Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently installed LED indicators and here's my problem: I installed the rear indicators with resistors (hadn't touched the front indicators yet) and that seemed to work. I then installed the front indicators with resistors only to find out that after doing so I had the hyper flash issue again.

So essentially, rear LED indicators fitted with resistors, coupled with original indicators at the front: NO hyper flash.

Front AND rear LED indicators fitted with resistors: hyper flash!

What am I doing wrong? Is there something I'm missing?

Cheers for the help!

·
Registered
15 Posts
If the signals are going from the switch to the fronts, then getting split off of the same wire and going to the rear, you are essentially putting two resistors in series which can be the cause of the hyperflash due to increased, or, out of proportion resistance. Try putting the unit with resistor up front and the unit without the resistor in the rear... From my suspicion this will redemy the hyperflash.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've recently installed LED indicators and here's my problem: I installed the rear indicators with resistors (hadn't touched the front indicators yet) and that seemed to work. I then installed the front indicators with resistors only to find out that after doing so I had the hyper flash issue again.

So essentially, rear LED indicators fitted with resistors, coupled with original indicators at the front: NO hyper flash.

Front AND rear LED indicators fitted with resistors: hyper flash!

What am I doing wrong? Is there something I'm missing?

Cheers for the help!
Something you should consider is how the LED utilizes the reflector bowl that was designed for the incandescent bulb. Try running the two side by side and step back 20-30ft. It's very likely you'll take note that the LED side isn't as noticeable/bright as the OEM bulb. This is because the reflective housing was designed to reflect the light emitted from the incandescent bulb forward, however the LED bulb is likely a tower type bulb that has SMD LED emitting in multiple directions. Although the "bulb" is rated brighter than your OEM bulb (yes, add all the LED's and it emits more light total), less light is captured by the reflector and less light is sent towards the vehicles that need to see your signal, making it much more unsafe.

I have examples of this in my car, and I'm 99% sure you'll experience the same issues with the Honda turn signals for our motorcycles, if not worse, unless the bulb is specifically designed to work our turn signal reflector.

If LED's were that easy auto manufactures would place LED bulbs in housings. If you check, no manufactures actually use a LED bulb (headlights, tail lights, turn signals, etc). That's because they're unable to do the job well without being more integrated into the design of the unit. The vast majority of aftermarket LED bulbs (except for the awesome Philips Vision LED's) have poor heat dissipation which leads to poor output and reduced life.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Ok here's my problem with led's. I installed 2 led signals with 2 resistors in back. Both worked perfectly. The front stock and rear led's did not hyper blink and all 4 signal/driving lights stayed on. Then I replaced the front 2 led signals (same led lights as the rear, done on the same day). I used 2 resistors up front also. Now when I turn my lights on only the front 2 'drivers lights' stay lit. The rear signals/driving lights are not lit. But when I turn the blinkers left and right, all 4 led lights work perfectly. No hyper blinking at all. So my problem is now I have no driving lights in the rear, only the driving light/brake light is lit. To me this really isn't a huge deal because integrated taillights would do the same. It's just driving me nuts why this happened? Any thoughts??

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm pretty sure the back signals don't run as tail lights because they are orange. Tail lights need to be red. Only the front signals are on as running lights. I had to leave my bike at home while I'm on holidays though so I can't confirm this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts