My '12 CBR250R:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which bag is that?
How are you liking it?
It's an OGIO Stealth Tail Bag. I really like it, works great for my purposes. I'm not one of those "backpack dudes" who you seem to see everywhere these days riding a motorcycle. I wear full leathers (Alpinestars jacket & pants) which are heavy enough, so I don't need the added weight of hauling a bunch of stuff on my back. I can carry everything I need in the OGIO tail bag for a full day ride (including a 2 liter Camelbak reservoir* inside the tail bag), with room to spare.

*I have the hose from the Camelbak routed to my helmet, where it attaches with velcro for hands free hydration "on the go"... it's a really nice set-up, particularly on hot summer day rides.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yea that is one of the nicest bags that I have seen for a bike. It isn't huge and it also doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Have you made any mods to your CBR250R?

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
It's an OGIO Stealth Tail Bag. I really like it, works great for my purposes. I'm not one of those "backpack dudes" who you seem to see everywhere these days riding a motorcycle. I wear full leathers (Alpinestars jacket & pants) which are heavy enough, so I don't need the added weight of hauling a bunch of stuff on my back. I can carry everything I need in the OGIO tail bag for a full day ride (including a 2 liter Camelbak reservoir* inside the tail bag), with room to spare.

*I have the hose from the Camelbak routed to my helmet, where it attaches with velcro for hands free hydration "on the go"... it's a really nice set-up, particularly on hot summer day rides.
Yeah it makes sense to have a tank bag rather than a back pack. i like the idea of the hydration pack might have to look in to getting myself for those scorching hot summer days. Better than having to stop riding and pay for a bottle of h20 that I can't keep with me.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
BTW I am liking that color theme. HRC!!!!

Hwo are you liking the tone on the FMF?

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yea that is one of the nicest bags that I have seen for a bike. It isn't huge and it also doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Have you made any mods to your CBR250R?
BTW I am liking that color theme. HRC!!!!

How are you liking the tone on the FMF?
Yeah, I much prefer the '12 Tri Color over the all Black, or the Red/Silver 250's.

Aside from the FMF slip on, a 13T front sprocket, a SpeedoDRD (to correct the speedometer after making the gearing change), and some suspension tuning, my bike is basically stock. I bought the bike new in April of 2012, and currently have just under 11,000 miles on it.

The FMF exhaust sounds pretty good, IMO. It's a fairly low, deep tone and to my ear not at all like the sound of some of the aftermarket exhausts that some people say make the CBR250R sound like a dirt bike. Compared to the sound of the FMF PowerCore 4T slip-on that I have on my XR400R, the FMF unit on the CBR has a somewhat deeper tone, without the dirt bike "crack" sound. The FMF Apex Carbon Fiber slip-on is also about 13 lbs lighter than the stock CBR muffler. Last but not least, this FMF Apex slip-on looks far and away much better than the stock 250R muffler, IMO.

The change from the stock 14T front sprocket, to a 13T made a huge improvement to the acceleration, especially in 4th, 5th, and 6th gears... honestly with the stock 14T sprocket, the bike was a bit of a dog in terms of acceleration in 6th gear. I'm sure Honda geared it that way for emissions, as well as fuel economy. I didn't change the rear sprocket, as there is really no need to. The 13T seems to be the ideal set-up for the typical 250R rider.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's the other pic in full size...

I added the White stripes on the fuel tank, which I cut from some vinyl stock. I thought that with the large amount of White on the main side cowls, the bike really needed some White on the fuel tank to balance out the overall appearance. And the HRC decals on both rear side cowls were add ons as well.

All in all, not a bad looking CBR250R if I do say so myself. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ride a black 2013 cbr250ra I'll get pics up soon but it's completely stock...Probably won't get cbr300r as it is such a small jump but I like the looks and I am interested in how it will do. personally looking for my next bike to be extremely flick-able and having a sub 6 second 0-60. Right now ninja 300 is only option I care for but if the cbr300 makes that cut I will consider it(though i doubt it will). Not looking for crazy power just a tiny bit more while getting a styling i like better.

Edit: I want to give cbr500r test drive and ktm390 but have not had the chance too. On paper I don't like the cbr500's lower rev limit but mind might change once I rode it. ktm just sounds like pure sex all over but no dealers around me sell ktm bikes

btw I do usually wear gear and over my work pants/shirt/shoes but this was before I had bought/started wearing my gear

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
wouldn't let me edit other post...after looking over stats and thinking for some time I think I might check out the cbr650 if the price is comparable with ninja650(which I would assume it is).

Just like the feel of small bikes but want the power of a ninja300 or ktm390

hey mike what you think good options is?

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wouldn't let me edit other post...after looking over stats and thinking for some time I think I might check out the cbr650 if the price is comparable with ninja650(which I would assume it is).

Just like the feel of small bikes but want the power of a ninja300 or ktm390

hey mike what you think good options is?
Yeah the Edit function goes away after 24 hours on this site.

