sort of day to keep oneself sane and blow some cobwebs to the wind.

Its been a hoot, great little machine as you all well know. Look forward to hearing about some of your own rides over the course of the summer.
Enjoy it all and ride safe :)

View attachment 4305

View attachment 4313

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ahhhhhhh... so sad. It's freaking 80 here in North Carolina. I've got pretty much the whole year for riding. Im fortunate enough to be able to ride everyday in moderate weather.

how cold does it get for you? Also will you still take little rides here and there, or are you serious putting it up for a while? how are rainbows made? Why is the sky blue? Is there a number that scarier than 7?

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep there is - 666! :devil:

Our winter at 45 degrees south is not as harsh as yours probably as we are a small, narrow land mass. If we get sunshine you may get close to 10 degrees in the middle of the day, but if we have fog then maybe only 2 or 3.
Lots of frosts and normally 2 or 3 falls of snow that's usually all gone in 3 or 4 days.
So you can still ride but just need to be keen and pick your day. I will still be sneaking in the odd short one.
By September your back into it again.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I know it gets cold down south in our winter but I assumed that even southern Australia and New Zealand stay fairly mild through the winter. Do you guys get snow regularly during the winter?

I don't feel too bad for you considering the Canadian winter seems to last about a third of the year, while our summer is about a quarter of the year.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yep there is - 666! :devil:

Our winter at 45 degrees south is not as harsh as yours probably as we are a small, narrow land mass. If we get sunshine you may get close to 10 degrees in the middle of the day, but if we have fog then maybe only 2 or 3.
Lots of frosts and normally 2 or 3 falls of snow that's usually all gone in 3 or 4 days.
So you can still ride but just need to be keen and pick your day. I will still be sneaking in the odd short one.
By September your back into it again.
One time I had my bike roll over to 666km on friday the 13th.... scary times :D

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know it gets cold down south in our winter but I assumed that even southern Australia and New Zealand stay fairly mild through the winter. Do you guys get snow regularly during the winter?

I don't feel too bad for you considering the Canadian winter seems to last about a third of the year, while our summer is about a quarter of the year.
I'm at the very bottom of the South Island of New Zealand so the coldest place in all of Australasia. Places like Queensland and the Northern Territory in Australia don't have a cold winter. Lucky!

Its not as harsh as Canada but yes we do get the odd fall of snow, usually less than 10 inches and it doesn't hang around too long.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts