Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well at least one good thing about freshen up this thread. I just took the aluminium Tag from the key now, would not make much sense if I ever loose the key and the tag with it. :eek: If I ever remember where I put the Tag, should I need it one day, well, that's another question.

I had the same on my other bike a year or two ago. Went to the official Honda dealer in my village, and of course they were no help. I was hoping Honda just keeps a database with frame numbers, engine numbers, and a lot of other stuff, and maybe key numbers. Well I was just tooooo optimistic. However, they just send me to a locksmith in the villag, he took a blank key, it took him less than 5 min, and worked for all three locks, cost was ~10US$ for the 2 keys I ordered. Needless to say, I found the original a few months later in a pocket of my jacket....

Now the CBR key looks a bit longer and might be a bit more complicated, but I bet if he got the blank key, he can do it in less than 10 min.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
A Honda dealer would only have their own data base of VIN's (Frame Serial Number) and Engine Serial Numbers for motorcycles that they sold through their dealership, and Honda Motor Co. would have a similar data base for all the bikes they build. However neither Honda or it's dealers maintain a data base of ignition key codes for specific bike VIN's, for the fairly obvious reason of security. Think about it... if would-be thief's were able to walk into a dealership with nothing more than the VIN from a motorcycle (ie. YOUR motorcycle) and then walk out with a freshly cut key, how secure would we be about finding our bikes where we last parked them?

People just need to smarten up a bit when it comes to vehicle keys. It's pretty simple... when you buy a new bike or car, you get at least 2 keys (I know Honda cars now come with 3 keys, 1 being a Valet key). If you lose one of the original keys, common sense would dictate that you get a copy made ASAP from the remaining key. To not do so and then lose the second key is nothing short of dumb ass stupidity.

Reactions: Jang Humpen

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
As soon as I recieved the bike new I took the spare key and taped it to the inside of the fairing with wide duct tape. You cant see it from any angle.
So now I have piece of mind if I'm away from hm on tour and lose my #1 key.
@Joe Fussner It's nice to know that you can ride, I think your first reply would have sufficed, we didnt require the agro version 15 minutes later. You would have been better off using that time to make a nice calming cup of chamomile tea. :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
I lost once a key in front of a supermarket in China, couldn't find it anywhere. So into a taxi, back to the hotel, getting the second key, picking up the bike. The next trip was straight to a market, where I found an old man with some kinda key copy equipment, all hand operated. Copy of the key wasn't even 1$.

That's a pretty cool idea to duct tape it into the fairing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
After a surf session I dropped my keys in the water. Does anyone know if the keys have a chip? I called the Honda motorcycle q/a and they said to ask the dealer. I called the dealer, but they said I am the second owner and do not keep the key code on file, and not sure about chip. Is my only option taking off the ignition and to a lock smith...If so, is there a video or diagram or schematics or anything to help. I found one video on a 600, it doesn't look too complicated. Also does the bike in lock position hinder taking the ignition off?
Any info will help, Thanks.

btw, be sure too have extra keys made, learned my lesson...:(
After a surf session I dropped my keys in the water. Does anyone know if the keys have a chip? I called the Honda motorcycle q/a and they said to ask the dealer. I called the dealer, but they said I am the second owner and do not keep the key code on file, and not sure about chip. Is my only option taking off the ignition and to a lock smith...If so, is there a video or diagram or schematics or anything to help. I found one video on a 600, it doesn't look too complicated. Also does the bike in lock position hinder taking the ignition off?

I’m just now going through the same situation 😅 answer me this though? Did that new key work for all three locks?

·
Registered
3 Posts
As soon as I recieved the bike new I took the spare key and taped it to the inside of the fairing with wide duct tape. You cant see it from any angle.
So now I have piece of mind if I'm away from hm on tour and lose my #1 key.

@Joe Fussner It's nice to know that you can ride, I think your first reply would have sufficed, we didnt require the agro version 15 minutes later. You would have been better off using that time to make a nice calming cup of chamomile tea. :D
Awesome idea! I’m going to have to try this! Thanks💙

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
There's nowt as queer as folk...from my boyhood memory in Lancashire.
Haha nice one, you tidied it up for me. What bought you to this thread, lost your keys perhaps?

I've had a couple of bikes since the CBR and I'm still duct taping the spare key inside the fairing but have never needed to use it yet touch wood. Obviously I have the key code tag in a safe place at home. I think my Aprilia key has a chip in it.
Some people cant bear the thought of having the spare key on the bike from a security point of view but bike theft is (luckily) pretty rare where I live and travel to on the bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, my daughter’s bike. Long off season here in Canada. We both got our licenses together year and a half ago. Was a bucket list thing for me, which she joined in. Found her a 2012 CBR 250R ABS with only 200km from new. Got an 86 bmw K75C for me. Hit a deer last June doing 80km/h. Now riding a 2000 bmw R1100R. Lots of fun except for lost Honda key. Dealer wants to order key set for the 3 locks and 4 hours labour @ $110 CAD per hour. Going to go the locksmith route if can’t find key.

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
Welcome to the boards. I know all about the long off season down here but probably not as harsh as yours. Global warming is having a positive effect on my local climate, we've just had the best summer ever.
That's incredible finding a CBR250 with only 200k's on it. I had one of the 250's before the 300, it actually had the sweeter running motor of the two even though it was less power.
Good luck with the locksmith.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts