Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

Making it fit (muffler content)

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  kiwi rider 
#1 ·
I was ready to replace my stock muffler (dings/dents, never liked the size/weight/burn potential), and I had settled on the Leo Vince LV-10. Reviews suggest it’s loud (aren’t they all in the aftermarket), so I planned to get the db killer with it. The db killer is on back order in Canada until the end of the year, which gave me time to come up with a misguided plan. I don’t really like the looks of the LV-10. LV makes nicer looking ones, especially the GP Corsa, but no kit for the CBR300R. They are kind enough to provide tech drawings on their website, so I looked it over and decided that since the Corsa is attached with a strap rather than a fixed mount, I could make it fit the 300. The only catch is that the header pipe on the 300 is a much smaller diameter than on the 500. I ordered it, took it home to eyeball it, and decided I could make it work. There is a bracket sticking inward from the mid-pipe that is perilously close to the tire, so that got cut off (no idea why it’s there, it doesn’t do anything on the 500 either). As for the pipe mismatch, an Emgo muffler reducer (I used two of the three rings) did the trick for pennies. Unlike the LV-10, the Corsa includes a db killer, so it ends up being less money. Unfortunately, the db killer is just a smaller diameter tube for the tailpipe. Not much killing going on. I bought a cheap db killer from Amazon: (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07JL1N1VT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
I tried different positions for the end plug, and it made it reasonably quieter, but I decided to try something else. I moved the plug back to the far end (least restrictive), and wrapped the db killer with a piece of DRC Zeta Silencer Packing. It’s fairly dense, and just once around the tube fit neatly into the muffler. It worked a treat! I just got back from a road test, and it’s slightly louder than stock, but hardly a nuisance. I can detect no difference in performance. Well, it feels a little snappier, but that’s probably my imagination. It’s a very budget-conscious way to make the bike look better, and if LV’s figures and my math are accurate, it is a 4.2 kg weight reduction! With no apologies for the messy garage backdrop, here are the pics:

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.