Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a surf session I dropped my keys in the water. Does anyone know if the keys have a chip? I called the Honda motorcycle q/a and they said to ask the dealer. I called the dealer, but they said I am the second owner and do not keep the key code on file, and not sure about chip. Is my only option taking off the ignition and to a lock smith...If so, is there a video or diagram or schematics or anything to help. I found one video on a 600, it doesn't look too complicated. Also does the bike in lock position hinder taking the ignition off?
Any info will help, Thanks.

btw, be sure too have extra keys made, learned my lesson...:(

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
After a surf session I dropped my keys in the water. Does anyone know if the keys have a chip? I called the Honda motorcycle q/a and they said to ask the dealer. I called the dealer, but they said I am the second owner and do not keep the key code on file, and not sure about chip. Is my only option taking off the ignition and to a lock smith...If so, is there a video or diagram or schematics or anything to help. I found one video on a 600, it doesn't look too complicated. Also does the bike in lock position hinder taking the ignition off?
Any info will help, Thanks.

btw, be sure too have extra keys made, learned my lesson...:(
Going to a locksmith is probably your best bet... unless you want to spend the money to replace the ignition switch, as well as the fuel cap and the passenger seat lock set, so that you would have a key which operates all three locks.

So when you bought the bike, did the original owner not have a second key to give you? (Like new cars, all new motorcycles come with two keys).

I'm always amazed at how many original owners who are selling a bike do not have the spare key (or the Owners Manual) for the bike.

·
Registered
96 Posts
should have, could have, would have?

Just for some background my cb300f keys of which I bought the bike new this past spring, there is a small looks like aluminum key code tag about 1" long x maybe 3/16" wide that came with the keys & mine is an 8 digit all numerical code, there is no identifying code whatsoever on either key, the ignition switch itself is stamped with 4 digit code all alpha characters, the fuel cap has no identifier on the top end but I did not take the cap off

since the fuel cap is a spare part & if it had to be replaced how would they know how to match it up with the existing ignition switch key pattern, so there must be an identifier code somewhere or maybe the the fuel cap replacement just comes with a set of keys? IDK sorry

there is a guy I have delt with before for spare nos keys for my 74 cb450, hondakeys.com however his web site says he only deals with classics 60's & 70's, but I'll bet he could at least give you some direction, just send him an email see if he can advise?

second suggest just call the dealership likely not the first time they have seen this with a bike?

ride safe

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
... since the fuel cap is a spare part & if it had to be replaced how would they know how to match it up with the existing ignition switch key pattern, so there must be an identifier code somewhere or maybe the the fuel cap replacement just comes with a set of keys? IDK sorry...
This is the way it works: If you order a replacement fuel cap, it will come with its own set of keys. Same deal if you order a replacement ignition switch, or if you order a new passenger seat lock... each would come with its own set of keys.

If you order a complete lock set (ignition switch, fuel cap, pass. seat lock), they will all be keyed alike. So you will get one set of keys that work in all three locks. Not cheap though... the complete lock set will set you back $225 USD, and that's the online discounted price. Full retail is $327 USD. http://www.hondaeasttoledo.net/OEMp...RIDGE/CBR300R-15-THA-2A/2Y14K33F11AK334F0700A

·
Registered
141 Posts
When I bought mine it came with two keys, and on one of the key chains was a small silver tag (as mentioned earlier) with a code on it. The dealer specifically told me to make sure I never lose that little tag, because it's the only way to identify the key. They can't replace a key just by VIN#. If I ever need a new key, I just take that little tag to the dealer, they go in to their files, and have a new key made for me. If you don't have that little tag, I'd suggest contacting the previous owner about it.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
OP has not logged in since 1st post......who knows if he will be back.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
OP has not logged in since 1st post......who knows if he will be back.
Aint it funny how people often sign up, post one question then dissapear into the ether never to be heard from again...
Whats that old English expression 'There's naught so strange as folk' :laugh:

·
Registered
401 Posts
I was told my keys are chipped here in the UK, over a hundred quid to replace if lost. :eek:

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
What honestly annoys me is that a person will post on the site and ask for help with a certain issue with their Honda 300. May be it is just me but they do not introduce themselves or give you any idea where they live so to me it is a bit rude.(Yeah I know I'm strange) Asking for help does not bother me..I do not mind helping any one at any time. But what does annoy me is as you (Kiwi) mentioned above...the person gets advice or answers to their problem (Forum members have taken their time to help that person out) and the original poster does not respond with a thank you or "Kiss my a$$."

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
still theres value for others with similar questions
or just adding to the existing bank of knowledge..

once you have your new key, or if you have only
x keys, take one into your friendly locksmith
to have spares cut, just in case..
my lockie charged me $8 each on good blanks..

one goes into the rear compartment of my helmet,
poked into the foam and out of the way/sight and wont
come out unless intentional.. thus its always with me..
others are secured around the place..
some have made hiding places on their bikes..
or wear a spare around their neck as jewelery, etc..

one of those things you dont need,
until its not there..

·
Registered
10 Posts
It may be that the OP doesn't know there are answers. For many forums it is default to have an email be sent when there is a reply to your post. In our forum here the default is not to send the email. I was surprised after I did not get an email and went looking for answers to my question.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
What honestly annoys me is that a person will post on the site and ask for help with a certain issue with their Honda 300. May be it is just me but they do not introduce themselves or give you any idea where they live so to me it is a bit rude.(Yeah I know I'm strange) Asking for help does not bother me..I do not mind helping any one at any time. But what does annoy me is as you (Kiwi) mentioned above...the person gets advice or answers to their problem (Forum members have taken their time to help that person out) and the original poster does not respond with a thank you or "Kiss my a$$."
Oh don't worry, he'll be back when he can't shift into 1st gear, or perhaps when he can't figure out how to check the crankcase oil level. :rolleyes:

Anyway, it's not that unusual for some of these new members to the site to go straight to posting a problem/issue with their bike (we've seen it a lot on the CBR250R site), and not follow up with a "thanks for the replies" post. We see this more often with younger members, who as Mark65 said, simply haven't been taught basic manners or common courtesy. It's unfortunate, but just seems to be the way things are today.

The way I look at it, is if the OP of a thread doesn't bother to come back to the site to even read a reply post that I've taken the time to write, I can't assume that my time and effort was wasted... someone else reading it may find the info I posted to be useful or helpful. And that's all that matters.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Not worth getting annoyed over it m8, not everyone gets taught simple manners anymore, chill and have a cup of tea, solves all problems it does. :D
You Sir are 100 % correct. I am a bit of a tea-aholic (My Mum was English) and I have had only 2 at the time of my post. I think I will have one now and chill.:laugh:

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Motomike..You are correct in your above post.. I had not thought the reasoning through..thanks. Again..lack of therapeutic tea.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Ended up getting a locksmith, it cost me 120 bucks. There are no chips in the keys and he made the duplicate straight from the ignition in 15 minutes. The other option was to take the ignition off myself and key guy said he would cut cost in half. Thanks for all the info, was in a panic on this post. ended up reading a few other threads for maintenance and such. Sorry for late reply, been busy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i can ride, i lost my keys and was basically asking if there was a chip or not, but apparently some people are agro or so bored and post in forums because they have no real life. just answer the fn questions, no one cares about your opinion. facts are whats important. no one answered my question and this foum ended up being useless for this question. Now the answer is here, thanks to me, and you have helped no one. No there are no chips in honda cbr300 keys.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
i can ride, i lost my keys and was basically asking if there was a chip or not, but apparently some people are agro or so bored and post in forums because they have no real life. just answer the fn questions, no one cares about your opinion. facts are whats important. no one answered my question and this foum ended up being useless for this question. Now the answer is here, thanks to me, and you have helped no one. No there are no chips in honda cbr300 keys.
That is complete BS, and you'd know that it's BS had you bothered to read the first page of this thread... your questions were answered in the first few reply posts. Not to mention those answers were posted 6 months ago, when you first started this thread.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts