Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Coudn't agree more, I have a friend has a CRF250l. He swapped his with a 300 crankshaft and is also running on CBR wheels. I'm very jealous.
Yes, ive been debating on swapping in a 300, how does he like the 300 on the CRF? I got to think of a project for the 250 motor, lol

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thanks Zeke, I look forward to your review of the windshield after you have taken it on the highway at 90 mph.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yay! First ride of the season, didn't quite get up to 90 but here's my first impression:

When I first put the windscreen on, it was coming into contact with red painted portions circled here:

And nearly making contact elsewhere. I could readily anticipate the rubbing to wear on the paint, so I tweaked the screen up a bit so it wasn't touching (but allowed a half-inch gap between windscreen and headlight cowl). With it like this, yeah, it vibrates: At idle, and definitely at lower speeds (30-45 mph) where the bike is vibe-y and you feel road imperfections. At highway speeds (55+), there's little to no (discernible) shake. The amount of vibration at lower speeds is noticeable, and annoying, so I will be trying to figure out a solution to tweak the screen back down to its original position, with something cushioning between the screen and the cowl at the two points indicated. (It's not on a flat surface. Maybe a type of clear silicone caulk.)

In terms of its wind deflecting utility... Hard to be sure given I didn't do any immediate with/without testing (yet), but it feels like there's a little pocket of deflected air -- up to about my upper chest. (I'm 6', but shorter inseam/tall trunk). It is obviously too small for any rider to properly create a slipscreen, but buffeting *seemed* improved, and this little bit of decreased pressure on my lower torso seemed good? Put another way: Buffeting from vehicles/wind gusts was a thing I noticed acutely on the CB300F last season. On this ride today (not windy, a little breezy), the only time I really noticed buffeting was while passing a tractor-trailer on the highway at 65+.

I like the look slightly less than w/o. If I was buying new, I would have gotten the dark tint version, for aesthetics and given that I'm never looking *through* the windscreen on the CB300F. For $40 used, it seems like a good purchase, but I'll do some better testing later on to gauge whether I'd pay new. There are some other users with this item / threads about it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Also, here are the results of a last-day-of-winter March 19th mixed-route (city streets, county routes, interstates; clear roads to stop-and-go) ride in Minnesota, high of 48ºF, wet roads and flood warnings from all the snow melt -- on a bike with the Yoshi tail delete. My jacket is gray but curiously enough looks no worse for wear. Very early on I received some fairly enthusiastic encouragement from a woman walking one of the lakes. :D

First time my bike has actually been quite dirty. :serious:

Battery mysteriously dead at the end of the trip. I sat on it for maybe 10 minutes in the parking lot after arriving home, turned off but with the key 'ON' and my phone plugged in. Battery on the tender now, hoping it's not portending some bigger electrical gremlin.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Puig windscreen gap

Yay! First ride of the season, didn't quite get up to 90 but here's my first impression:

When I first put the windscreen on, it was coming into contact with red painted portions circled here:

And nearly making contact elsewhere. I could readily anticipate the rubbing to wear on the paint, so I tweaked the screen up a bit so it wasn't touching (but allowed a half-inch gap between windscreen and headlight cowl).

After installing my Puig New Naked Bike screen as per the instructions I ended up with the gap shown in the photo below. There isn't any contact between the screen and the cowl.

Attachments

·
Registered
362 Posts
I used to be an Industrial photographer and much of my work was done with a 5 x 4" technical monorail camera. Sometimes the client would have a quick look at the screen and puzzle why the image was upside down. I used to say I was using Australian film. Eventually I would give the correct explanation.

·
Registered
304 Posts
After installing my Puig New Naked Bike screen as per the instructions I ended up with the gap shown in the photo below. There isn't any contact between the screen and the cowl.

Yeah, I don't follow instructions well. Using the supplied bolts AND SPACERS it fits fine. However, took it off today and much prefer the aesthetics without. It's probably going to stay off, if anyone wants to try it.......

·
Registered
304 Posts
4+ hours in the saddle today. Found some routes to the SW of the Twin Cities that offered pleasant pastures, rolling hills, river roads, and fast sweepers. Unfortunately, some of the river roads were still flooded! We had a lot of snow pack and it melted too quickly this spring. Quite a few other bikes on the roads, I spied a fair amount of group rides (including a group of 3-4 sports bikes trying to navigate the same closed roads).

After checking my tire pressures recently, they had been quite a bit overinflated. Adjusted to 29/29 front/rear has helped to make the bike much more predictable in the corners. Lots of opportunity to concentrate on clean cornering today: eyes up, looking ahead, proper line, throttle out of turns, cognizant of sand/dirt/hazards. Little traffic running interference. Few LEOs.

I picked up a $40 AmazonBasics tankbag (pictured) and am mostly happy with it. It has plenty of space (++expansion gusset), a map/tablet compartment on the top, easy-to-use big zippers for gloved hands.

Also, with the 13t sprocket front (stock 36t rear), my speed is about 7% optimistic: a 85.6 mph GPS reading indicated 92 on the speedo. Likewise, I believe an indicated 100 is actually 93? Ran out of road, not breath, but I believe these things with stock gearing hit 10k at 103 mph? I probably can't wind this over a true 100 with the 13t sprocket.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Sounds like a great ride you had!

I have been inflating my tires 30 in the front and 32 in the rear. That was merely with fuel economy as the goal but the traction has felt fine. I was running 30/30 for the first 3 or 4 months that I owned the bike.

I have gone 31/33 also a couple of times (assuming that I would lose 1 psi just when I take off the nozzle of the air pump I get a little bit of air that escapes).

Can you talk more on the tank bag? How hard is it to take on and off? Do you rely just on the magnets or do you also use the strap? And are you still able to lay your chest on the tank when you are tucked down on the highway?

I womder how the 13T front sprocket has affected your overall fuel economy?

·
Registered
304 Posts
The tank bag has straps that I use, and it's as easy as two clips to remove. The magnets are strong enough to hold the bag and I've relied on them for short jaunts around the block, but have seen no need to risk it w/o the straps on longer rides. You can tuck right down on top of it (such as you can tuck on this bike.. I'm perhaps too tall to do it much efficiently). Went AmazonBasics because it seemed like equivalently sized name-brand bags were 2x as much.

The 13t sprocket will definitely lead to a decrease in fuel economy. I will have to average some tanks at some point. But the better acceleration in 3rd-4th-5th is quite welcomed.

·
Registered
159 Posts
ruh roh, I see that kink.

...yeah...there's a couple of em there.... nothing a little wd40 won't fix.....

·
Registered
304 Posts
K, none of the links are too bad (i.e., seized). I've been hitting it with lithium grease, but need to get the dang dedicated chain wax.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts