Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, recently I’ve been able to take the highway to work, which equates to only about 5-15 min of 60-80mph each way. With relatively calm winds it’s been fine and enjoyable.

I currently live in Chicago, with my family on the east side of Michigan, and I was thinking about making my next trip back on the bike. It’s roughly 300 miles, 5-6 hours depending on traffic.

other than the discomfort associated with riding a small bike that far, any reason I shouldn’t do this? Figure I would stop ever couple of hours to give myself a break and lube the chain once I get there. I’ve become confident with highway riding and there is some awesome riding to be done along Lake Huron

·
Registered
19 Posts
That little motor is perfectly capable of humming along at high RPMs for extended periods of time. I've done upwards of 500 all-highway miles in a day and my CB was a champ. Lubing the chain multiple times might even be overkill. I just do it once before I leave, and then again once I'm home. Your bike will be fine, but YOU definitely should give yourself a rest a time or two on the way.

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
Yep, your good to go. I did a few multi day tours on my CBR riding 6 - 8 hrs each day. One of them was 3000 miles or so. I would fit a 15 tooth front sprocket if you havent already done so. This will lower your cruising revs making it more comfortable and better fuel economy. I just lubed the chain at the end of each days ride which was generally 300 - 400 miles. You can get those small size cans of chain lube that tuck under the pillion seat nicely with a pair of disposable gloves and a rag. Belray do their 'super clean' in a 175ml can.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I figured I would just lube it once when I got to my parents. When you replace the front sprocket for that purpose, doesn’t it affect overall top speed? I’ve read on here about changing it to get more out of first gear so you’re not shifting as soon.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Any change of sprockets is a compromise of sorts. And Honda engineers have spent countless hours trying to find the best combination of sprockets for their bikes, not just the CB300. Kiwi's suggestion will lower the engine RPM at road/cruising speeds. That's where you'll be for extended periods of any trip. Not so at "top speed" which will come in short bursts, and seldom.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Sure. Based on previous discussions in this Forum, the majority of those making this sprocket change believe the benefits are greater than the costs. That's really the only thing I'm basing my opinion on. I'm sure others could argue, with just as valid reasons, to either leave it alone, or make some other change. We could have the same discussion on tire size or brand. It's really about personal preference.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since I don’t plan on making this trip often I don’t know if this would be worth it for me. But with a 15t would that lower starting torque in first gear? I would enjoy shifting later, but it seems as though it doesn’t give more than a mph more before 2nd. Like I said I’m in Chicago so it is beneficial to get off the line quickly

·
Registered
358 Posts
The 15T front makes the overall gearing much more friendly. No problems starting off with a 15T. Since fitting mine nearly three years ago I have never wanted the 14 back. Speedo reads much closer to real speed too. With a 15T cruising at 70 mph is at 7K revs, 80 mph at 8K revs etc. With a 14T when you start off you need to change up before you have really got moving. The 15T makes the start much smoother. ( Mine is a CBR300R by the way but no difference engine wise.)

·
Registered
2017 Honda CB300FAH (ABS)
14 Posts
I'd worry more about your back side than the bike ;). It's hardly the iron butt challenge, but 300 miles / 5 - 6 hours is still a long ride on the CB seat. Good luck.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have done 6 hour trip (3 hours each way on the same day) It made me sore my back, legs, arms, hands. It was doable but uncomfortable. But the next morning I woke up healed and recovered. Make sure to bring a flat tire repair kit with Co2 cartridges so you dont get stranded in the middle of nowhere.

And I would recommend you to wear full safety gear and maybe even an orange construction workers vest.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have done 220 miles without stopping on a ride round our twisty roads and had no aches. Only stopped then for a coffee but as I got off noticed the cafe was closed so got back on and continued the other 35 miles home.

·
Registered
5 Posts
At highway (interstate) speeds, above 60mph, my 300F becomes very squirrelly. Not sure why but it feels like l’m riding kite.

·
Registered
297 Posts
At highway (interstate) speeds, above 60mph, my 300F becomes very squirrelly. Not sure why but it feels like l’m riding kite.
Wind and/or buffeting from other vehicles, I'd hazard to guess (assuming no mechanical issues). I always said my 300F was happier below 60 mph than above. That arbitrary distinction didn't move too much higher with my new SV.... Maybe the 80mph mark. Someday I'll have something actually happy on the interstate, or with fairings.. :rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts