Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have mentioned on other threads about how "our" 300's get a bum wrap. To me here is a case in point... 2 similar motorcycles...2 reviews from the same people. 1 motorcycle gets good reviews ( a new model) the other (our 300) gets mediocre reviews..

Sorry but I do not understand the thinking of the media..have a read if you wish and compare the 2..

MotoMike if this thread you feel should be moved..by all means do so..:)

KAWASAKI NINJA 250SL (2015-on) Review | MCN

HONDA CBR300R (2014-on) Review | MCN

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Well, I think their review of the Honda is spot on. That they give the Kawi top marks may come to personal preferences, or where the advertising money is coming from.
Let's not kid ourselves, the Honda 300 is a budget bike. This has to show somehow. I think Honda does a fantastic job in making the bike feel solid enough for the budget price, but it's still a "cheap" bike.
I wish someone would make a small-engine bike that looks/feels top notch. A beautiful swing arm, top quality suspension, etc. Who would be willing to pay for it, though. I wonder how the new BMW 310 is.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah yes good old MCN, meh, ignore them.
Good one Mark you made me laugh...:D

Upon more thinking.. after some more thought I may be able to come to a conclusion..
The Honda 300 (R/F) are marketed as 300cc motorcycles..which they are not in real terms (286cc) short by 14cc and by design single cylinder engines do not rev up or make as much H.P. as say a twin cylinder engine does.

Unfortunately the bikes in the 300 class for the most part are twins and 1 is actually more than 300 cc...321 cc in fact. I am sure if Honda had produced the new 300 series while Kawasaki still had the 250 Ninja perhaps the media would give the Honda a better review.

I guess really those 2 reviews I posted are kind of like apples to oranges. Both bikes are single cylinder..light..2 disk brakes..EFI...ETC but 1 is marketed as a 250cc (rightly so) the other is not a 250..but 286 cc marketed as a 300cc (not true) But then the R3 is not a 300cc motorcycle at all is it?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I think their review of the Honda is spot on. That they give the Kawi top marks may come to personal preferences, or where the advertising money is coming from.
Let's not kid ourselves, the Honda 300 is a budget bike. This has to show somehow. I think Honda does a fantastic job in making the bike feel solid enough for the budget price, but it's still a "cheap" bike.
I wish someone would make a small-engine bike that looks/feels top notch. A beautiful swing arm, top quality suspension, etc. Who would be willing to pay for it, though. I wonder how the new BMW 310 is.
Everything you say above to me is correct...the Honda is a budget bike..but then the Kawasaki 250 SL is too.

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
Everything you say above to me is correct...the Honda is a budget bike..but then the Kawasaki 250 SL is too.
I think most of us looked at the competition before deciding on the CB300 R/F. Not sure why everyone wants to compare unless of course they think they made the wrong decision. Me, I tried all the 250's and 300's available and chose my cbr300r because I liked the build quality, handling and brakes etc. Also it does everything it says on the tin.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yes it is positive but there is some nip picking... I guess what erked me was that the 250 SL...with a less powerful engine/less peak torque/smaller fuel tank/ lower top speed.....got 5 stars across the board for...overall rating.....ride quality....build quality.....insurance costs/value....

While the CBR 300 R got 4 stars ...overall rating + insurance costs/value ..... 3 stars for ride quality/engine/build quality

To me it is stuff printed on the internet that gives "our" a bad wrap and little Johnny Boy Racer reads..into the review that "The CBR is crap"

At the end of the day...If WE like our little "Baby Blade" that is all that counts.....OK enough rant.:)

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
To me it is stuff printed on the internet that gives "our" a bad wrap and little Johnny Boy Racer reads..into the review that "The CBR is crap"

At the end of the day...If WE like our little "Baby Blade" that is all that counts.....OK enough rant.:)
That's the key bit mate, we know we're onto a good thing! :D

The trouble with those bike review jocks is they get to test the latest big bore blasters, which is probably what they get off on, then they get told to go and review a 300 or 250cc bike and its like they've been told to sweep the floor or go out back and count stock.
Of course the poor 300cc bike through no fault of its own feels like a lesser mortal to them and it comes through in their review.

But do we care particuarly? No. ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have no personal basis to comment as the only 250 I've ridden is my TU250 but I do think it worth noting that five owners gave their rating for the CBR and four gave it 5's while one gave it a 4 but only because he felt the sidestand was too long and made the bike subject to a tip over in heavy winds.

Seems those who have put their own money on the line are quite satisfied.

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
A positive review of a small bike.

This is one of the most excitable reviewers I have seen for a while. The guys a hoot, starts getting excited at 2:30 then more so at 5:00 once he starts the engine, by 8:30 he's sold on it and by 13:45 he's raving about the little Benelli.
Cant pick his accent but his excitement is contagious. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlvX_MYCpqI

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
You know you get a free curry if you get a new BM 310 :)

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
I have mentioned on other threads about how "our" 300's get a bum wrap. To me here is a case in point... 2 similar motorcycles...2 reviews from the same people. 1 motorcycle gets good reviews ( a new model) the other (our 300) gets mediocre reviews..

Sorry but I do not understand the thinking of the media..have a read if you wish and compare the 2..

MotoMike if this thread you feel should be moved..by all means do so..:)

KAWASAKI NINJA 250SL (2015-on) Review | MCN

HONDA CBR300R (2014-on) Review | MCN
CDN:
I am going to the Motorcycle Live bike show in London on 12 Feb, will have a chat with Honda UK and see what they are proposing to bring out in the near future e.g. are they upping the 300 to 350cc. Also why they don't import the CB300F to the UK. Also see what else the others are doing. http://www.mcnmotorcycleshow.com/

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
CDN:
I am going to the Motorcycle Live bike show in London on 12 Feb, will have a chat with Honda UK and see what they are proposing to bring out in the near future e.g. are they upping the 300 to 350cc. Also why they don't import the CB300F to the UK. Also see what else the others are doing. MCN London Motorcycle 2016
You lucky lucky man....My Mum was English and someday I would love to take a trip across the pond and see her "home" country and the MCN show...:)

Please keep up us posted

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
This is one of the most excitable reviewers I have seen for a while. The guys a hoot, starts getting excited at 2:30 then more so at 5:00 once he starts the engine, by 8:30 he's sold on it and by 13:45 he's raving about the little Benelli.

Kiwi
He sounds Dutch (Holland) to me, but was testing it in Lisbon Portugal. Just like a kid in a candy shop :)

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
You lucky luck man....My Mum was English and someday I would love to take a trip across the pond and see her "home" country and the MCN show...:)

Please keep up us posted
Will do CDN. I went to the other one last year at the NEC in Birminham, half way up country. London is only 45 minutes by train + 10mins on the tube for me. Reason for train: I can have a beer :)

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

The reviewer is Portuguese.. I have see several of his videos..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oRpz_lm-Zw <CBR 300 R

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmcOKMX3UNw <This is a hoot:D

·
Banned
1,070 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No problem.....You are probably correct....but he does speak Portuguese in other videos..

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
No problem.....You are probably correct....but he does speak Portuguese in other videos..
Agree the Dutch are great at learning languages. I can order beer in 8 languages also speak English, Canadian, New Zealand, Australian and American :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts