Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,014 Posts
I have my opinion about things, but,
On number 4, I'd encourage you to try it for a change.
Seeing it's a single cylinder, it might need less oil than a twin. 1oz per 2 gal perhaps...
Seems like you know a thing or two about bikes, so if it'd not work well, you could always undo it with Seafoam.
2stroke oil in petrol?

What would it do to the fuel injectors and the catalytic converter?
This topic is covered in another thread started by MeeLee: http://www.cbr300forum.com/forum/other-bikes/12593-add-performance-engine-life-2-stroke-oil-2.html

Let's take the two-stroke premix oil discussion back to that thread, and keep this one on topic please.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
altho all motorcycles have their purpose and place etc,
[check out even just the honda model lineup]
i for one admit to never having wished i was riding
a 'cruiser' or any other motorcycle, while passing thru
the cafe street area, just down from my place..

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
altho all motorcycles have their purpose and place etc,
[check out even just the honda model lineup]
i for one admit to never having wished i was riding
a 'cruiser' or any other motorcycle, while passing thru
the cafe street area, just down from my place..
That's because you're missing the point. Cruisers are basically a fashion accessory, and an important part of achieving a certain 'badass' style. :D

That's why many cruiser riders put incredibly noisy straight pipes on them, otherwise people might not look at them as they ride past.

Oh, and don't forget the Ray Bans, open-face helmet and pretend gang patches on your jacket. It also helps achieve 'the look' if you don't shave that morning.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
point is i couldnt give a rats arse about what the rabble
thinks, especially about my motorcycle..

'badass' sounds like some advertising nothingness..
this poor fool hasnt shaven since about 22yrs of age..
[weekly head tidy with the clippers on number 2]

there are genes for display, which when known are
simply there, not in charge of anything..

being glare effected i wear sunnies all the time..
wouldnt ride with other than a good full face helmet tho,,
probably expression of a gene for self preservation..

its all just the passing parade mate..
they come and go..
free entertainment..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
One of the reasons I was considering the Vulcan 500 is because it has a longer wheelbase than the Ninja and other sport bikes and standard bikes of that size. I read somewhere that longer wheelbase makes a bike more stable on the highway. (I'm thinking about Kiwi Rider's comment about the 300f needing constant adjustment/input on the Interstate, and hoping to avoid some of that). Is this false?

·
Banned
777 Posts
Just as long as they don't look down on you, because you don't have a harley...
And the only ones that get praise, are those that have more ccs than them, on their Harley, making their 800lbs 2.4 liter bikes so heavy, they're only ridden twice a year, in the summer, on a parade, right before their annual maintenance, which is draining perfectly good oil with 50 miles on it, and a new battery.

They need truck sized gas tanks, because at 25mpg they barely make 150 miles on their 7 gal tanks.

Rest of the year, the bike is locked up in the shack, because it's a pain to ride.

No, give me a 350lbs 'toy' to ride any day then!

·
Banned
777 Posts
One of the reasons I was considering the Vulcan 500 is because it has a longer wheelbase than the Ninja and other sport bikes and standard bikes of that size. I read somewhere that longer wheelbase makes a bike more stable on the highway. (I'm thinking about Kiwi Rider's comment about the 300f needing constant adjustment/input on the Interstate, and hoping to avoid some of that). Is this false?
Longer wheel base is only part of the equation.
On a 348lbs bike, longer wheelbase could actually make it worse.
The only reason why it would make it better, is when weight is also increased.
Since increasing weight is undesirable, you can do 2 things that help more than wheelbase:
Increase wheel diameter, or, use heavier rims.
Nothing beats increasing stability, than increasing centrifugal force on the wheels.
Some dude on tv a few years was very sensitive to this, and had a solid rear rim cast (no spokes, but one solid rim) especially for himself.
I don't know... wind on a bicycle tosses you around a lot more than on a motorcycle.
I never had issues with stability with anything save for my 63cc scooter and 25mph lateral wind gusts.
Any other bike moves me 1 to 2 ft sideways at most on the interstate.

·
Super Moderator
5,704 Posts
Longer wheel base is only part of the equation.
On a 348lbs bike, longer wheelbase could actually make it worse.
The only reason why it would make it better, is when weight is also increased.
I dont want to get into some silly internet argument with you MeeLee but anyone who has experience with motorcycles knows that longer wheel base equals increased stability regardless of the bikes weight.
For this reason supersports have a shorter wheel base so they can turn quicker.

As an example: The CBR600RR has a shorter wheelbase than the CBR300R by .4 of an inch (going off Powersports Honda specs.)

At the other end of the spectrum the old Ducati's and Moto Guzzis were known for their legendary 'on rails' handling when the Japanese were still catching up on frame technology. A lot of this stability came from their long wheelbases.

I can see you are a lateral thinker MeeLee but accuracy is important on websites too. :)

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
That's because you're missing the point. Cruisers are basically a fashion accessory, and an important part of achieving a certain 'badass' style. :D

That's why many cruiser riders put incredibly noisy straight pipes on them, otherwise people might not look at them as they ride past.

Oh, and don't forget the Ray Bans, open-face helmet and pretend gang patches on your jacket. It also helps achieve 'the look' if you don't shave that morning.
Let us not forget this...."the look"

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I'm guessing MeeLee is 17 years old, based on his confident knowledge of everything. All his often dubious statements are delivered as though fact, with no "I think" or "Perhaps..."

Few of them pass the sniff test and some are downright ludicrous. That's OK, we all have our opinions, but on a site that is often visited by newbies on the lookout for solid help and advice, I believe it's important to distinguish between belief and fact.

·
Banned
777 Posts
I dont want to get into some silly internet argument with you MeeLee but anyone who has experience with motorcycles knows that longer wheel base equals increased stability regardless of the bikes weight.
For this reason supersports have a shorter wheel base so they can turn quicker.

As an example: The CBR600RR has a shorter wheelbase than the CBR300R by .4 of an inch (going off Powersports Honda specs.)

At the other end of the spectrum the old Ducati's and Moto Guzzis were known for their legendary 'on rails' handling when the Japanese were still catching up on frame technology. A lot of this stability came from their long wheelbases.

I can see you are a lateral thinker MeeLee but accuracy is important on websites too. :)
Longer wheelbase could translate into larger surface to collect sidewinds, in which case it would be worse...

·
Banned
777 Posts
Hey Kiwi,
You mentioned that above 6k rpm, vibrations increase. Does it increase continuously more the higher the rpm, or is it more like a vibration sweetspot around the 6-7k rpm, that lessens at higher rpms?

·
Super Moderator
5,704 Posts
Hey Kiwi,
You mentioned that above 6k rpm, vibrations increase. Does it increase continuously more the higher the rpm, or is it more like a vibration sweetspot around the 6-7k rpm, that lessens at higher rpms?
Seems to taper off after 7k. I don't take too much notice of it these days. Its well livable.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Wow, thanks for detailed reply. I was afraid that every CB300 is as bad as mine. I'll definitely check the cowl; however, most likely my handguards were the root cause for excessive handlebar vibration. Can't wait until spring to test the bike.
Enjoy your new ride.
Follow-up on my previous post: I've removed hand guards and re-installed original handlebar weights. Today we've had a beautiful riding weather here in Chicago. I managed to ride 50 miles or so. Vibration is almost gone. I got my bike back. :).

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have taken one long highway trip on the 300F--2 hours at 75-80 MPH. The wind was tiring, but the riding position was worse IMHO. You are at a constant 10 degree forward lean, putting your full weight on a very small area...the best I can do is about an hour before I have to stop somewhere and walk around or sit on an actual chair for a bit. This would probably be true of most "standard" bikes though. I do not find it unstable at highway speed, and I do a ~10 mile stint on I40 twice a day about 2 or 3 times a week. I even conquered uneven pavement (THAT was a leap of faith the first time!), high winds etc. and don't think it is unmanageable, even for a relative noob. It is a great bike for around town, or even the occasional long (1 or 2 hr) trip on the highway, but I eventually want to get something more comfortable and maybe a bit more powerful.

The other option is to buy a bigger used bike--a Ninja 500 or maybe the cb500f or 500x. But these are heavier and wider. I would really prefer the CB300--unless these long trips will destroy it (or me).
I went and sat on the Africa twin, CTX700 and CB500X (the dealer wouldn't let me test ride them because I haven't had my endorsement long enough) and looked at tons of reviews on the CB500X and NC700X. I think of all of them I preferred the CB500X. 100lbs more than the 300, but with a smoother (from what I hear), more powerful engine and more comfortable seat and seating position. There are also some much taller wind screen and more luggage options. The CTX700 was a close second for me, but I want ABS and a manual transmission, plus I like the styling on the CB500X better. The Africa twin was too big (5'11'', 150 lbs, ~31 in inseam) as I was on my tip-toes. I want to be flat-footed, especially when parking. The CTX has built-in luggage, which is nice as add-on hard cases etc are really expensive, but you can only get ABS with the DCT.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have taken one long highway trip on the 300F--2 hours at 75-80 MPH. The wind was tiring, but the riding position was worse IMHO. You are at a constant 10 degree forward lean, putting your full weight on a very small area...the best I can do is about an hour before I have to stop somewhere and walk around or sit on an actual chair for a bit. It is a great bike for around town, or even the occasional long (1 or 2 hr) trip on the highway, but I eventually want to get something more comfortable and maybe a bit more powerful.

My previous bike was a Honda 650 Deauville. Very comfortable tourer. When I got the CBR300R I was expecting to lose a lot of the comfort factor and have more frequent rests. No such thing. The CBR is more comfortable than the Deauville and I can ride for hours without a break. I do lean forward more too but don't have a problem with this. Last autumn (fall to you over there,:D) I did a 220 mile ride and the only time I got off was to go to a regular cafe for a coffee but as soon as I got off I saw they were closes so I got back on and completed the ride. That stop gave me a break of about 30 seconds. Still felt fresh when I arrived home and would happily done another 100 miles. Bear in mind that I'm not a youngster and suffer with arthritis so the CBR can't be that bad to ride.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts