Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
<snip>For example, this FMF Apex slip-on...

View attachment 3937
I mentioned in another thread my thoughts on replacing the OEM cannister with one off a larger displacement bike, much the same way as the DR650 nuts (me included) used the Ti cannister off a Gixxer 600 to replace the OEM on the DR.

My reasoning for going that route is because of the last 2 experiences I've had with FMF.
I'm a lot closer to 50yo than 45yo, so I admit my memory isn't want it used to be, but I honestly can't remember ever encountering worse customer support from a company in my entire life.

The WR250X full exhaust system I ordered arrived and I cut myself twice just removing the **** thing from the box because there were stainless steel burs all over the header where the guy welding left the wire sticking to the pipe. The header didn't fit into what I call the "mid-pipe" properly, and required modification with a Dremel before I could get it to fit.

There wasn't a single mandrel bend on it, and it looked as if it were built using a $25 combo-deal from Harbor Freight for a Tube Bender and Welder. When I documented it with lots of pics and emailed them (nicely) asking why these obvious defects were shipped out I was told to f-off, but not in nice words like that...

FMF is one of the larger companies in motorcycle aftermarket and they know they're one of the only companies able to make a large selection of parts for nearly all bikes out there...They also know they can get away with stamping out shitty parts, call them "compatible", and tell people to piss off if they have problems.

The DR650 header I ordered? the "connection" point to the exhaust port on the engine wasn't straight. The pipe was bent wrong (to the point it interfered with the oil cooling line and would have burnt through it if I hadn't re-routed the oil cooling line) and the pipe split at the curve by the front down tube after 230miles. Again, well documented with pics at the time, emailed them, and was told to pound sand.

What ticks me off most is that I've never encountered a problem with one of their 2-stroke expansion chambers/silencers...they've all been absolutely perfect. Perfect fit & finish...so I know they're "capable" of producing a quality product.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
As you can see, posts that are obvious "thread highjacks" will be moved to a new thread.

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
More hijacking....Had similar lack of support from Leo Vince when the CF slip on I bought for my 250R self destructed after 2000miles. In fact they never even responded to my e-mails.

View attachment 3945
Looks like an Italian product, no? Should've bought Murican. ;) :laugh:

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've never been a fan of the motorcycle aftermarket. The products are awful, the websites are hard to navigate, the shipping is brutal.

I can't figure out why it is the way it is, but the automotive aftermarket is so much better.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
I've had nothing but good experiences with FMF (three of my bikes are equipped with FMF exhausts), both with regard to the quality of their products as well as their customer service.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had nothing but good experiences with FMF (three of my bikes are equipped with FMF exhausts), both with regard to the quality of their products as well as their customer service.
I've run nothing but FMF on my 2-strokes for decades (probably a dozen to 15 exhaust/silencer combos over the years) and never experienced a single issue. Fitment was first-rate, quality likewise. As a result, I never needed customer support.

On the flip-side, I've never had a single experience with their street products where I didn't need a dremel and a large hammer and half a box of band-aids. Once is an abberation, but every, single experience I've ever had witrh a street product has been shitty, followed up with even worse customer experience.

I deal with customers all day long who can be "demanding" as **** (Captains and Admirals from Major Navy Commands across the country) so I know to diplomatically broach uncomfortable subjects with zero emotion in my communications so they understand the issue without being turned off by the tone of the message I'm relaying

I took 3+ hours to craft a very emotionlessly-worded email explaining the problem I encountered with the Power Bomb header for my WR250X to FMF's customer support.

The mounting connector/flange was not welded on straight so I got blow-by at the connection point to the exhaust port. double gaskets wouldn't help because it wouldn't fit properly at all with 2 crush washers. Over-tightening it broke the exhaust mounting bolt. This was prior to me making any mod to it...it was still quite flawlessly shiny and could have been returned for one that fit properly...This is what I asked for (and asked for nicely, at that)

Their response was a single sentence, "Replacement denied. I guess you should have bought an even shittier header from one of our competitors, huh?"

I got the issue corrected at a local muffler shop and I won't ever deal with them again if I can avoid it.

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
Motive rear fender elimination kit was total crap. fell apart after a month without hitting anything and lost my plate
It must have snapped off when you did that big wheelie just after getting some air off the jump at the local motocross track by the looks! ;):laugh:

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
Just taken after rain. Clearly it didn't like water cos there is clear signs of rust.
That's interesting as most of them are made from aluminium which doesn't rust but is very prone to cracking/metal fatique.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts