Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like how quiet the stock exhaust is, but I think being a tiny bit louder would be nice. What I am more interested in is something lighter, thinner, and hopefully cooler. Right now I find this exhaust bulky for city riding (mainly going around stopped cars and going up and down the curb at my house to park. In Philly double parked cars are a dime a dozen, so filtering passed on a moto is very convenient.

What I would like most is something cooler(temp). I park in front of my house on the sidewalk, next to my steps. There are young children who play on my block and I am concerned they may go near it or fall and go to balance and get burned by the pipe. I was thinking that a heat wrap may be good for this since it should be a lot less hot after my normal commutes and I can choose a color to make the exhaust (meaning a lot less money than buying a colored exhaust that I like).

Any ideas? Right now I was thinking of doing the GRP Albus since it is white and has a DB killer in it, but that cost is pretty high for something I don't know the sound of. I like that form factor as well, rather than the typical cylinder. I am fine with getting a lighter exhaust thats a cylinder and doesn't look nice since wrapping it wouldn't be a problem either.

I dunno. I'm breaking the cheap/light/durable rule on this I guess.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I agree it does get very hot, I have walk past my bike and not realizing how close i was i burnt my trousers. I think i gets so hot because of the catalytic converter being inside of the muffler. I do like the sound of my bike i just would like it a little louder as-well. I am even thinking of experimenting with the muffler by taking the catalytic converter out and that may make it a bit louder and i might not get so hot.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Go with a Scorpion, I really like mine and is the only aftermarket that I have ever gotten for street use. I don't like noisy exhaust or the maintenance that they require. Half the weight with a stainless while the Ti or Carbon will be even less. It is the only street legal aftermarket exhaust in the EU which would also qualify it for the US if they pay the fees. A little louder then stock and cooler. Also don't need to repack, it is lifetime...all other aftermarket will need to be repack about every 5k miles street riding and 10-20hours racing. As the packing goes they get louder and louder. All exhaust with a catalyst in it will run very hot, while non catalyst will be less hot..still hot but less.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
leo vince has a nice slip-on, also eu approved, but some usa
states require replacements with cats to have cats..

stock muffler cannister with cat gets too, hot.. burn you hot..
which is a real problem if say, bike drops on your leg
or your pillions leg, not to mention children etc..

the lv will be louder.. but has db killers inlet and exit..
you can ride it for less noise [which is a learning experience]
but overtaking and similar loading will create noise..

for me the compromise didnt include being burned
placing rear disc lock etc, so a lv carbon slip on
did the trick.. way, lighter, matches black bike etc..

EVO II E-Approved LV One (NEW) - LeoVince

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Go with a Scorpion, I really like mine and is the only aftermarket that I have ever gotten for street use. I don't like noisy exhaust or the maintenance that they require. Half the weight with a stainless while the Ti or Carbon will be even less. It is the only street legal aftermarket exhaust in the EU which would also qualify it for the US if they pay the fees. A little louder then stock and cooler. Also don't need to repack, it is lifetime...all other aftermarket will need to be repack about every 5k miles street riding and 10-20hours racing. As the packing goes they get louder and louder. All exhaust with a catalyst in it will run very hot, while non catalyst will be less hot..still hot but less.
I was excited with this since I watched couple videos and it seemed perfect... until I saw the price. A bit out of my range.

·
Registered
487 Posts
All high end exhaust are expensive. What I like about the Scorpion is that it doesn't use the band strap that everyone else uses to hold the can. It actually has a mount. Those band straps makes an exhaust look cheap...some full exhaust systems can be $1k but still uses those **** cheap looking bands.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
bear in mind tho the strap mount allows positioning changes
plus some small movement if impacted, such as my cbr250r
when hit at low speed by a car [enough to move her half a metre]
leaving a white paint mark but surprisingly no damage to its
carbon casing..

to each their own of course,, but for me the lv carbon s/o
only looked 'great' on black beauty, incl the black strap..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So would it be better to buy a full system if it is only $50 more? Any benefits over just the slip on? I was riding with a friend today and he had a nice Two Brothers exhaust. It wasn't too loud in the rev area I typically ride on the streets, so I was thinking of getting either the full system or just the slip-on.

I figured I can budget a bit higher since I just got a big overtime check and don't have anything else I need to spend my "expendable savings" (my savings just for tinkering) on.

edit: Still on the fence. Two Brother Slip-On (Plus P1x Power tip) @ $580 vs Yoshi Carbon @ $450 vs Yoshi Stainless @ $360. I can't seem to find weights of these anywhere. Amazon shows a shipping weight, but they are pretty jumpy (i.e. the stainless yoshi is 2 lb lighter than the carbon yoshi). The Yoshi also says intended for track use only, though I doubt 90% of their buyers are using it for track only.

edit 2: Weights I've found (slip on section only): Stock @ 12lb; 2BR @ 4lb; Yoshi Stainless @ 6lb; Yoshi Carbon @ ??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Most all after market exhaust are not street legal meaning they are too loud. Guess the only ones that are are the Scorpion and the LV, both of which have the DB insert at both ends of the can.
I forgot about this when I raised my budget. I've been watching your how to vids about the 300F and am going to start doing some of my own work on it after watching your vids. I don't have any way of lifting my bike just yet, though, so I will mostly just be doing simple things like new air filter, oil change, and the exhaust add-on.

edit: Did you go with the titanium or stainless?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Get a Scorpion slip on. Got one on my 300R. Took the baffles out & it's noisy but not as bad as some other bikes on the road. Rode it past police & they "didn't even bat an eyelid". Put the baffles back in & it's quite quiet.

The exhaust is so much lighter than stock & looks the business.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Get a Scorpion slip on. Got one on my 300R. Took the baffles out & it's noisy but not as bad as some other bikes on the road. Rode it past police & they "didn't even bat an eyelid". Put the baffles back in & it's quite quiet.

The exhaust is so much lighter than stock & looks the business.
Awesome! Thanks. I'll probably be going Scorpion then. My only decision now it Ti or Carbon.

·
Registered
172 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Zac! While I really like the 2BR I think the Scorpion is what I really want in terms of sound and look.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I got the SS, wasn't sure how it would run and didn't want to spend that little bit of extra for a Ti. If I had known that it runs great I would of gotten the Ti instead of the SS. This is my first aftermarket pipe on a street bike and I don't like loud pipes. It has gotten more quite now then when new. I prefer SS or Ti over carbon for the durability. 6lbs is how much the SS is while the Ti and carbon will be even lighter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It has gotten more quite now then when new. I prefer SS or Ti over carbon for the durability. 6lbs is how much the SS is while the Ti and carbon will be even lighter.
Cool. I am going to order the CF tomorrow or Thursday from RevZilla probably. I just like the look better and I think it will go better with any changes I may make in the future.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Made up my mind. The shop I bought my bike from is giving me a deal on a carbon Yoshi for $415, so that's what I'll be getting. I will just use some rev control at night time on the small streets.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts