Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought the 17 cbr300r and the fuel gauge always reads full and I have to put a new chain slide on. If anyone is willing to work on my bike and or teach me a thing or two I would greatly appreciate any help.

·
Registered
242 Posts
How long was your bike sitting unridden before you bought it? It's possible the fuel sending unit/float could stick or gunk up in stale fuel if left for a long time. This happened to a new bike I purchased that had been on the dealers showroom for 10 months before I got it. I added fuel cleaner additive to my first 3 tank refills and the gauge started working, and still works properly. It's a cheap attempt at a fix even if it doesn't work. Either way, my guess is the fuel sending unit float. I have a link below so you can see what I'm talking about. Part # 21.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long was your bike sitting unridden before you bought it? It's possible the fuel sending unit/float could stick or gunk up in stale fuel if left for a long time. This happened to a new bike I purchased that had been on the dealers showroom for 10 months before I got it. I added fuel cleaner additive to my first 3 tank refills and the gauge started working, and still works properly. It's a cheap attempt at a fix even if it doesn't work. Either way, my guess is the fuel sending unit float. I have a link below so you can see what I'm talking about. Part # 21.
I bought the bike off of my cousin with 700 miles on it. She road it once a week. She never even knew the gauge was off but she had dropped it once too. Could that affect the gauge? My uncle rocked the bike back and forth braking it to try and free the float to no avail. What is this product you put in the gas? I will try to do that. I fixed the slide today. It was actually pretty easy how it popped in and all I had to do was remove the sprocket cover. The only other thing that is wrong with it now is the gas gauge and it sucks having to use the Tripometer.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I don't believe dropping the bike had anything to do with the fuel gauge. And please keep in mind, I'm talking in general with what I'm saying... NOT the CBR300R specifically. Any auto parts store or Walmart will have additives for fuel. 'Fuel injector cleaner" or anything labeled as a cleaner. I somewhat follow the recommended directions, but it's not going to hurt if you don't. It could also be something internal. There are several ways a faulty fuel gauge can react. Some will default to read 'full', the other 'empty' all the time. If not a faulty sending unit/float.. it could be a bad or loose electrical connection at the unit and inside the tank. It's a crap shoot. But trying the 'fuel cleaner' will be the easiest and cheapest stab in the dark for a cure...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much my friend. If you are close by and willing to help me diagnose the issue for a couple bucks I would be more than grateful. I will go to Walmart today and get some fuel cleaner. Does it matter the brand? Is there a specific one for motorcycles or is it all the same?

·
Registered
242 Posts
You won't go wrong with any additive suitable for a gasoline engine. Again, it's a cheap shot across the bow. Fingers crossed. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts