Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys think it is worth it to use a magnetic drain plug??? (to catch metal filings?)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Do you guys think it is worth it to use a magnetic drain plug??? (to catch metal filings?)
If you can get one cheap, and it's a straight swap, why not?

They do capture metal if there is any, though how effectively I don't know. I can't think of a downside.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
They're a good idea, some of the machinery i service has them fitted standard. Always interesting to see how much and what is attached to the plug.
Getting one the right size would be the issue. It's only an M12 thread on our bikes so the diameter of the magnet would not be able to be any bigger than 10mm or it would foul the thread.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies..:)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Just a thought: obviously, a magnet will only capture ferrous metals. I'm not sure where non-ferrous metals might be used in 'wear zones' though. Main bearings perhaps?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Just a thought: obviously, a magnet will only capture ferrous metals. I'm not sure where non-ferrous metals might be used in 'wear zones' though. Main bearings perhaps?
Magnetic sump plugs tend to be used in transmissions and final drives (diffs) where there are a whole bunch of ferrous gears meshing together.

The engine is primarily made of aluminum, except for the crank, rings, gudgeon/wrist pins, valves, timing chain and sprockets.
I'm guessing the main bearings would be made from stainless steel (cages) and alloy steels (inner and outer races and the balls) so may not be magnetic.

Obviously the gear box is sharing the same oil tho as its a motorcycle, so that would be good enough reason to use a magnetic sump plug IMO.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I put in a magnetic plug on my first oil change around 400 miles. I recently changed the oil at about 1500 miles and there were tiny bits of metal on the magnet. Enough for me to wipe with a rag and see it on the rag. I expect to see less and less at each oil change. I wanted it in there as soon as I could for the break-in.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
I put in a magnetic plug on my first oil change around 400 miles. I recently changed the oil at about 1500 miles and there were tiny bits of metal on the magnet. Enough for me to wipe with a rag and see it on the rag. I expect to see less and less at each oil change. I wanted it in there as soon as I could for the break-in.
Maybe you could put a link up for others Mikal.

Reactions: mikal

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Some times I wish I lived in the States.......:) They won't ship to me in Canada.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Seems like a gimmick to me. If there are metal filings in your oil you have bigger issues than what a magnet would rectify. During break-in periods it may happen marginally but yeah, gimmick-ville in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BK...Good point.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Seems like a gimmick to me. If there are metal filings in your oil you have bigger issues than what a magnet would rectify. During break-in periods it may happen marginally but yeah, gimmick-ville in my opinion.
But they DO work - I have seen it myself many times. I don't think the presence of said particles indicates a problem, because virtually every magnetic plug I have withdrwan had some metal attached. Whether the particles the plugs collect would have done any damage if left in the oil is the question. It surely can't be a bad thing to take out metal particles from oil that is traveling through all the engine's moving parts.

Reactions: shisoshin and mikal

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
I would use one, Ive seen a lot of stuff attached to them over the years and it's better down there then floating around in your oil.

Will see if I can source one locally. I wouldn't pay $50 either.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I would use one, Ive seen a lot of stuff attached to them over the years and it's better down there then floating around in your oil.

Will see if I can source one locally. I wouldn't pay $50 either.
Woah $50? I bought mine on ebay for like $8 with a crush washer. I forgot you are in NZ tho. The shipping for this 1 I bought is $21 to NZ. You should be able to find 1 locally cheap.

This is the one I bought on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnetic-Oi...BR600-5-302-/301149009339?hash=item461de135bb

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Still even with that price above (E Bay) it would cost me at least $30.00 CDN. I might with the dealer and see what they can find.. (probably alot more...)

OK Mike..not a peep from you on this thread...curious what is your opinion om Magnetic drain plugs.......

Reactions: mikal

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
I use them in my bikes.

Reactions: CDNHONDAR

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks very much for your opinion......

1 - 20 of 21 Posts