As far as options for your next bike, I guess it depends on where you live. I don't believe Honda is planning on releasing the CBR650 in the U.S., at least not anytime soon... it should be a good bike, though. I wish we did get some of the motorcycles here in the U.S. that the European market gets.

I do know of a number of riders who went from the CBR250R, to the CBR500R and are very happy with the bike. I also think the KTM RC390 will be a great bike when it becomes available, but as I'm sure you know it may be a while before we see the first RC390's in the U.S., and it's likely there won't be very many to be had initially. As a rule, I'm generally not a fan of buying a first year bike anyway... it usually takes a manufacturer a model year or two to work out any little bugs & kinks and make some refinements to a new bike.

If I were in the market for a new mid sized bike this year (which I'm not), I honestly can't say what I'd be looking at in terms of bikes that are actually available to buy. By the time I'll be in the market for a new bike (likely two years from now) I'm hoping the RC 390 will be readily available to buy, and at a price I can afford.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Appreciate the advice, will try to get a test ride on cbr500 might just wait on news for the 650 or 390.

Just going to ignore the immaturity above...It's not harmful to ask someone with experience questions...

·
Registered
532 Posts
the family dirtbike!

we've got an old CR250 up at the cottage, could never afford insurance, turning 25 in March so finally someone will insure me and not ask for blood in the process. BTW anyone have good advice on insurance providers? I've heard good things about statefarm....

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
A couple more of my Honda's...

This is my 1993 Honda CT70...

1993 was the second to the last model year that Honda imported this most recent version of the CT70 into the U.S... sales were pretty soft, so it was discontinued in the U.S. after the 1994 model year. They continued to be available in a few other markets after 1994.

I bought mine 5 years ago for $1000, with 385 original miles on the odometer. In 1993, it had an MSRP of $1495 USD. Today, I could likely get $2200 to $2600 for it from the right buyer (although mine is not for sale :D). It's a fun little bike to ride on the gravel roads & single tracks that we have around where I live. My 15 month old daughter absolutely loves going for rides with me on the CT70. I figure in ten years time she'll be ready to learn to ride.

As Honda's small displacement motorcycles go, the CT70 Mini-Trails have definitely become sought after collectors bikes, and although they are not exactly rare, they are becoming less common. You don't see a whole lot of them up for sale much any more, especially clean, original examples from the early '70's. Occasionally a vintage CT70 "barn find" will pop up on places like CraigsList, but those are typically bikes that need a whole lot of restoration work done to them if the goal is to end up with something nice. And these "barn finds" that need work still bring a pretty decent price, often 2 to 3 times what they originally sold for as new bikes. I believe in 1970 a new Honda Ct70 had a retail price of about $495 USD.

I also have a '69 Honda Z50A Mini-Trail, which I bought with the intention to restore it to its original, new condition. In 1969 the Z50A had a retail price of $295 USD. Today these little Honda Mini-Trails will bring $2000 to $3000 USD when fully restored, while one that is in original, showroom condition can fetch upwards of $4500 or more from a serious collector.

This one shown in the photo below isn't mine, but this pic gives you an idea of what they looked like back in the day. The one I have is this same Candy Blue version... the other colors available in '69 were Bright Yellow, and Candy Ruby Red (I had one of the Candy Ruby Red models as a 10 year old kid in '69). Anyway, I'm hoping I can restore my Z50A to look as good as this one...

Attachments

Reactions: soulcal and corb

·
Registered
166 Posts
1970 CB350 in the process of the sidecar being mounted (picture is from early July, my 80year dad is using this at the moment)
My 1967 T100r Daytona

My 2014 RE GT

My 1982 XL185

My TU250 that is being replaced by the CBR300 due to a deer strike

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A couple more of my Honda's...

1994 XR650L

2001 XR400R

Attachments

Reactions: corb

·
Premium Member
5,341 Posts
Thought I'd revive this old thread as there's some cool shots of other members bikes on here inc Motomike's collection.
Plus it would be cool to see some new shots of whats lurking in members garages or just pics of your 300.

Here's a pic of my 2004 XR250. Great for cutting loose on occasionally.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's a great photo kiwi... looks like you've got yourself a pretty sweet off road riding area there.

I had forgotten all about this thread, I'm glad you dug it up.

I had started this thread back in the early days of this website, before the CBR300R was available to buy (amid all the delays). You may have noticed that prior to jkilla adding the pic's of his bikes more recently, there wasn't much in this thread aside from my bikes. Most of the other members back in those early days of the website were actually paid content writers working for VS, most of whom didn't even own a motorcycle.

Anyway, I'll have to look around this Other Bikes forum to see if there are other posts and threads that can be merged into this one now that there is more content on the site. I'll change the title of this thread as well, so as to keep it about bikes other than the CBR300R & CB300F.

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Registered
225 Posts
My Nighthawk, R6, and Speed Triple. Didn't have a photo of my old BMW R65LS handy. Sorry for repeat of Speedy from other thread.
BK what year is that R6? It looks almost exactly like my '09. I loved the gold spokes on the blue

1 - 20 of 56 Posts