Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! New CB300F rider and poster here.

I had been flirting with the idea of getting a motorcycle for years. Nearly ten years ago, I took the MSF course--convinced I would soon purchase a bike. Years passed as I made excuses and delayed purchasing a bike.

Probably the biggest hurdle standing in the way of me getting into sport was when I moved New York City six years ago. Simply driving a car in-and-around NYC can be a white knuckle experience if you are not accustomed to it. The drivers are aggressive, the roads are crap, and the tangled highways surrounding the city are exhausting. Then there is the issue of on-street parking. Learn to ride motorcycle here? "I'll wait until I move out of the city someday", I kept saying to myself.

Late last summer, I got tired of making excuses. I was not leaving the NY area anytime soon. Now in my mid-thirties, I was not getting any younger. I plotted how I could make it work: where I could safely park my bike, nearby parking lots I could practice in, routes I could safely navigate, the safety gear I needed, a trustworthy mechanic nearby, etc. Plan in place, all I needed was a motorcycle!

I ended up going with the CB300F because I wanted a bike that would be forgiving, extremely nimble for urban riding, and relatively inexpensive. Though style was not the primary driver behind my purchase, I was more interested in the naked/standard bikes. I also wanted to have enough power on tap to contend with the highways surrounding the city that access the countryside.

I am so happy I bought this bike last October. It has been great for my needs thus far (even if it was in storage for nearly 3 months). It is super maneuverable for zipping around the city streets. Today, I finally got it outside the sprawl of NYC to some windy roads. Had a blast! Already at 700 miles.

Though learning to ride a motorcycle in major city is not particularly safe or easy per se, it is doable and even enjoyable. I hope someone in a similar situation reads this and realizes that it is possible with some planning, patience and practice. It also helps if you have the right tool for the job. Thus far, the CB300F has been up for the job.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Welcome to the forum, good on you for taking the plunge and joining the fold. Sounds like you planed it well and it paid off. I'm sure the 300F is ideal city blaster. I live in a town of pop 1900 with not a traffic light in sight! Hope u find the site useful.

·
Registered
352 Posts
That's a cool little story my friend. Welcome to the Ride Red Addiction! These bikes are great for what you need them for. Things happened they way they were supposed to happen and now after those long yrs or waiting, you were meant to have this bike & Honda provided!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Good to have you here. I have been considering the CBR300 for learning how to ride as well. Glad to hear that it is working out well for you. I was just planning on using some of the less traveled roads in Toronto to learn to ride. Not sure if that is quite as possible in NYC though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts