Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I only got one thing to say.......opps! It sucks.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
If you wanted a lighter sprocket why didn't you go for an aluminium one?
Here's my old and new sprockets on the kitchen scales.
446 grams vs 149 grams (sorry I don't understand lbs) so it's 66% lighter or one third of the weight of the steel one.

sprocket 002.JPG

sprocket 003.JPG

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had aluminum before they just don't last long enough for me. My last one had less then 2k miles and looked like my steel one with 30k miles. Your weight is in line with Al being 1/3 the weight of steel. If some one made a Ti 6/4 I would buy it, should be about half the weight and last a while too.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
You must have got a sh1t quality one. Mine has 8K miles on it and no sign of wear or hooking at all.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
If you wanted a lighter sprocket why didn't you go for an aluminium one?
Here's my old and new sprockets on the kitchen scales.
446 grams vs 149 grams (sorry I don't understand lbs) so it's 66% lighter or one third of the weight of the steel one.

View attachment 11914

View attachment 11922
How well does the aluminum one wear tho? I would think the sprockets would wear quicker

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
See post # 6 above....:)

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
You must have got a sh1t quality one. Mine has 8K miles on it and no sign of wear or hooking at all.
How well does the aluminum one wear tho? I would think the sprockets would wear quicker
All maintenance factors (cleaning, lubrication, and chain free play) being equal, a quality aluminum sprocket will have a shorter service life as compared to one made of steel. But, where kiwi has 8K miles on his (with more miles to go), some guys are lucky to get that same mileage from a steel sprocket on these bikes. Hard to believe that some owners never do any chain maintenance.

But as kiwi said, it really depends on the quality of the sprocket... the better aluminum sprockets will be made with a heat treated, hardened alloy that is appropriate to a motorcycle application. And good quality aluminum rear sprockets are expensive.

Rear sprockets made of aluminum are generally not used on everyday street bikes... although you will see them on dedicated track bikes. However the main application for aluminum rear sprockets is on Off Road & Dual Sport bikes. Of course front sprockets are always made of steel.

Reactions: mikal

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Yes, they aren't real cheap at $50 plus $14 for Hardkote option (I didn't go for this) but I'm really happy with the lack of wear.
I am reasonably hot on chain maintenance. I always clean my sprocket teeth with a toothbrush at same time. Approx every 500km (300 miles)

CBR250 R (11-13)

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
For all the improvements you'll get out of that, maybe you should just skip a meal before you go riding!:laugh:
Yes I see your point. But hey, we all need a hobby. :laugh:

Bike lightening is a collective accumulation of small gains over a number of parts.
If you looked at each part in isolation and what you were going to gain from modifying or swapping that part for a lighter one then you probably wouldn't bother in a lot of cases.
Unless it's a real no-brainer like changing the muffler of course. :D

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
However with all this lightening of said motorcycle.......won't that make it more prone to cross winds and turbulence from large trucks?????

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
However with all this lightening of said motorcycle.......won't that make it more prone to cross winds and turbulence from large trucks?????
Sure but the 300R is already susceptible to this. A light bike with a full fairing is never a good mix for cross winds.
I'm not bothered enough to buy a Harley tho :D

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
I had aluminum before they just don't last long enough for me. My last one had less then 2k miles and looked like my steel one with 30k miles. Your weight is in line with Al being 1/3 the weight of steel. If some one made a Ti 6/4 I would buy it, should be about half the weight and last a while too.
After 12K miles, lots of wear left yet.
I rest my case. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Sure but the 300R is already susceptible to this. A light bike with a full fairing is never a good mix for cross winds.
I'm not bothered enough to buy a Harley tho :D
My XJ900 was the version with a handlebar-mounted bikini fairing. Now, if there was a bike designed to scare the faeces out of you in crosswinds or turbulence, that's the one :eek:

I fondly recall one death-weave that set in around 120mph on a long, straight country road near Canberra. It got my full attention.

You know, I really shouldn't try top-speed runs on my bikes. So far, I have had a front tyre deflate at 150mph on a GSX1100F, a mental head shake at 120mph on the XJ900 and the chain snap and wrap itself around the rear sprocket as I slowed from 175mph on my ZZR1100. That's three lives used up, right there.

:D

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
JNO.. you got what 6 lives left?.....Good thing you went with a smaller bike!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts